Your journey at a glance
Indulge in the spirit of the adventurer as you experience a classical safari in one of East Africa’s most isolated and untouched wild places. Home to some of Africa’s largest herds of buffalo, Katavi boasts a wonderful array of habitats from reeded floodplains to open grasslands, dense forests, clear rivers and seasonal lakes. Explore the magnificent landscapes in search of wildlife in a safari vehicle, or set off on foot to discover the finer details of the bush. Opt to spend a night out beneath the stars on an exhilarating fly camping adventure and listen to tales of the legendary huntsman Katabi, who the park is named after, as you relax around a blazing bonfire. After your exhilarating safari, traverse the skies to Mahale National Park. Sprawling on the marshy banks of the shimmering Lake Tanganyika, this secluded, remote park is the ideal destination to discover chimps in the lush tangle on forest slopes. As you delve into this pristine environment with your knowledgeable guide, cherish your time with these beautiful primates and marvel at the respectful relationship between guide and chimp. A true taste of wild Africa, this adventure is an authentic, and out of the ordinary experience, that is quite remarkable.
- 1 night Arusha
- 3 nights Katavi
- 4 nights Mahale
What we love about this journey:
- In Arusha, explore a coffee plantation near where you are staying and learn the art of coffee and how it is roasted
- Marvel at excellent game viewing opportunities in the grass plains of the renowned Katavi National Park – famed for large herds of buffalo, elephant and the buffalo – lion interaction
- Watch wily crocodiles and massive hippos surface in the seasonal Lake Chada
- Cherish friendly encounters with soul-warming personalities
- Spend a night under the stars in a simple tent, having a real campout experience in the middle of the remote wilderness
- Learn from knowledgeable guides who are extremely experienced and professional and know the chimp families well. The habituation of the chimps over 60 years means you have the opportunity for really great sightings.
- Savour lazy afternoons out on the waters of Lake Tanganyika and even go for a dip
- Glide into the deep and take a dhow boat out and dive into crystal clear water of the world’s second deepest and largest fresh water lake and world’s longest
- Wildlife enthusiasts
- Avid photographers
- Repeat travellers
- Adventure travellers
The unforgettable journey featured here showcases just a few of our favourite combinations of activities, attractions and accommodation options in this iconic destination. It is merely an example from which you can use to start dreaming, and creating your own adventure. Chat to one of our dedicated Travel Planners, who will be able to help customise the ideal itinerary for you based on your interests, preferences and budget.