IDEAL FOR ADVENTURE SEEKERS AND ACTIVE GLOBETROTTERS
STAY AT HAPPY HOUSE IN PHAPLU WHERE SIR EDMUND HILLARY OFTEN STAYED ON HIS EVEREST TRIPS
HIKE REMOTE VALLEYS, GO MOUNTAIN BIKING, OR CHOOSE TO FLY OVER EVEREST IN A HELICOPTER
EXPLORE LANDMARK MONASTERIES AND TEMPLES
ENJOY NEPAL'S SPECTACULAR WILDLIFE IN CHITWAN NATIONAL PARKS
Your journey at a glance
Venture off the beaten track and discover the hidden gems of the Himalaya
A truly authentic Nepalese adventure awaits you on this 11-day journey that takes you well away from the usual tourist traps into the remote valley of historic Phaplu and the pristine wilderness of the Chitwan National Park.
Perfect for adventure seekers and those who want to immerse themselves in real-world traditions and customs, this journey offers the opportunity to hike to ancient monasteries and temples, embark on a series of cultural excursions and enjoy Nepal’s spectacular wildlife on a collection of safaris.
PLAN YOUR JOURNEY
This unforgettable journey showcases just a few of our favourite experiences in Nepal. It is merely an example from which you can use to start dreaming and creating your own tailormade adventure with one of our dedicated Travel Specialists.
A taste of what to expect
Day 1: Kathmandu
Today, we welcome you to Kathmandu, the capital of Nepal. Here, upon landing, you will be driven to the Dwarika’s Hotel. As one of Nepal’s heritage landmarks, its buildings consist of intricate carved wood and terracotta work that must have taken 10 million hours of the best craftsmen in the country. Every brick is handmade and every piece of woodwork, a century-old original. Here, you will spend the evening unwinding from your journey and getting a good night’s rest for your next day’s adventure.
Day 2: Phaplu
After tucking into a scrumptious breakfast, you will be collected for your flight to Phaplu. This remote mountain village is far from the traditional tourist circuit. Here, you will check into Happy House, a cosy abode where Everest explorers (including Sir Edmund Hillary and Count Guido Monzino) loved to stay.
After settling in, why not take a short walk around the village to help get accustomed to the altitude.
Day 3: Phaplu
Today, you will embark on your first hike, which will take you to the renowned Chiwong Monastery. Along the way, you will pass several small settlements belonging to farming families. Enjoy a tasty lunch at the monastery, in the company of monks, before taking part in a prayer session and guided meditation.
Following your session with the monks, a Buddhist scholar will introduce the principles of Buddhism with a short teaching on the life of the Buddha, and the four noble truths.
Day 4: Phaplu
After a delicious breakfast in the gardens for the guesthouse, you will be whisked away for a morning of cultural sightseeing. Visit a local school and the Phaplu Hospital, which were founded by Sir Edmund Hillary. You will have the opportunity to meet the doctors and nurses of the hospital to gain an understanding of the services they provide in this remote mountainous region.
An alternative activity to the above is a helicopter tour around the Everest region, where you will fly very close to some of the major peaks.
After lunch at Happy House, you will have opportunity to walk up to the Ratnange Ridge for an adventure-filled sleepout experience. You should arrive just in time to view the incredible Himalaya sunset from your tented camp.
Enjoy the comforts of a traditional Mongolian yurt, which will erected as the main guest area, before retiring for the evening in an expedition-style tent.
Day 5: Phaplu
It’s an early morning wake-up so that you can see the sunrise as it illuminates a panoramic view of the eastern Nepal Himalaya, including Mount Everest.
Today, after tucking into breakfast, you will hike along the ridge towards the remote village of Chyalsa, a form resettlement formed by Tibetan refugees.
Enjoy a picnic lunch in the village, before returning to Happy House where a relaxing spa or massage session awaits.
Day 6: Kathmandu
Today, you will wave a fond farewell to the region of Phaplu as you are collected for your flight back to Kathmandu.
After freshening up and enjoying a lunch at the Dwarika’s Hotel, you will be collected for a half-day tour of the Pashupatinath Temple and Bodhnath Stupa.
The Pashupatinath Temple is one of the most significant Hindu Temples of Lord Shiva in the world. It is located on the banks of the holy Bagmati River in the eastern part of Kathmandu and is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The Boudhanath Stupa (or Bodhnath Stupa) is the largest stupa in Nepal and the holiest Tibetan Buddhist temple outside Tibet. It is the centre of Tibetan culture in the Kathmandu Valley and is rich in Buddhist symbolism.
Day 7: Chitwan National Park
It’s time to see Nepal’s spectacular wilderness!
After a wholesome breakfast, you will be collected for your flight to Bharatpur, Chitwan.
Upon landing, you will be driven to the beautiful Meghauli Serai lodge; situated on the banks of the Rapti river, and offering excellent sightings of rhino, gharial (fish-eating crocodile), birds from the property.
After settling in your villa, you can embark on your first Nepalese safari with your expert &Beyond trained naturalist, who will give you a full orientation of what to expect on your jungle drives.
