Your journey at a glance
This 11-day Small Group Journey ventures off-the-beaten-track on a life-changing river cruise in Assam, mystical land of blue hills, tea fields, exotic wildlife and architectural masterpieces; while promising signature experiences and exclusive adventures that are guided by specialist guides and naturalists.
Your journey begins briefly in Delhi, one of the oldest inhabited cities in the world with a history dating back over 3000 years. Explore Kaziranga National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and one of Asia’s greatest wilderness areas. Home to some of the finest wildlife viewing in Asia, everything seems larger than life here. Finally, spend a week cruising down the waterways of the Brahmaputra River and discover untouched, remote areas that remain hidden from the crowds. Encounter houses of worship, venerable temples, vast farming areas, rice paddies, and tribal and riverside villages that dot the banks. Learn the art of tea production at local tea gardens, visit the river island of Majuli where inhabitants live a devout way of life, and follow the peaceful Hindu practice of neo-Vaishnavism. To end, explore Sibsagar, once the capital of the Ahom kings of Assam in the 18th century, now a bustling agricultural and administrative town.
1 night Delhi | 2 nights Kaziranga | 7 nights Brahmaputra River Cruise
What we love about this journey
- &Beyond’s Small Group Journeys offers the opportunity to explore extraordinary landscapes, whilst enjoying the company of a group of like-minded enthusiasts, on a uniquely curated itinerary.
- This journey is unequalled in its ability to showcase a little known part of India, in an extraordinary landscape.
- Guided throughout by Toby Sinclair, expedition leader and private guide
- View iconic wildlife in Kaziranga, which includes 70% of the world’s one-horned rhinoceros population, herds of Asiatic elephant, Asiatic buffalo, eastern swamp deer and tigers.
- Cruise on the Brahmaputra River and encounter the endangered Ganges river dolphin and the smooth-coated otter.
- Meander through bustling towns such as Tezpur and Vishnath and gaining insight into the everyday life of the locals in remote villages.
- Explore the archaeological site of the ancient ruins of Deopahar Temple, known as the ‘Hill of God’
- Enjoy a delicious lunch at Haroo Charai Tea Estate, with a walk around the estate learning the intricate art of tea making
- Visit Majuli River Island, home to a microcosm of Assamese culture, showcasing a unique way of life.
- There is the opportunity to extend your trip and see the tigers in Ranthambhore National Park and the Taj Mahal in Agra.
05 – 16 February 2022 | 11 Days
USD 8,570 per person
Rate is based on a minimum of 10 and a maximum of 16 guests travelling.
- Accommodation on Twin share basis in hotels & vessel as per the meal plan mentioned above.
- All transfers as mentioned in 01 Air-Conditioned Coach in Delhi and during the excursions & transfer while on the cruise it will be either by Coach / Tempo Traveller Van / Toyota Innova. [The transport will be used as per availability and as per logistic feasibility].
- Welcome Dinner on Day1 with soft beverages.
- Services of an in-house naturalist during the safaris in Kaziranga and during the cruise are included.
- Services of an inhouse guide during the cruise is included.
- Services of an &Beyond Leader.
- All entrance and monuments fees.
- All current taxes as on date – subject to change as per hotel/airline/Government policy.
- Air fare as mentioned in the quote above.
What's not included
- Tipping to guides and drivers.
- Any Insurance and rescue of any form.
- Cost arising out of flight cancellation/road blockades/landslides/riots and events beyond our control.
- Expenses of personal nature and any other expenses not mentioned in the above cost.
- Any international air fare/airport taxes not mentioned above
- Any change in tax structure resulting from the hike in published tariff.
- Items of personal nature like tips, laundry, phone calls.alocohol.
- Any video/still camera fee to the monuments and places of visit
- Any other item not explicitly mentioned under “What’s Included”.
- Any airfare for domestic flights other than the quoted details.
- Any cost of the meals other than the ones indicated in room meal plan.
- Sightseeing and excursions other than those specified.
- Hotel Check-In 1400 hours, Check-out time 1200 Noon
- The river itinerary and day-to-day travel is subject to the flow of the river and navigable channels. These channels are often changed by the previous monsoon and precipitation upstream.
- Prices are subject to change as per change in Government / Hotel / Airline policy without prior notice.
- Rates include only those items specified in your itinerary.
