Your journey at a glance
Indulge in the spirit of the adventurer as you experience a classical safari in one of East Africa’s most isolated and untouched wild places.
Home to some of Africa’s largest herds of buffalo, Katavi boasts a wonderful array of habitats from reeded floodplains to open grasslands, dense forests, clear rivers and seasonal lakes.
Explore the magnificent landscapes in search of wildlife in a safari vehicle, or set off on foot to discover the finer details of the bush.
Opt to spend a night out beneath the stars on an exhilarating fly camping adventure and listen to tales of the legendary huntsman Katabi, who the park is named after, as you relax around a blazing bonfire.
After your exhilarating safari, traverse the skies to Mahale National Park. Sprawling on the marshy banks of the shimmering Lake Tanganyika, this secluded, remote park is the ideal destination to discover chimps in the lush tangle on forest slopes.
As you delve into this pristine environment with your knowledgeable guide, cherish your time with these beautiful primates and marvel at the respectful relationship between guide and chimp.
A true taste of wild Africa, this adventure is an authentic, and out of the ordinary experience, that is quite remarkable.
PLAN YOUR JOURNEY
This unforgettable journey showcases just a few of our favourite experience combinations in this iconic destination. It is merely an example from which you can use to start dreaming and creating your own adventure with one of our dedicated Travel Specialists.
A taste of what to expect…
Day 1: Arusha
- Upon your arrival at Arusha Airport, you will be welcomed by a member of the &Beyond team who will transfer you by car to Elewana Arusha Coffee Lodge. Nestled between the lofty peaks of Mt. Meru and Kilimanjaro, this charming town is known as the safari capital of Tanzania.
- If you love coffee, or simply beautiful open spaces go on an informative Coffee Tour exploring the history of the bean and the process of nurturing, harvesting, drying and roasting a variety of different blends. For coffee connoisseurs, this is a wonderful experience.
Day 2-4: Katavi National Park
- You will be transferred by car to Arusha Airport where you will board your scheduled light aircraft flight to Ikuu airstrip in the Katavi National Park
- This remote park, isolated in the far west of Tanzania is a destination few people have been lucky enough to visit. Due to this, it feels magically untouched and Chada Katavi sits in the midst of this exceptionally raw, wild terrain
- Strap on your walking boots for a fascinating short guided nature walk with your knowledgeable guide
- Revel in an early morning game drive through this remote park with a scrumptious picnic lunch. The park is an abundance of wildlife, and massive herds of elephant and buffalo congregate on the floodplains. In the dry season massive hippo populations abound here, and reveal a spectacular sight as over 200 large grey bodies flop together in liquid pools, and baby hippos thoroughly enjoy bobbing on their mom’s back, and playing hide and seek under the water
- Choose to stay in a fly camp for a night out in the wilderness, under the stars
- During the wet season take a drive along the the river and seasonal lakes which provide plenty of sustenance for the many animals in the park. The lakes Chada and Katavi are particularly popular with crocodile and hippo, with the area supporting the densest concentrations of these animals in all of Tanzania
Day 5-8 : Mahale Mountains National Park
- Take a scheduled light aircraft flight to Mahale National Park. Created to protect dense populations of chimpanzees the lush forests of the Mahale Mountains National Park are home to these beautiful creatures
- You will be welcomed by a representative and your guide from Greystoke Mahale. After a delicious lunch on your boat, start your 90 minute long boat transfer along the shores of Lake Tanganyika to the lodge. Greystoke Mahale is located in the chimp-inhabited forests of the Mahale Mountains in West Tanzania
- Head off on daily treks to discover incredible primates. Guided by trackers and scouts you will be divided into groups of six and hike the narrow mountain trails to find them. Once they have been located cherish your hour with them as they play together, irritate each other, frolic, eat, and engage with each other. Housing Tanzania’s densest population of primates, including yellow baboon, red colobus, red-tailed, vervet monkeys and playful chimpanzees in leafy trees make sure to look out for the different colours and markings as you hike through tangled foliage
