The spirit of &Beyond Bateleur Camp
Tucked away at the foot of the scenic Oloololo escarpment (the rim of the Great Rift Valley) in Kenya’s iconic Masai Mara National Reserve, is the classic and elegant &Beyond Bateleur Camp.
Here, amidst the reserve’s astounding year-round concentration of animals, including the Great Wildebeest Migration, guests can experience an unsurpassed wildlife experience.
This romantic and totally private camp reflects the ambiance of Kenyan safaris of the ‘20s and ‘30s and is situated below the scenic location where the famous final scene of the movie Out of Africa was filmed.
Adventures at &Beyond Bateleur Camp include twice-daily game drives, including spot-lit night drives. The camp also offers a range of additional activities such as bush walks, hot air balloon safaris and community excursions that include soul-tickling interactions with the Maasai.
Why we love it
- Day and night game drives, bush walks and hot air ballooning available nearby
- Breathtaking views over the Masai Mara – set just below the spot where Out of Africa’s famous final scene was filmed
- Ambiance of classic Kenyan safari
- Community visit, including interaction with the Maasai
- Perfect for wildlife enthusiasts, first time and repeat travellers, nature lovers, photographers, birders
Set among forests on the very edge of the Masai Mara, the intimate &Beyond Bateleur Camp reflects the ambiance of Kenyan explorers of old.
Guest areas bring in the vast open spaces, adding a touch of vintage safari elegance. Intriguing antiques, hand-crafted artefacts and keepsakes of bygone times mingle with cushy sofas and polished leather chairs. Shiny brass compasses, leather trunks and framed maps bring a poignant reminder of old world travellers on a similar journey, while bookshelves of bound tomes entertain and inform. The warm glow of torches and candles welcome you home from your evening drive. Fine china, crystal and silver sparkle in the torchlight as the aromas of delicious meals waft on the breeze.
A deep, refreshing lap pool provides cool comfort in between game viewing adventures. Delicious meals are served in a memorable setting beneath the stars, followed by fireside port and cigars. Bush breakfasts and romantic sundowners on the edge of the Rift Valley offer an unforgettable African experience.
&Beyond Bateleur Camp is closed from the 8th January 2018 to 7th March 2018
The camp will receive a complete refurbishment over the coming months with the new camp offering spacious tented suites which retain the authenticity, intimacy and classic safari atmosphere while including new details such as built-in daybeds set on spacious verandas, lighter interiors and convenient butler hatches. A stone courtyard will be accessed through the beautifully redesigned bathrooms.
The camp will also boasts the following new amenities;
- A massage sala situated next to a tranquil water feature will be a brand new addition to the camp’s guest areas
- A well-equipped fitness centre will cater for active travellers
- An elegant coffee and gin bar will take pride of place
- A well-stocked Safari Shop will be on hand for a spot of retail therapy
- A spacious family suite has been planned to cater for families travelling together