Your journey at a glance
Immerse yourself in the beauty and culture of Bhutan on a 12-day itinerary that spans five spectacular regions, each one abundant with natural beauty, exquisite dzongs, and fascinating heritage.
Journey through Thimphu and adorn yourself in Bhutanese traditional dress whilst appreciating their colourful masked dances. Discover Chimi Lhakhang, a fertility temple paying homage to the ‘Divine Madman’, and the beautiful Punakha Dzong, for many years the seat of government. Hike to the Khamsum Yuelley Namgyal Chorten built by Her Majesty the Queen Ashi Tshering Yangdon for the protection of the country. Engage with monks at the Nalanda Buddhist College, interact with nuns at the Sangchhen Dorji Lhendrup Lhakhang Nunnery and attend powerful prayers in Phobjikha where 300 monks chant every evening. Meander on the Longteng Hike through bush bamboo and ancient rhododendron forests. Your adventure culminates with a hike to Taktsang Monastery (Tiger’s Nest) through groves of fluttering prayer flags and lush pine forests.
This is an extraordinary cultural journey through a spectacular country.
12 Days | From USD 10,736
Please keep in mind that this tour can be tailormade by speaking to one of our Travel Specialists. Do note that there may be a significant difference in the high season tariffs
- Accommodation on ONE TWIN / DOUBLE OCCUPANCY in hotels as mentioned in the QUOTE.
- All transfers as mentioned in a private vehicle, and sightseeing.
- Sightseeing tour will be provided as per the itinerary with the English-speaking Bhutanese Guide and in a private Vehicle.
- All entrance and monuments fees.
- Visa fees for Bhutan only.
- All current taxes as on date – subject to change as per hotel/airline/Government policy.
- Special inclusions:
- Tshewang ceremony at Punakha
- Prayer service in Gangtey/ Phobjikha
- Meditation with a monk in Phobjikha
What's not included
- Any Airfare
- Tipping to guides and drivers.
- Any Insurance and rescue of any form.
- Cost arising out of flight cancellation/road blockades/landslides/riots and events beyond our control.
- Expenses of personal nature and any other expenses not mentioned in the above cost.
- Any international air fare/airport taxes not mentioned above
- Hotel surcharges during festival period
- Any change in tax structure resulting from the hike in published tariff.
- Items of personal nature like tips, laundry, phone calls etc.
- Any video/still camera fee to the monuments and places of visit
- Any other item not explicitly mentioned under price includes.
- Any airfare for domestic flights other than the quoted details.
- Any cost of the meals other than the one indicated in room meal plan.
- Sightseeing and excursions other than those specified.
- Travel Insurance is not included. However, should you be interested, we can introduce you to our recommended partner, Global Rescue.
Read MoreGlobal Rescue has been operating across the globe for a number of years, and is an independent service provider to &Beyond, with no legal affiliation to our company. Should you wish to procure travel insurance products through Global Rescue, such services or products will be governed by terms and conditions solely determined by Global Rescue. It is wholly your responsibility to be fully acquainted with Global Rescue’s terms and conditions contained on its website regarding the use of its services or its products prior, to, and after, your purchase.
- Validity periods are as specified in the downloadable PDF; should a booking fall over two rate periods the rate will change and we reserve the right to re-quote
- The rates quoted are subject to change without warning if there are any increases in bed levies, park fees, fuel, sales tax or VAT, third-party services or any other circumstances beyond our control.
- Rates are subject to change.
- &Beyond trading terms apply
PLAN YOUR JOURNEY
This unforgettable journey showcases just a few of our favourite experience combinations in this iconic destination. It is merely an example from which you can use to start dreaming and creating your own adventure with one of our dedicated Travel Specialists.
A taste of what to expect…
Day 1-3: Thimphu
- Fly into Paro and marvel at the scenery of the Himalayas, Paro River, and the icy glacier below.
- Visit a famous iron bridge and Tamchog Lhakhang, the temple dedicated to a 13th-century saint.
