Ideal for multigenerational families
Exciting adventure activities for one and all
Phenomenal photographic opportunities await
Encounter a multitude of exquisite wildlife
Fascinating culture heritage and learnings
Your journey at a glance
Your family is going to love this 10-day journey that explores Peru’s signature destinations of Lima, the Sacred Valley, Machu Picchu, Cusco, and the Amazon
Filled to the brim with adventure and opportunities to learn about ancient civilisations, this is a journey that will immerse the young (and the young at heart) in a range of experiences that promises to thrill all the senses.
Kick-start your journey with an overnight stop in Lima.
Next, explore the Sacred Valley. Here, you can dive into exciting outdoor activities such as mountain biking, trekking, horseback riding, river rafting, paddle boarding, and zip-lining. Introduce your children to the local culture and learn about ancient traditions or take a trip to the historic salt mines to discover the Incan salt mining process. Hop aboard the luxurious Vistadome train (such fun for the kids) as your adventure extends to an exploration of the ancient citadel of Machu Picchu, a bucket-list experience that you and your family will never forget.
The next leg of your adventure takes you and your loved ones to the Incan capital of Cusco that boasts an invitingly festive atmosphere. This enchanting city balances age-old Peruvian traditions with Spanish colonial elegance and offers peaceful courtyards, centuries-old passageways, lively European-style squares, temples and sacred hillside sanctuaries. This UNESCO World Heritage Site is also known for its wonderful markets, great, colourful bazaars where the kids can gain awesome insight into local culture.
The last stop in this adventure-filled itinerary is the Amazon. This rainforest will enchant all. Encounter a multitude of exquisite wildlife, engage with the Amazon’s indigenous inhabitants and enjoy unrivalled water excursions.
PLAN YOUR JOURNEY
This unforgettable journey showcases just a few of our favourite multi-generational family experiences in Peru. It is merely an example from which you can use to start dreaming and creating your own tailormade adventure with one of our dedicated Travel Specialists.
A taste of what to expect…
Day 1: Lima
- Welcome to Peru! Upon arrival at Lima International Airport, your family will be welcomed by an &Beyond representative and escorted to Costa del Sol Wyndham Lima Airport Hotel, where you can stretch your legs, rest and freshen up before your adventure begins.
Day 2: Sacred Valley of the Incas
- This morning you will be escorted across the road to the Lima Airport for your flight to Cusco. On arrival your guide will be waiting for you and your family, to drive you to the Sacred Valley of the Incas.
- Nestled at the foot of verdant hills the beautiful Río Urubamba Valley, known as El Valle Sagrado, is where you will find the Sacred Valley – a gorgeous place for the family to explore together.
- Visit Awanacancha, a project that preserves ancient textile-making techniques and watch a weaving demonstration.
- Great fun for children; spending time at an interactive animal farm where they can feed unusual animals such as llamas, alpacas, vicuñas and guanacos.
- Do some shopping in the local village of Pisac, famous for its colourful market, brimming with local sweaters, ponchos, wall hangings, jewellery, local handicrafts, and unique souvenirs.
Day 3: Sacred Valley of the Incas
- Boasting a magnificent natural setting, the Sacred Valley of the Incas can be appreciated for its rich flora and fauna, bird watching, and lots of fun adventure sports for the whole family, as well as its archaeological wealth.
- Choose between a variety of exciting activities such as river rafting, mountain biking, horseback riding, quad biking (ATV), kayaking, paddle boarding & via ferrata (rock climbing) and ziplining – there really is something for everyone in the family.
- Relish a delectable lunch at Wayra Ranch, where you will all enjoy of a traditional Peruvian barbecue and a Paso horse demonstration.
Day 4: Sacred Valley of the Incas
- This morning your family will visit Chinchero, a small Andean Indian village located high up on the windswept plains of Anta. The village is created of mud brick (adobe) houses, and locals still go about their business in traditional dress.
- The major attraction is the colourful market laden with beautiful, handcrafted items, a great opportunity for the family to shop up a storm!
- Continue to Moray, a fascinating system of circular agricultural terraces (considered a crop lab), used to create micro-climates and grow various products.
- Enjoy a delicious lunch and visit Maras, the salt mines, or the famous ‘salt pools’, still in use today. Visit the salt mines and explore them along narrow paths and watch locals harvest the salt, a process that hasn’t changed in thousands of years.
Day 5: Machu Picchu
- Today, you and the family have the opportunity to visit the town of Ollantaytambo, with its Inca streets of stone, traditional square homes, and small markets. Explore its ruins and take a gentle hike together up to an Incan temple for a majestic view of the town.
- After your fascinating explorations, you’ll depart from Ollantaytambo Train Station to Machu Picchu on the Vistadome train. An exciting train journey awaits – the kids will be captivated as they watch the valleys, mountains and quaint villages pass by the train’s large, panoramic windows.
- Explore the fascinating citadel of Machu Picchu for three hours accompanied by your expert guide. Discover the myths, stories and theories shrouding this mysterious masterpiece. Your guide will lead you through the site, providing archaeological and historical information on key areas of interest, including Intihuatana (the Sun Dial), the Sacred Plaza, and the Temple of the Sun.
- Surrounded by the cloud forest, you’ll see the heights of the mountain, Wayna Pikchu (Huayna Picchu), rising over the site, and Inti Punku (the Sun Gate) once a fortress of Machu Picchu and the entrance point to the Machu Picchu Inca trail.
