Your journey at a glance
Embark on a family adventure. A real-life ‘Lion King’ journey, filled with the captivating characters and expansive landscapes celebrated in Disney’s classic.
Your journey plays out against the boundless plains and rugged outcrops of East Africa’s legendary Masai Mara, Serengeti, and Ngorongoro Crater: a photographer’s dream of picture-perfect light, coloured by the unrivalled hues of African sunrises and sunsets. Children will love this engaging and interpretive journey, as they learn about the ‘Circle of Life’ as it plays out in the bush in this cycle that’s as old as our planet.
This is the animated world in all its cinematic glory, complete with warthogs, clans of hyena, wildebeest migration herds, warthogs, baboons, zebra, giraffe, elephant, red-billed hornbills (named Zazu of course) and, holding centre stage, Africa’s ever-magnificent wild lions.
What we love about this journey:
- It’s a double celebration. We’re paying tribute to Disney’s new Lion King, and to Disney’s #ProtectThePride campaign in support of the Lion Recovery Fund, a global organisation dedicated to the future of Africa’s wild lions. Since the release of the original Lion King, the African wild lion population has halved!
- It has heart. The Lion Recovery Fund will receive a donation for every ‘Kings of the Jungle’ traveller.
- It has purpose. Participative lion conservation experiences with KopeLion, a beneficiary of the Lion Recovery Fund, and ensure that the living ‘Lion King’ story is continued for our children’s children.
- It’s a stunner. A heady mix of remarkable locations, unforgettable sightings, world-class guiding and legendary hospitality
- Make the most of your adventure, book your own dedicated vehicle and private guide, speak to your &Beyond travel specialist for the related cost of this alternative
PLAN YOUR JOURNEY
This unforgettable journey showcases just a few of our favourite experience combinations in this iconic destination. It is merely an example from which you can use to start dreaming and creating your own adventure with one of our dedicated Travel Specialists.
A taste of what to expect…
Day 1: Kenya, Nairobi
- On your arrival at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, a representative will welcome you and transfer you to your hotel in Nairobi.
- Once at the hotel, it’s time for “hakuna matata” (no worries): relax, recoup, and enjoy your beautiful surroundings.
- Enjoy a private visit to the Sheldrick Wildlife Trust (an elephant and rhino orphanage) followed by dinner at your Hotel. The private viewing takes place at 15h00, a scheduled feed time for the orphaned elephants lasts for 30-40 minutes. During this time you would be able to experience a personalized encounter with both the orphans and their Keepers. An employee from the trust will be present to explain about the project and the individual rescue stories of each elephant orphan in the nursery.
- The only city in the world with a national park on its doorstep, Nairobi is the hub of East Africa and is packed with unique attractions, from bustling markets to fascinating historical sites such as the Karen Blixen Museum.
- Named after a Maasai watering hole, ‘enkare nyarobi’, which means ‘place of cool waters’, the city is also known for its leafy streets and parks. A modern city with towering skyscrapers and imposing architecture, Nairobi also boasts a beautiful skyline.
Day 2-3: Kenya, Masai Mara: &Beyond Bateleur Camp
- You will be collected from your hotel for your early flight in to the Masai Mara, where you will be welcomed by the &Beyond Bateleur Camp team.
- From the moment you land in the Mara you will be captivated by the sights and sounds. Settle in before embarking on your first game drive. You should get to see a host of familiar characters, including Zazu and his fellow red-billed hornbills, gatherings of elephant, buffalo, giraffe, lion and cheetah, alongside wildebeest and zebra. At the camp we have many resident warthog, so look out for ‘Pumba’.
- Choose from a wonderful range of excursions over the next two days: game drives, nature walks, night drives, or at an additional cost, Maasai community visits.
- Catch the moment when the sunrise spills over the plains, lighting up the flat-topped acacias: the landscape that inspired the unforgettable opening scene of this African epic.
Day 4-5: Tanzania, Serengeti: &Beyond Klein's Camp
- In a remote corner of the game-rich Serengeti National Park, a 10,000 hectare (24,700 acre) wildlife concession leased from Maasai landlords offers guests an exclusive, Tanzanian safari at Klein’s Camp.
- Perched on the edge of the Kuka Hills, the Camp commands breathtaking views down the valley that borders the Serengeti and the Masai Mara National Reserve. Enjoy exclusive game viewing, thrilling night game drives, bush dining, Maasai culture and old-fashioned safari luxury.
Day 6-7: Tanzania, Serengeti: &Beyond Serengeti Under Canvas
- After breakfast, you’ll head to &Beyond Serengeti Under Canvas. This is seasonal mobile camp that changes location five times a year, as it shadows the migration.
- Here your adventure continues in this luxurious tented camp, complete with a private butler service, chandeliers, silver and crystal ware, and comfortable beds with fluffy duvets. Dinners are an idyllic lantern-lit affair, held under a canopy of stars.
