At the centre of this region is the captivating city of Salta, which means “beautiful” in the language of the Aymara people. This now flourishing metropolis offers a beautiful mix of old and new, where you will find modern architecture accentuated by colonial-era buildings.
Salta offers a laid-back atmosphere where every aspect of the day is taken in its stride. This all changes over Carnival where the citizens of the city spill into the streets to celebrate Pachamama.
There are various museums, architectural delights and markets that will keep you busy in the city. Be sure to visit the Plaza 9 de Julio, the Museo Arqueologia de Alta Montana, the Iglesia de San Francisco and the Catedral Basilica de Salta
- Spend a toe-tapping evening enjoying the live música folklórica (folk music) of Salta’s popular peñas (folk music clubs).
- Experience Carnival, which marks the start of lent and where the citizens of the city spill into the streets to celebrate Pachamama, every year on 01 August.
- Explore the various museums, architectural delights and markets in Salta. Be sure to visit the Museo Arqueologia de Alta Montana, the Iglesia de San Fransisco, Catedral Basilica de Salta and fall in love with the leafy Plaza 9 de Julio that features a charming mix of Spanish colonial, baroque and neo-classical architecture.
- Salta is the perfect base from which to launch excursions into the stunning surrounding Calchaqui valleys.
- Discover the awe-inspiring salt flats of Salta.
Min 24°C/75°F Max 32°C/90°F
Min 8°C/46°F Max 23°C/73°F