Day 8-9: Chitwan National Park
For the next two days, you will have the opportunity to encounter some of the region’s most iconic wildlife on a series of safari adventures.
Your naturalist guide will organise your safari outings depending on the sightings reported in the region and the weather conditions. The options will include jungle drives inside the Chitwan National Park, jungle walks, elephant safaris and village tours.
Day 10-11: Kathmandu
After a magical few days spent in Chitwan, you will be collected for your flight back to Kathmandu, for another comfortable stay at the Dwarika’s Hotel.
Freshen up and tuck into lunch before a half-day tour of Bhaktapur Durbar Square. Bhaktapur is known as the ‘City of Devotees’, the ‘City of Culture’, the ‘Living Heritage’, and ‘Nepal’s Cultural Gem’. It is one of the three royal cities in the Kathmandu Valley. Bhaktapur is filled with monuments, palaces and temples with elaborate carvings, gilded roofs, and open courtyards. The city is dotted with pagodas and religious shrines. Lying along the ancient trade route between India and Tibet, Bhaktapur is surrounded by mountains and provides a magnificent view of the Himalaya.
After a fun-filled day of cultural immersions, enjoy a relaxing farewell dinner at the hotel.
The next day, wave a fond farewell to Nepal, as you are collected for your flight home.
- Accommodation in Dwarika’s Hotel in a Junior Suite with breakfast only.
- All transfers, long drive and sightseeing tours by air-conditioned car.
- All city sightseeing with private English-speaking guide including the entrance fees at all monuments.
- Bottled water.
- All current taxes as on date.
- Internal flights: Kathmandu-Phaplu-Kathmandu and Kathmandu-Bharatpur-Kathmandu in economy class
- Accommodation in Hilary room at Happy House and a night at Beyul Camp in a private tent
- All current taxes as on date.
- All meals, snacks and beverages (soft drinks, wines and local alcohol during meals only)
- Guides, porters, refreshments and snacks along the trail
- Optional transfer to the Beyul camp from Happy House or vice versa by 4x4 with driver (1 hour drive each way)
- While camping, a full camp and cooking staff, camping gear, cooking gear, food, and fuel will be provided, as well as the services of a physical therapist/masseuse.
- Accommodation in Rapti Villa with all meals.
- Non bar hot beverages.
- Activities including elephant, boat and jeep safaris, nature walk, cultural tour etc. Please note there will be two half day jeep safaris available during the stay, plus other activities such as elephant and boat safaris, walking activities etc.
- All park entrance fees, amateur still camera charge and government taxes
- Transportation as applicable on sharing basis.
- In-room amenities and drinking water.
- Services of English-speaking resident naturalist.
What's not included
- Any International Airfare.
- Lunch and dinner in Kathmandu.
- Nepal visa.
- Any change in tax structure resulting from the hike in published tariff.
- Items of personal nature like tips, bar bills, laundry, phone calls etc.
- Any video or still camera fee to the monuments and places of visit.
- Any other item not explicitly mentioned under price includes.
- Any Insurance.
- The prices are based on two adults sharing with one child under the age of 12 years
- Children policies and age limit for activities may vary from one lodge or hotel to another
- Flights between Nelspruit and Livingstone currently only operate on Tuesdays and Saturdays (with an additional flight on Thursdays, introduced from June 2021) and might be routed via Johannesburg
- Flight quotes are subject to change, and we reserve the right to re-quote
- The operator may reroute the itinerary or accommodate in similar lodges in case of non-availability
- Validity periods are as specified above - should a booking fall over two rate periods the rate will change and we reserve the right to re-quote
- The rates quoted are subject to change without prior warning if there are any increases in bed levies, park fees, fuel, ROE, sales tax or VAT, third-party services or any other circumstances beyond our control in the countries featured in this quote
- andBeyond Trading Terms apply
|· Cape Town International Airport to Skukuza Airport|
|· andBeyond Ngala Safari Lodge to Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport|
|· Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport to Harry Mwanga Nkumbula International Airport|
|· Victoria Falls Airport to Cape Town International Airport|
|· Cape Town International Airport to One&Only Cape Town|
|· One&Only Cape Town to Cape Town International Airport|
|· Skukuza Airport to andBeyond Kirkman's Kamp|
|· andBeyond Kirkman's Camp to andBeyond Ngala Safari Lodge|
|· Harry Mwanga Nkumbula International Airport to Victoria Falls International Airport|
|· Victoria Falls International Airport to Victoria Falls River Lodge|
|· Victoria Falls River Lodge to Victoria Falls International Airport|
Tailormake your journey
Add one of these must-do experiences to your itinerary
Channel your inner travel addict
You’re just 5 easy (and fun) steps away from creating your ideal Travel Dream Board.
Step 1: Select which part of the planet you wish to explore
Step 2: Clarify what kind of traveller you are
Step 3: Tick off those grand bucket list experiences that will fire your imagination
Step 4: Log in to create and add to your Dream Board
Step 5: Share & start dreaming