COVID-19 arrived in Africa in late February 2020, and its effects have been felt throughout the continent
For Africa Foundation (AF), this crisis necessitated a new set of priorities to build the resilience of the vulnerable rural communities neighbouring our lodges, and the AF COVID-19 Campaign was created comprising six areas of focus:
- Clinic Support
- Water Access
- Food Assistance
- Business Support
- School PPE
Many of these are short to medium term initiatives outside Africa Foundation’s standard focus, in which they are working with other stakeholders and existing food banks.
2020 Milestones :
- 73 Communities supported
- 7 134 Food parcels distributed in Southern Africa
- 24 Rural clinics across all regions assisted
- 36 Schools and crèches across all regions supported
- 14 Boreholes repaired / drilled across all regions
- 11 000 Villagers benefit from new clinic in Zanzibar
- 215 Hippo Water Rollers funded
- 5 040 Vegetable-garden starter packs
- 1 300 Kenyan community members receive food support
- 511,934 USD raised towards COVID-19 projects in 2020
- Phase 1 Moya-Moyoka Secondary High School completed
What was raised in 2020?
Thanks to the rapid mobilised efforts of &Beyond and the AF teams in SA, UK and USA, USD 511,934 has been raised to date.
Funds deployed to date: