Beautiful Mendoza is the gateway city for an authentic Argentine Winelands experience. Recognised as the Wine Capital of Argentina, this enchanting destination’s signature trademarks are its leafy avenues with Av San Martin taking pride of place as the main street and its beautiful plazas and acequias (irrigation ditches), fed by the Mendoza and Tunuyan Rivers, which line every facet of the city. One can expect a truly cosmopolitan and stylish ambience when visiting one of the many eateries that pay homage to the region’s finest produce and, of course, wines.
The city is guarded by the Andes Mountains to the west and surrounded by over 400 different estates from the iconic vineyards of Catena Zapata and Alta Vista to the boutique, high-premium wines of Benegas or Finca Decero and the unique joint-venture estates of Baron the Rothschild with the Catena Family to create the best Malbec and Cabernet of Argentina.
Mendoza is also the perfect destination from which to conquer the Aconcagua Mountain, the second highest of the Seven Summits, behind Mount Everest. A stopover in Mendoza will never be quite enough, which is why the destination often has a swelling of repeat travellers.
- Mendoza is one of the great wine capitals of the world, offering exceptional vineyards with an assortment of varieties as well as spectacular eateries and a range of additional adventures.
- This is also the perfect destination from which to conquer the Aconcagua Mountain.
- The wineries surrounding Mendoza are world-class and range from craft estates to breathtaking architectural masterpieces. You will have the opportunity to engage with the winemakers directly and embark on various tours of the estates and wine-making processes.
- Retail therapy is a must when visiting Mendoza. The town boasts an eclectic mix of artisan and handicraft stores that will have you filling your suitcases quickly.
- The nightlife in Mendoza is a buzz of local tango shows and music concerts that range from rock to electric tango that are often held in the city.
- Various winter sports and adventures can also be found in Mendoza, from some great ski and snow boarding areas in nearby Las Leñas to white-water rafting, trekking and horseback riding.
Summer (November to February)
Temperatures range between 18 and 33º C
Winter (May to August)
Temperatures range between 3º C and 16º C