Your journey at a glance
Truly a once-in-a-lifetime photographic and wildlife experience, &Beyond’s Snow Leopard Journey offers an unmissable opportunity to meet Asia’s “mountain ghost” whilst travelling to a selection of India’s most iconic destinations. The Trans-Himalayan region of Ladakh, known as ‘Little Tibet’, has been hailed as one of the last frontiers for wildlife tourism. This incredible 12-day winter expedition meets the elements head-on, in an awe-inspiring landscape in the Himalayan region of Ladakh, in search of the elusive snow leopard and other incredible Himalayan wildlife.
1 night Delhi | 2 nights Leh | 7 nights Ulley | 1 night Leh
What we love about this journey:
- Caters for a maximum of just 8 guests, which guarantees flexibility and exclusivity.
- Led by an expert snow leopard guide who offers incredible insight on the region’s cultural heritage.
- Set out in search of the elusive snow leopard, and explore three valleys, which are also home to other unique wildlife including ibex, Tibetan antelope, blue sheep, shapo, marmot and the Tibetan hare.
- Visit the Snow Leopard Conservancy and learn about the efforts made by the local authorities, and community, to conserve this endangered species.
- Spend seven nights living with a Ladakhi family, understanding their unique lifestyle.
- Explore the Thiksey monastery, the most beautifully situated monastery in Ladakh, perched high on a hill above the Indus River.
- Venture out on foot, and by 4×4 vehicle, and gain insight into the region’s fascinating folklore, customs and traditions.
- Travel to the ancient Alchi Gompa monastery, located on the south bank of the Indus River.
- Includes a USD 200 donation per guest to the Snow Leopard Conservancy in Leh.
Limited departures | 12 Days
USD 6,891 per person
Set departure dates for 2020:
2 – 13 February 2020
16 – 27 February 2020
- All meals
- Internal flights in economy
- Day 1 in Delhi on Bed and Breakfast
- All Activities in Ladakh
- Entrance fee of monasteries
- Transportation for snow leopard sightings
- Donation fee for snow leopard conservation
- Services of a Tour leader from: Day 2-12 in Ladakh
What's not included
- Any expenses of personal nature including alcohol, laundry, gratuities etc.
- International airfares
- Medical / Travel Insurance
- Any expenses arising due to unavoidable circumstances beyond our control.
- Any change in tax structure
- Travel Insurance is not included. However, should you be interested, we can introduce you to our recommended partner, Global Rescue.
Read MoreGlobal Rescue has been operating across the globe for a number of years, and is an independent service provider to &Beyond, with no legal affiliation to our company. Should you wish to procure travel insurance products through Global Rescue, such services or products will be governed by terms and conditions solely determined by Global Rescue. It is wholly your responsibility to be fully acquainted with Global Rescue’s terms and conditions contained on its website regarding the use of its services or its products prior, to, and after, your purchase.
- The rate is valid for the below dates mentioned;
- 2 – 13 February 2020
- 16 – 27 February 2020
- The rate is based on a minimum of 8 guests travelling. Should the number of guests be less than 8, we would need to re-quote.
- Check in time at the hotels is 1300 hrs and check out time is noon.
- The quote is per person and based on sharing the same room.
- Single room will attract a single room supplement .
- Transport in Delhi and Leh will be in Toyota Innova car.
- Air fare for internal flights is based on present schedule fare in economy class and is subject to increase .
- This offer only applies to the hotels specifically mentioned in the itinerary.
- Rates are subject to change
- &Beyond trading terms apply
Plan your journey
What to expect…
Day 1: Delhi
- Upon your arrival in bustling Delhi, you will be warmly welcomed by a representative from &Beyond who will personally assist you through customs and immigration and the baggage collection process.
- Afterwards, you will be chauffeured to the Trident Hotel Gurgaon, where luxury and convenience converge, blending the natural elements and luxury of space, water and light into its design.
- Located just 30 minutes from Delhi international airport, Trident Hotel Gurgaon is conveniently close to magnificent attractions.
- If time allows, enjoy some of the sites and sounds of bustling Delhi
Day 2-4: Leh
- Leh sits at 11400 feet and the flight up from the plains means that you have to acclimatize gently without pushing yourself.
- Spending 2 ½ days here is a minimum requirement as you will be going to a higher altitude and will be doing a fair amount of walking.
- Meet with staff from the Snow Leopard Conservancy for a briefing on the history of snow leopard conservation in Ladakh.
- Gain insight into the current threats that snow leopards face and the strategies adopted to combat these threats.
- Explore Leh, a fascinating labyrinth of winding streets and quaint bazaars.
- Enjoy the unique culture – Leh is very Tibetan; the national dress, ‘stove-pipe’ hats and felt boots with turned-up toes are evident wherever you look.
- Visit the Royal Palace, which dominates the town, and is very reminiscent of Tibetan Buddhist monasteries.
- Visit the Thiksey monastery, the most beautifully situated monastery in Ladakh, perched high on a hill above the Indus.
- Set out for an extraordinary drive eastwards towards the local villages.
- The scenery is dramatic and you have a chance of sighting wildlife including blue sheep, golden eagles and bearded vultures.
- Rafts of red-billed choughs perform synchronized aerobatics and in the fallow fields you have the chance of seeing the very beautiful Tibetan partridge and the more common Chukor partridge.
Day 4-11: Ulley
- Enjoy another beautiful scenic drive through local villages and visit one of Ladakh’s famous Buddhist monasteries. This is snow leopard country.
- Smaller valleys intersect this area and your guides will have their heads craned at all times, scanning the hillsides and skyline for any predatory silhouettes.
- This is also excellent ibex country and there are few more evocative sights than a magnificently horned male ibex standing vigil on an impossibly narrow outcropping, a few thousand feet over a plunging cliff.
- Ulley village, west of Leh, is an area that is only recently being developed for snow leopard viewing.
- Here, you will be staying at the enchanting Snow Leopard Lodge where you will live with a Ladakhi family for seven nights, in the depths of winter, understanding their lifestyle, sharing the large, warm kitchens that are the heart of a Ladkahi home.
- Ulley is that it is relatively free of tourism and the chaos that has enveloped the first snow leopard destination of Rumbak.
- Explore three valleys, which, apart from snow leopards, are great for finding urial, ibex, wolf and Himalayan fox.
- Venture into the area on foot and by 4×4 vehicle, with your expert guide.
- Your guide will interact closely with the local people and use his network of local intelligence to narrow down the likely sites.
Day 11-12: Leh
- Head back to Leh and explore an ancient Tibetan monastery called Alchi, situated on the south bank of the Indus River.
- Established in 1000 AD by Rinchen Zangpo, the monastery is rumoured to have taken 33 sculptors and wood carvers from Kashmir to complete.
- After your tour, you will continue onwards to Leh and spend one night at The Grand Dragon before waving a fond farewell to the rest of the group and heading home.
Day 13: Departure
Today, you will be collected for your flight to Delhi. Upon arrival, you will be driven to the JW Marriott Hotel, where you can freshen up before your homeward flight later this evening.