Your journey at a glance
Offering a sea and safari adventure off the beaten track, this itinerary combines a journey through one of Tanzania’s more remote and undisturbed wildlife areas with rest and relaxation on the shores of a private tropical island.
Boasting dramatic landscapes inhabited by a great diversity of wildlife, the Selous offers an elite and undisturbed game viewing experience. Explore one of Tanzania’s most pristine landscapes by vehicle and on foot, getting an intimate glimpse into this fascinating environment. From here, travel on to the flawless beaches of Zanzibar, where you can discover an underwater wonderland while diving or snorkelling in balmy Indian Ocean waters.
Indulge in a secluded getaway far from the crowds, with the perfect balance of game viewing and relaxation
PLAN YOUR JOURNEY
This unforgettable journey showcases just a few of our favourite experience combinations in this iconic destination. It is merely an example from which you can use to start dreaming and creating your own adventure with one of our dedicated Travel Specialists.
A taste of what to expect…
Day 1: Dar es Salaam
- You will be met by an &Beyond representative upon arrival at Dar es Salaam International Airport and assisted onto a scheduled transfer into Dar es Salaam
- Despite its name, which means “abode of peace” in Arabic, Dar es Salaam is Tanzania’s largest and busiest city. It is the country’s most important business and commercial hub and is situated right on the Indian Ocean
- Enjoy your evening at your hotel, The Oyster Bay
Day 2-6: Selous Game Reserve
- You will be transferred back to Dar es Salaam Airport (Domestic terminal) to board your scheduled Coastal Aviation flight to the Lower Selous
- Secluded and off the beaten track, the Selous Game Reserve offers visitors a slice of undisturbed wilderness, teeming with a spectacular array of fauna and flora. It was declared a World Heritage Site due to its dramatic landscapes and great diversity of wildlife. The Selous is one of the few big game reserves to allow hiking, offering wildlife enthusiasts the chance to explore Tanzania’s pristine landscapes on foot.
- Search for the Big 5 on a game drive. Game drives in the Selous uncover a vast and largely undiscovered land of plenty . Expect to encounter vast herds of buffalo of over 120 000 animals, large families of hippo and exceptionally big groups of antelope and other wildlife. Selous is also a sanctuary for less frequently encountered species such as the endangered African wild dog, the elegant sable and the puku antelope.
- Explore the sinuous waterways of the Rufiji by boat when the river’s waters are high or cruise one of its many tranquil lakes during the low water season.
- Sip sundowners or enjoy a delicious meal while watching the herds coming down to drink and getting to know a wonderful variety of beautiful bird species.
- Explore the Selous on foot on a walking safari, stopping frequently in the shade as your guide explains the fascinating nuances of the bush and its smaller species.
- Choose to go fly camping and spend the night in a tent by the river’s edge, drinking in the grunts of hippos and the sounds of the African night. Basic and yet comfortable, this traditional safari is ideal for the adventurous traveler looking for an intimate taste of African nature.
Day 7-10: Zanzibar
- Depart the Selous on your scheduled Coastal Aviation flight to Zanzibar Airport
On arrival you will be met by an &Beyond representative who will assist you onto a road transfer to your hotel.
- Dive or snorkel the brilliantly coloured reefs, an average water temperature of 26ºC / 79º and visibility of 30 to 40 metres / 100 to 130 feet, as well as truly staggering range of marine wildlife, make this an unforgettable diving destination
- Do a scuba diving course for those who would love to further explore the marine world. A variety of courses are offered
- Align your body and mind or indulge in your favourite massage, body scrub or wellness treatment, with the best natural and organic products on offer
- In addition to wonderful wellness treatments, indulge in a yoga class placed against the background of a clear ocean.
- Snorkelling is ideal for those who do not wish to do a scuba diving accreditation but who want to confidently explore the shallower coral reefs
Day 10: Departure
After breakfast depart by boat to the crossing point, where an &Beyond representative will meet and transfer you to Zanzibar International Airport. At the airport board your scheduled Coastal Aviation flight to Dar es Salaam.