Day 6: Cusco
- This morning, wake the kids early for a walk-through Machu Picchu at sunrise, a very special time together.
- Enjoy the option to do one or two of these hikes, don’t forget snacks for the kids:
- Huayna Picchu – one of the highlights of a visit to Machu Picchu. The views of the Citadel and surrounding landscape are extraordinary from the top and well worth the climbing effort.
- Inti Punku or Sun Gate – it takes about an hour each way and is an uphill strenuous hike on the way out to the Gate.
- Inca Bridge – constructed of a few narrow logs perched above a sheer vertical drop – is believed to have served as a secret entrance to Machu Picchu.
- Machu Picchu Mountain – large granite steps comprise most of its trail and wind all the way to the top. The steep climb is a challenging but rewarding hike and the 360-degree views at the top are a gorgeous reward.
- Spend the rest of the morning exploring Machu Picchu with your guide and, in the afternoon, board the train to Cusco.
Day 7: Cusco
- This morning, your family will embark on a guided city tour of historical Cusco, magnificently preserved, and resplendent with colonial architecture. Beautiful Spanish colonial buildings neighbour Incan walls lining the square, and a contemporary thriving nightlife flourishes.
- Visit notable sites in this archaeological capital of South America, once the Incan capital. Visit the Main Square, the Cathedral, the churches of La Compañía and Santo Domingo. Your morning tour will end with a visit to the impressive fortress of Sacsayhuamán, built overlooking the city of Cusco.
Day 8: Amazon
- This morning, your family will be driven to Cusco Airport for your flight to Puerto Maldonado.
- Upon landing, you will embark, on a 45-minute boat ride along the Madre de Dios River to arrive at your lodge in the Amazon.
- After a short briefing, settle in, enjoy lunch in the dining room and the kids (or adults too) can have a little nap.
- An unforgettable family adventure waits as you all meet with your Amazon guide to decide on the afternoon excursion. Our recommendation is a guided walk along the trails of this protected natural area, where you will discover the Amazon Basin. This trek offers an excellent introduction to the jungle environment, winding past impressive trees such as the Shihuahuaco medicine tree, and the strangely beautiful strangler fig. This is also a wonderful opportunity for bird watching and the kids will love observing exotic insects.
- Enjoy a twilight river excursion, a guided afternoon boat ride on the Madre de Dios River. Witness the transformation from day to night, where animals and birds of the daytime give way to species specially adapted to the night.
- Enjoy dinner served in the main dining room and chat about your experiences in the rainforest, listening to the intriguing sounds of the jungle at night.
Day 9: Amazon
- Enjoy breakfast and then visit Lake Sandoval in the Tambopata National Reserve. Glide in a wooden canoe, across a beautiful, mirror-like oxbow lake that is home to the endangered giant river otter, as well as red howler monkeys, red-bellied macaws, anacondas, side-neck turtles, and black caimans (crocodiles).
- Explore the remarkable Inkaterra Canopy Walkway and Anaconda Walk. Your treetop tour begins by ascending the first tower to 29 m (95 ft). Then you’ll walk through the lush rainforest canopy on a suspension bridge network linking eight observation platforms. Look out for bright toucans, woodpeckers, trogons, monkeys and the three-toed sloth – a wonderful experience!
Day 10: Departure
- A 45min return trip by boat on the Madre de Dios River takes you to Puerto Maldonado, where your family will visit the Butterfly House, the last stop on your Peruvian family adventure. Peru boasts the greatest variety of butterflies in the world, with 3 700 known species.
- Following the tour, we wave a fond farewell to your family as you are taken to the Puerto Maldonado International Airport for your flight to Lima. Upon landing in Lima, we will assist you with your international flight connection.
- All nights of accommodation mentioned in the program
- Private transportation in the best available vehicles in each city
- Private English speaking local guides
- Amazon transfers and excursions non-private (shared)
- Meals as indicated in the program
- Entrance tickets to Machu Picchu and all sites mentioned in the itinerary
- Vistadome train tickets to /from Machu Picchu
- Taxes included, where applicable
What's not included
- International Airfare / Airport taxes
- Domestic Air Tickets and local airport tax (quoted separately) - Lima/Cusco/Puerto/Lima approximately USD 750 per person
- Early check in or late check-out charges
- Items of personal nature like laundry, phone calls, etc.
- Any video/still camera fee during the trip
- Excess baggage
Conditions*Based on 6 guests sharing double accommodation (3 rooms)
- Rates are valid for: 15 January - 15th December 2021
- Rates include only those items specified in your itinerary
- The rates quoted are subject to change without warning if there are any increases in Peru
- &Beyond reserves the right to modify program itineraries, including arranged sightseeing, and substitute accommodations, including vessels and trains, at any time due to unforeseen circumstances or circumstances beyond &Beyond’s control. Every effort will be made to operate itineraries as planned, but alterations may occur after the final itinerary has been issued
- Rates are subject to change
- &Beyond trading terms apply
Tailormake your journey
Add these must-do experiences
Channel your inner travel addict
You’re just 5 easy (and fun) steps away from creating your ideal Travel Dream Board.
Step 1: Select which part of the planet you wish to explore
Step 2: Clarify what kind of traveller you are
Step 3: Tick off those grand bucket list experiences that will fire your imagination
Step 4: Log in to create and add to your Dream Board
Step 5: Share & start dreaming