Gorilla tracking safari in Rwanda
Kigali, Volcanoes National Park
Track mighty mountain gorillas in the misty rainforests of the Virungas Volcanoes
Your journey at a glance
A wildlife adventure unlike any other, this itinerary offers the chance for close encounters with mountain gorillas and beautiful golden monkeys.
Hike the densely forested slopes of Rwanda’s picturesque Virungas Volcanoes in search of the world’s largest population of wild mountain gorillas.
Gaze out onto soaring mountain slopes enveloped in lush and tropical vegetation.
Immersed in this dramatic natural setting, enjoy the opportunity to watch the intriguing interaction between gorilla families or set out in search of troops of the enchanting golden monkeys.
This itinerary is ideal for anyone eager for a glimpse of these great primates while undisturbed in their beautiful natural setting.
1 night Kigali | 3 nights Volcanoes National Park
Plan your journey
This unforgettable journey showcases just a few of our favourite experience combinations in this iconic destination. It is merely an example from which you can use to start dreaming and creating your own adventure with one of our dedicated Travel Specialists.
A taste of what to expect…
Day 1: Kigali
- Upon arrival at Kigali Airport you will be met by your representative who will road transfer you to Kigali Serena Inn
- Vibrant and colourful, Kigali is the bustling capital city of Rwanda. It spreads out over four scenic ridges and the valleys in between, with the city centre located on one hill, and the government and administrative quarter on another.
- Explore this safe and clean city which boasts a selection of hotels, restaurants, shopping centres and markets
Day 2-4: Volcanoes National Park
- A road transfer to Volcanoes National Park takes approximately 3.5 hours’
- Set out in search of magical encounters with the families of Mountain gorilla that makes the Virunga Mountains their home.
- A wildlife experience with the magnificent mountain gorilla is like no other. Savour every second as you watch them foraging, playing, teasing each other, eating or slumbering in an uncanny resemblance to ourselves. At times the trek to view them may be arduous, with steep rises covered in dense vegetation. Inhabiting areas which are not easily reachable, gorillas reside where there is an abundance of food plants near the ground and think nothing of climbing incredibly lofty hills to get to them. Your formidable trek will be richly rewarded when you first set eyes on these extraordinary creatures. Try to spend as much time as possible in this phenomenal part of Rwanda, as it is a very special place.
- When not trekking for gorillas, spend a morning searching the lush vegetation at the foot of Mount Sabyinyo for one of two habituated groups of golden monkey, one of them a troop of more than 80 members.
- Explore this scenic landscape to where Dian Fossey carried out her ground-breaking gorilla research, traversing slopes covered with rainforest and bamboo
- Take time to visit the local community and engage in the culture of the area, visiting a coffee plantation or local traditional homestead
Day 5: Departure
After a delicious breakfast you will be road transferred by road back to Kigali Airport for your outbound flight.
Tailormake your journey
Add these must-do experiences