- This mobile camp is designed to shadow the migration, providing optimal sightings of the mega herds of wildebeest and zebra, with an ever-present plethora of big cats in close attendance.
- Look out for ‘Shenzi’ and his cronies skulking in the shadows, hoping to scavenge a tasty morsel or two. Is ‘Scar’ perhaps close by?
- Gather around a roaring campfire to share stories of the day’s magic as the African night comes alive. Toast marshmallows over the camp fire, or sip a glass of full-bodied red wine.
Day 8-9: Tanzania, Ngorongoro Crater
- Today you head off to &Beyond Ngorongoro Crater, famed as an ancient caldera and unique ecosystem, and home to a teeming gathering of game that has echoes of the animated classic.
- Take pleasure in the dramatic contrast of the lodge’s baroque elegance, and the drop-away views onto this UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Spend a day in the Crater, looking for big tuskers and the endangered Rhino.
- Stretch your legs and do a guided crater rim walk, or book a full-day Empakai hike, a birdwatcher’s heaven.*
- We highly recommend participating in a KOPELion conservation experience, or meeting the lion guardians that are working to secure Simba’s future in the wild.* (Be sure to book this activity in advance)
- Toast the day with sundowner cocktails to the accompaniment of a private performance by Maasai warriors.*
*These activities are at an additional cost
Day 10: Departure
- After breakfast wave a fond farewell to the &Beyond Ngorongro Crater Lodge team as your family adventure comes to an end.
- You will be driven to Manyara Airstrip for your flight to Kilimanjaro and your onward connection.
- Standard meet and greet service at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport
- Dinner & Breakfast at Hemingways Nairobi
- &Beyond Lodge inclusions: Three meals daily, soft drinks, house wines, local brand spirit and beers, teas and coffees, refreshments on game drives, laundry and safari activities.
- Private visit to Sheldrick Trust
- All scheduled road transfers:
- Jomo Kenyatta International / Hemingways Nairobi / Wilson Airport
- Kichwa Airstrip / &Beyond Kichwa Tembo Tented Camp / Kichwa Airstrip
- Migori / Tarime
- Manyara Airstrip / &Beyond Ngorongoro Crater Lodge / Manyara Airstrip
- All scheduled flights:
- Wilson Airstrip / Kichwa Airstrip
- Kichwa Airstrip / Wilson Airport
- Kilimanjaro International Airport / Lobo Airstrip or Grumeti Airstrip
- Lobo Airstrip or Grumeti Airstrip/ andBeyond Serengeti Under Canvas
- &Beyond Serengeti Under Canvas / Manyara Airstrip
- Manyara Airstrip / Kilimanjaro Airport
- National park fees / Conservancy fees / Camping fees
- Crater fees at Ngorongoro Crater
- Tanzania Tourism Development Levy
- Emergency medical evacuation insurance
- Administration fee
What's not included
- Travel Insurance is not included. However, should you be interested, we can introduce you to our recommended partner, Global Rescue.
Read MoreGlobal Rescue has been operating across the globe for a number of years, and is an independent service provider to &Beyond, with no legal affiliation to our company. Should you wish to procure travel insurance products through Global Rescue, such services or products will be governed by terms and conditions solely determined by Global Rescue. It is wholly your responsibility to be fully acquainted with Global Rescue’s terms and conditions contained on its website regarding the use of its services or its products prior, to, and after, your purchase.
- Rates are per person sharing per stay
- Single traveller supplement and child rates will be quoted on request
- Child sharing rates are for children between 6 and 16 years of age. Children aged 5 years and younger do not qualify for the offer and will be quoted on normal rates. Please ask us to quote on child rates.
- &Beyond Grumeti Serengeti River Lodge: Closed due to rebuild and revamp and will reopen on 6 June 2022
- Package not valid for any family rooms
- A group supplement may apply to bookings for more than 12 guests
- andBeyond may need to pass on flight cancellation or amendment costs in the event of cancellation or change in travel dates. No credits are permitted for flights not used.
- Validity periods are as specified above - should a booking fall over two rate periods the rate will change and we reserve the right to re-quote
- The Fly Me Around East Africa offer is only valid for seven nights’ accommodation – on the last night our Long Stay Signature offer was used.
- The rates quoted are subject to change without prior warning if there are any increases in bed levies, park fees, fuel, sales tax or VAT, third-party services or any other circumstances beyond our control in the countries featured in this quote.
- Certain activities may only apply at specific properties.
- Additional suggested activities not included in the rate
- &Beyond trading terms apply.
Tailormake your journey
Add these must-do experiences
Channel your inner travel addict
You’re just 5 easy (and fun) steps away from creating your ideal Travel Dream Board.
Step 1: Select which part of the planet you wish to explore
Step 2: Clarify what kind of traveller you are
Step 3: Tick off those grand bucket list experiences that will fire your imagination
Step 4: Log in to create and add to your Dream Board
Step 5: Share & start dreaming