Following an extended period of close consultation with New Southern Energy (NSE), the decision was made to begin with our lodges situated in the environmentally-sensitive environment of Botswana’s pristine Okavango Delta, UNESCO’s 1 000th World Heritage Site.
NSE’s customised micro-grid solutions, using TESLA technology, have proved to be the ideal option for the remote locations of our Botswana and Namibian generator-based lodges, converting each site to run predominantly off renewable energy.
In addition, NSE provide a detailed monthly analysis of each system’s performance and energy savings, as per this example of the Sossusvlei Solar Report for March 2021.
What are the benefits of this integrated energy solution?
• Reliable, economic and effective way of reducing our direct carbon footprint
• Reduction in the dependence on fossil fuels (i.e. diesel usage)
• Reduction of: generator run-time, generator services and parts required, associated diesel transport costs and
risks; carbon emissions caused by generators and transport trucks and generator noise pollution
• Increased energy independence
• Reduced environmental risks from the transport of fuel into a sensitive natural habitat
• Reduced logistical and operational costs