- Please note, the names of hotels mentioned above only indicate that our rates have been based on usage of these hotels. It is not to be construed that accommodation is confirmed at these hotels until and unless we convey the confirmations to you on receipt of your acceptance. However in the event of any of the above mentioned hotels not becoming available at the time of initiating the reservations, we shall book alternate accommodation at a similar or next best available hotel and shall pass on the difference of rates (supplement/reduction whatever applicable) to you.
- In case on any currency fluctuations or amendment in local Government taxes, or any fuel hike, we reserve the right to adjust the tour price accordingly. The due increase or decrease will be communicated accordingly.
- The rates quoted are subject to change without prior warning, should there be any increases in Park Fees, Fuel, Sales Tax or VAT, third party services, or any other circumstances beyond our control in the regions featured in this quote/booking.
- All guests must take out comprehensive travel insurance covering them for personal effects, personal accident, medical and emergency travel expenses, cancellation and curtailment.
- In order to comply with international insurance requirements all airline tickets must clearly show the passenger’s title, surname, name and initial (as indicated in their passport). As this applies to both scheduled and charter flights we would be grateful if you could provide us with this information at the time of confirmation.
- Your internal flights have been organized by us. While we take the maximum care to ensure a safe and comfortable journey for you &Beyond is not responsible for the fitness of the carriers or the safety standards of the carrier company.
- In order to comply with International Insurance requirements &Beyond can only reserve seats, be it on a provisional or confirmed basis, on both domestic/scheduled or charter flights.
- Please note that fares may increase between time of booking, time of payment and the ticket being issued. Any costs incurred due to amendments will not be borne by &Beyond.
- &Beyond cannot be held responsible should airlines discontinue flights on certain routings or change scheduled timetables, resulting in missed connections etc. Should an amendment in a routing or itinerary be necessary we will re-quote you accordingly.
- Dietary Requirements: All dietary requirements can be catered for. When making your reservation, please advise us of any specific dietary requirements that you may have and these will be communicated through to the respective establishment.
- Gratuities: Tipping is at your discretion. However management of the establishment will be able to assist with guidelines
- &Beyond reserves the right to modify program itineraries, including arranged sightseeing, and substitute accommodations, including vessels and trains, at any time due to unforeseen circumstances or circumstances beyond &Beyond’s control. Every effort will be made to operate itineraries as planned, but alterations may occur after the final itinerary has been issued.
- &Beyond strongly recommends that the guests insure themselves against loss of deposit, cancellation charges, medical expenses and loss of personal possessions, and any other foreseeable loss or expense.
- Photography During Travel
- A. &Beyond reserves the right to take photographs or video during the operation of any program or part thereof and to use them for promotional purposes during the program and thereafter. By booking a program with &Beyond, guests agree to allow their images to be used in such photographs. Guests who prefer that their images not be used are asked to identify themselves to &Beyond representative at the beginning of their program.
- The use of DRONES are not allowed without permits in India.
- Guest Obligations:
- 1. Medical Conditions – the guest must notify &Beyond of any pre-existing medical conditions that might reasonably be expected to affect the Travel Arrangements. The guest agrees and acknowledges that &Beyond will not be liable for any loss or damage incurred by the guest as a result of any pre-existing medical condition or health issue of the Customer that may preclude, delay, affect or interfere with the Travel Arrangements.
- 2. Health Issues – It is the guests sole responsibility to
- a) obtain any vaccinations or take any other health precautions applicable to the country of travel;
- b) take all steps reasonably necessary (including, without limitation, the consultation of appropriate medical professionals) to identify whether they have any pre-existing medical conditions or health issues (whether known or unknown) that may preclude, delay, affect or interfere with the Travel Arrangements; and
- c) notify &Beyond if the guest has any pre-existing medical conditions or health issues that may preclude, delay, affect or interfere with the Travel Arrangements.
- Rates are subject to change.
- andBeyond Trading Terms apply.
PLAN YOUR JOURNEY
What to expect…
Day 1: Delhi
- Upon your arrival in bustling Delhi, you will be warmly welcomed by a representative from &Beyond who will personally assist you through customs and immigration and the baggage collection process. You will then be driven to your hotel.
- Delhi was established in 900 BCE and is the capital of the largest democracy of the world. Crammed to bursting point, the heart of the nation thrives with tombs, temples, monuments and ruins, all of which exist side by side with modern suburbs and glass and chrome skyscrapers.