- Splash in the water and enjoy numerous activities including snorkelling, fishing and kayaking. Peer into the clear depths as over 250 species of colourful cychlids glide by
- Head out on the dhow for an evening fishing cruise and sundowners on the lake
Day 9: Arusha
Have an early morning paddle into the lake or a cup of coffee watching the peaceful lake before breakfast. After breakfast you will be transferred by car back to Ikuu airstrip for your scheduled light aircraft flight to Arusha Airport
- Meet and Greet service at Kilimanjaro International Airport
- Accommodation inclusions as per itinerary above
- Scheduled internal flights:
- Arusha Airport/Mahale (Ikuu) airstrip /Arusha Airport
- Arusha Airport/ Southern Katavi airstrip/ Arusha Airport
- All scheduled road transfers:
- Kilimanjaro International Airport /Elewana Arusha Coffee Lodge/Arusha Airport
- Arusha Airport/ Chada Katavi/ Mahale airstrip
- Mahale airstrip/Greystoke Mahale/Mahale airstrip
- Arusha Airport/ Kilimanjaro International Airport
- Domestic departure tax (Arusha Airport)
- Tourism Development Levy
- Medical Evacuation Insurance
- Park Fees
- Administration Fee
- Receive a free flight between Nomad Chada Katavi and Nomad Greystoke Mahale.
- Stay 7 Pay 6 offer has been applied at the Nomad Tanzania properties.
What's not included
- Travel Insurance is not included. However, should you be interested, we can introduce you to our recommended partner, Global Rescue.
Read MoreGlobal Rescue has been operating across the globe for a number of years, and is an independent service provider to &Beyond, with no legal affiliation to our company. Should you wish to procure travel insurance products through Global Rescue, such services or products will be governed by terms and conditions solely determined by Global Rescue. It is wholly your responsibility to be fully acquainted with Global Rescue’s terms and conditions contained on its website regarding the use of its services or its products prior, to, and after, your purchase.
- Please note: Tanzania has recently increased their Tourism Development levy and this difference in price has not been included into our current itineraries, however, we are currently amending and will update our costing soonest.
- Rates subject to a minimum of 2 guests travelling
- Single supplement only refers to the single room supplement. Single traveller supplement will be quoted on request
- Flights only depart on Mondays and Thursdays - camp arrivals and departures must therefore also fall on either a Monday or Thursday otherwise the supplier will regretfully have to pass on the price of the unused bednights that occur in each Mon-Thurs or Thurs-Mon period. While possible to arrive/depart by private charter, the most economical way is to stick to the schedule. This itinerary has been created to suit the schedule and not incur any unnecessary costs
- Validity periods are as specified above - should a booking fall over two rate periods the rate will change and we reserve the right to re-quote
- The rates quoted are subject to change without prior warning if there are any increases in bed levies, park fees, fuel, sales tax or VAT, third-party services or any other circumstances beyond our control in the countries featured in this quote
- Kindly note that this package is valid and costed from 1 June 2020 to 15 November 2020 due to the Nomad Tanzania contracted rate sheet validity period with annual certain closure periods during the year.
- Closure dates:
- Chada Katavi is closed 16 November 2019 -31 May 2020
- Greystoke Mahale is closed 16 March to 30 May 2020
- Rates are subject to change.
- Our high season typically covers travel between July and September as well as Christmas, New Years and Easter.
- &Beyond Trading Terms apply
Tailormake your journey
Add these must-do experiences
Channel your inner travel addict
You’re just 5 easy (and fun) steps away from creating your ideal Travel Dream Board.
Step 1: Select which part of the planet you wish to explore
Step 2: Clarify what kind of traveller you are
Step 3: Tick off those grand bucket list experiences that will fire your imagination
Step 4: Log in to create and add to your Dream Board
Step 5: Share & start dreaming