- Explore Thimphu and visit the National Memorial Chorten, one of the most visible religious structures in Thimphu.
- Marvel at the huge Buddha Dordenma, filled with over one hundred thousand smaller Buddha statues
- Visit the Takin Preserve in Motithang and observe the Takin, the national animal of Bhutan
- Meander through rhododendron forests on a hike to Tango Goenpa Monastery.
- Visit the Institute for Zorig Chusum (Arts and Crafts school) and the Weaving Centre and Textile Museum.
- Make your own paper at the Jungshi paper making factory using ancient traditional methods.
- Visit the Tashichho Dzong known as the “Fortress of the Glorious Religion”, serving as a winter residence and housing the throne room of His Majesty, the King of Bhutan.
- Dress up in Bhutan’s traditional attire and witness beautiful masked dances
Day 3-5: Punakha
- Stop on Dochula Pass to visit the 108 stupas built in honour of the fallen Bhutanese soldiers.
- Enjoy a hike to Chimi Lhakhang, a temple dedicated to the ‘Divine Madman’, adorned with phallic symbols and where women struggling to conceive are said to be blessed with fertility.
- Meander through the butterfly trail and observe farmlands and forests.
- Relish a picnic breakfast at the top of Khamsum Yuelley and explore the temple.
- Embark on a thrilling rafting experience on the Pho Chu River.
- Journey through the most scenic and secluded area, featuring incredibly blue water, breathtaking alpine scenery, and the chance of seeing one of the world’s rarest birds – the White-bellied Heron.
- Drive to the Sangchhen Dorji Lhendrup Lhakhang Nunnery and engage with the nuns who provide life skill training
Day 5-7: Gangtey and Phobjikha Valley
- Head to Phobjikha and the enjoy the views of Jhomolhari Mountain and Jichu Drake as the road climbs to Lawa La Pass.
- Phobjikha is the winter home of endangered Black-necked cranes that migrate from the arid plains in the north.
- Explore the Gangtey Goemba Monastery, which boasts spectacular views of the entire Phobjikha Valley.
- Meander along the Gangtey Nature Trail, crossing streams, rhododendron gardens and villages.
- Head to the monastic school Shedra and attend the devout prayers where 300 monks chant every evening.
- Embark on a hike to Longteng, weaving your way through bush bamboo passing colourful clusters of village houses, and glimpse yaks grazing in the area in the winter months.
- Visit the Crane Information Centre, and if in season, watch the cranes using binoculars from the deck.
Day 7-10: Bumthang
- Arrive in Bumthang, a stunning valley comprising of four major valleys with the most sacred of all monasteries.
- Discover Chendebji Chorten, and Trongsa Dzong, with its labyrinth of temples, corridors and offices.
- Visit the Yathra weaving centre, the main outlet for about 240 households of the 13 villages in Bumthang who depend on the sale of traditional yathra for their livelihood.
- In Tang Valley, visit a 16th century Naktshang, a fascinating place for religious studies, research and solitude, it is also a museum displaying exhibits that offer insight into the lifestyle of a Bhutanese noble family.
- On your way back, stop to visit Mebar Tsho (The Burning Lake), a picturesque pool in the Tang River.
Day 10 - 12: Paro
- Visit Ta Dzong or the national museum, where a spectacular collection of religious Thangka paintings, art, relics and postage stamps are on display.
- Explore a masterpiece of architecture, Paro Rinpung Dzong, with enormous buttressed walls looming over the town.
- Gain insight into the lifestyle of a local farmer and visit a colourful, traditional farmhouse.
- Hike to the iconic Tiger’s Nest and marvel at the beauty of the surroundings including the gorge and waterfall.
- Enter the Tiger’s Nest, one of the most hallowed of all Buddhist sights around the world.
Day 12: Departure
After breakfast, you will be chauffeured to Paro Airport to board your onward flight, as your journey comes to an end.