- Spend the evening at a welcome dinner with your Private Guide and Expedition Leader, discussing the exciting adventure that awaits.
- Stay at the JW Marriott, which features stylish rooms and suites, personalised service and the ideal location for your stay in Delhi.
Day 2-3: Kaziranga
- Get an early start to the day, with a packed breakfast on the road and be driven to the airport to board your flight to Guwahati.
- Upon arrival at Guwahati Airport you will be met and driven through to Kaziranga (Approx. 4 hrs drive).
- The Jeep safaris explore a variety of habitats, forest, riverine, wetland, riverbanks, and extensive grasslands. Our experienced guides will interpret what is seen, explain the background to how the park handles annual floods, and the impact on the wildlife.
- Home to some of India’s largest mammals, Kaziranga boasts a thriving population of one-horned rhino, Asian elephant, tiger, and Asiatic wild buffalo.
- Keep your binoculars handy as the reserve is also a birdwatcher’s paradise, with almost 500 species such as the oriental honey buzzard, black-shouldered kite, white-tailed eagle and Himalayan griffon.
- View swamp deer in the vast grasslands or as they take refuge in water.
- Marvel at the Assamese macaque, the highly endangered golden langur, capped langur and the hoolock gibbon, India’s only ape.
- Spend two nights at the Diphlu River Lodge in eco-friendly cottages overlooking the river, park or verdant farmland.
Day 4: Brahmaputra River: Board the ABN Sukapha
- Today you will board the ABN Sukapha on the Brahmaputra River for your seven day cruise. This responsibly designed vessel features bamboo-panelled interiors, a spacious sundeck, spa, library, locally sourced fabrics from artisans, beautiful art pieces and large sliding glass windows offering spectacular views of the river.
- Home to many magnificent freshwater residents, the Brahmaputra River is one of the key waterways in Asia, spanning 3 848 km (2 391 miles) in length. The river drains the Tibetan plateau and then flows through India and Bangladesh. Along its journey it is fed by many smaller rivers and streams.
Day 5-10: Brahmaputra River Cruise
- Explore the town of Tezpur on a rickshaw and visit the Da Parbatia temple with its exquisitely carved portal and lintel that dates from the 5th & 6th century. Be captivated by thousand-year-old carved stones, and wander through the bustling market area. Time permitting, you will also visit the ruins of the 9th century Panchayatna Temple dedicated to Lord Vishnu on the Bamuni Hills.
- Meander around the small town of Vishnath, known for an Ahom-period Shiva temple.
- Gliding on the river, observe the banks where wild elephants sometimes are seen and once, memorably, even a tiger walking along the bank.
- There is a good chance of spotting the endangered Gangetic dolphin, especially near confluences with smaller tributaries.
- Drive to the recently excavated and spectacular temple at Deopahar, built in the 10th or 11th century, on the edge of the Deopani Reserve Forest. The ruins are extraordinary with the angular sculpture and decoration mirroring the styles from south-east Asia, while the circular base is unusual among Hindu temples. Little is known of the temple origins or who may have built it.
- Cruise upstream, past remote villages, and newly created river islands known as chars. Stop and walk through a bankside village, getting an insight into the life of rural Assam. Some of the villages along the river are home to the Mishing tribe that moved to the plains from the Himalayan foothills a few centuries ago.
- Explore villages and monasteries on Majuli Island, one of the world’s largest river islands. It is geologically a young island, carved on the flood plain, by a series of floods in the 18th century.
- Visit a monastery at Auniati with an eclectic museum and attend a dance performance at Kamalabari monastery.
- Learn the history and traditons of tea at Horu Charai tea estate, and sample various blends.
- Explore Sibsagar, the one-time capital of the Ahom kings of Assam during the 18th century. Here you can view distinctive buildings including the two-storey Rang Ghar used for watching sports, and the 18th-century Talatal Ghar.
Day 11: Departure
- This morning, drive for approximately 2½ hours to Dibrugarh Airport, passing through the colonial town of Dibrugarh. During WWII the runway at Dibrugarh was one of many US airfields built to supply the Chinese government with munitions and supplies.
- On arrival in Dibrugarh you will connect to your flight to Delhi.
- Upon arrival in Delhi you will be met and driven to the hotel JW Marriott where your the room is booked until departure.
- Wave a fond farewell as you are driven to Delhi Airport late evening to board your flight onwards where your adventure comes to an end.