What is the weather like?
Botswana has hot, wet summers from October to April while winters from May to September are often dry and cool with chilly evenings.
The rainy season is from late December to late February, sometimes continuing into March, with rain generally in the form of afternoon thundershowers; average rainfall is approximately 500mm / 20”.
Summer: Average of 18°C to 32°C / 64°F to 90°F, although temperatures can rise over 40°C / 104°F
Winter: 8°C to 21°C / 46°F to 70°F
What to pack:
As a general guide, comfortable and casual clothing that you can wash and wear is recommended while on safari. