Your journey at a glance
Delight in a glorious 14-day family holiday that showcases the best of Sri Lanka, and provides great insight into the breathtaking natural beauty, rich culture and heritage, and unique history that weaves together the vibrant tapestry of this unique destination.
Enjoy relaxing days participating in an array of exiting activities such as cycling around a vast lush coconut plantation and interacting with welcoming locals in communities on nature walks. Observe devout reverence at the Temple of the Sacred Tooth Relic as pilgrims and devotees worship a fragment of the Buddha. Stroll around magnificently manicured Peradeniya Royal Botanical Gardens, marvelling at fragile gentle orchids. Discover a trio of stunning temples at Pilimatalawa and step back in time in the historic city of Trincomalee exploring the Old Dutch Fort and Koneswaram Temple. Laze on sun-kissed beaches and enjoy exciting water sports on the East Coast. Delve into the ancient city of Polonnaruwa, dotted with temples, palaces and monuments, and revel in a safari at Minneriya National Park, with sensational sightings of massive elephant herds. Climb to the top of the impressive Sigiriya Rock Fortress, and step into the unique Dambulla Cave Temple complex, an extraordinary World Heritage Site, brimming with exquisite Buddha statues and paintings. This is a sensational family experience, with a wealth of incredible experiences and memories, highlighting the uniqueness of this spectacular country.
PLAN YOUR JOURNEY
This unforgettable journey showcases just a few of our favourite experience combinations in this iconic destination. It is merely an example from which you can use to start dreaming and creating your own adventure with one of our dedicated Travel Specialists.
A taste of what to expect…
Day 1-2: Horathapola Estate
• Be met on arrival by an andBeyond representative and driven to Wadumunnegedra (approx. 1-hour drive).
• Stay at the Horathapola Estate, a plantation bungalow hidden amidst the beautiful lush landscapes of rural Sri Lanka.
• Meander around this fully functioning 50-acre organic coconut plantation, dating back to the early 1900’s.
• This is an ideal place to start your journey and relax and unwind before you set out to explore the rest of the Island.
• Hop on a bicycle and go for a leisurely ride, passing temples, plantations and farmlands.
• Stroll on a nature walk into the community to engage and interact with the friendly locals.
• Sit atop a bullock cart and traverse the lush expanse and gain insight into how this organic plantation works.
• Visit the local ‘pola’, a bustling farmers-market selling delicious fresh produce.
• Explore an organic coconut oil manufacturing plant.
• If you are an avid birdwatcher, there is a diverse array of kaleidoscopic birdlife painting the sky above.
Day 3-5: Kandy
• After breakfast at Horathapola Estate, proceed to Kandy (approx. 2 ½ hours’ drive).
• Kandy is Sri Lanka’s second largest city after Colombo and is given a UNESCO World Heritage status as a sacred city due to the importance of the Temple of the Sacred Tooth Relic.
• Arrive in Kandy, the hill capital of Sri Lanka and check-in to Kings Pavilion.
• Meander through the Peradeniya Royal Botanical Gardens and discover a vibrantly colourful montage of over 4 000 different species of plants and flowers.
• Explore the vibrant city of Kandy with your guide.
• Visit the Temple of the Sacred Relic Temple, the most revered site in Sri Lanka. While the tooth stays hidden within a gold casket, visitors and devotees always visit the temple during puja, the prayer session, just to glimpse the well-protected inner shrine where it is housed.
• Slip on your walking shoes and embark on a journey to three compelling temples. Located in the central highlands, just a few kilometres to the southwest of Kandy, a seven-kilometre path links the Embekke, Lankathilake and Gadaladeniya temples.
Day 6-9: Kuchchaveli
• Enjoy a delicious breakfast at Kings Pavilion and then proceed on a long journey to Kuchchaveli to the East Coast of Sri Lanka (approx. 4 ½ hours’ drive) where you while spend 4 nights at Jungle Beach.
• Take optional day excursions to the famous Koneswaram Temple, Fort Fredrick and Lovers Leap viewpoint with sweeping views from the summit of Swami Rock over the Trincomalee Harbour and its coastline where Blue Whales may occasionally be seen.
• Explore the Old Dutch Fort in Trincomalee. Fort Fredrick, also known as Trincomalee Fort or Fort of Triquillimale, is a fort built by the Portuguese.
• Pick and choose from a range of wonderful ocean activities, including snorkelling and frolicking in the sea.
• Hop on bicycles and take a leisurely cycle around the beautiful surroundings or try out a jet ski.
• Cast your line as you go deep sea fishing with the local fishermen.
• Choose to feast your way through a variety of superb restaurants, cafes and bars, tasting traditional Sri Lankan fare.
Day 10-12: Anuradhapura
• Venture to the East Coast to Anuradhapura (approx. 2 ½ hours’ drive).
• Explore Anuradhapura, the first ancient capital of Sri Lanka. On religious days, the city is filled with devotees paying homage to the various religious sites within the ancient city by first cleansing themselves in the manmade lake and then offering flowers and prayers to the Gods. On such days, the city can be a busy place, but this is a part of the wonderful experience of witnessing Buddhism through a living ancient city.
• Visit the second most ancient kingdom of Sri Lanka, Polonnaruwa, an ancient UNESCO World Heritage Site containing the archaeological remains of ancient structures of governance, temples, and statues that reflect the great works of the ancient Kings of Sri Lanka.
• Visit the Minneriya or Kaudulla national park in search of wild Asian elephants (approx. 45-minute drive). ‘The Gathering of Elephants’, which is ranked among the world’s top wildlife viewing spectacles runs from June – October each year. Each afternoon, around 150 – 200 individual elephants come out of the forest in to the open to graze on the fresh green pasture by the water’s edge.
• Climb the famous Sigiriya Rock Fortress (approx. 1 ½ hour drive). Referred to as ‘The Lion Rock’ by locals, Sigiriya became the capital during the reign of King Kashyapa in the 4th century A.D. A visit to the fresco gallery with its ancient paintings of the King’s maids in waiting and the Mirror Wall with ancient transcripts that closely match the modern-day Sinhalese language should also not be missed.
Day 13: Kotugoda
- After breakfast proceed to Kotugoda (approx. 4 hours’ drive).
- En-route explore the Rock Cave Temple in Dambulla famous for its rock paintings. It is among the best-preserved monastic temple cave complexes in Sri Lanka with 150 Buddha statues and painted walls and ceilings within a complex of five separate caves, which also includes some Hindu deities.
- Continue the journey from Dambulla to Kotugoda to your luxury private hideaway, an old colonial manor house boasting magnificent manicured gardens.
- Indulge in sumptuous cuisine in the restaurant, unwind with revitalizing spa treatments and take a dip in the sparkling swimming pool
- The next morning, wave a fond farewell as your family getaway comes to an end. You will be collected and driven to the airport for your international flight onward.
Tailormake your journey
Add these must-do experiences
- Accommodation at the Hotels and as per the meal plans mentioned above.
- All transport services using an air-conditioned vehicle, based on options provided.
- All sightseeing and related entrance charges as mentioned in the itinerary.
- We will be providing an English speaking Chauffeur Guide throughout the tour.
- Bottled water during sightseeing tours and long drives.
- All presently applicable government taxes.
What's not included
- Sri Lankan Visa
- Lunch and Dinner unless stated otherwise
- Beverages, unless stated otherwise
- Items of a personal nature such as laundry, phone calls etc.
- Any hotel early check-ins or late check-outs unless stated otherwise.
- Any Insurance
- International and domestic airfare unless stated otherwise.
- Tips for guides, airport and hotel porters and restaurants.
- Any change in tax structure resulting from the hike in published tariff.
- Any other item not explicitly mentioned under included price.
- Cost per person based on an air-conditioned vehicle with English speaking chauffeur guide throughout the tour on above-mentioned excursions and meal plan.
- Hotel Check-in 14:00, Check-out time 12:00
- Prices are subject to change as per change in Government / Hotel / Airline policy without prior notice.
- All rates are inclusive of taxes, Any further changes in taxes/levies will be charged extra as applicable
- Rates include only those items specified in your itinerary.
- Please note, the names of hotels mentioned above only indicate that our rates have been based on usage of these hotels. It is not to be construed that accommodation is confirmed at these hotels until and unless we convey the confirmations to you on receipt of your acceptance. However, in the event of any of the above-mentioned hotels not becoming available at the time of initiating the reservations, we shall book alternate accommodation at a similar or next best available hotel and shall pass on the difference of rates (supplement/reduction whichever is applicable) to you.
- In case of any currency fluctuations or amendments in local Government taxes, or any fuel hike, we reserve the right to adjust the tour price accordingly. The due increase or decrease will be communicated accordingly.
- Approximate drive times given in the itinerary are direct drive times and do not take into account any traffic situations, road repairs or stops along the way which might increase the time it takes to arrive at the destination.
- Please note that in most properties, the normal check-in time is 14:00 Hrs and normal check out time is 12:00 Hrs (noon). Please let us know If your flight is arriving prior to your normal hotel check-in time or if your departure flight is scheduled to depart later than the normal hotel check-out times, so that an early or latecheck-outt facility can be arranged.
- Rates are subject to change
- &Beyond Trading Terms apply
Channel your inner travel addict
You’re just 5 easy (and fun) steps away from creating your ideal Travel Dream Board.
Step 1: Select which part of the planet you wish to explore
Step 2: Clarify what kind of traveller you are
Step 3: Tick off those grand bucket list experiences that will fire your imagination
Step 4: Log in to create and add to your Dream Board
Step 5: Share & start dreaming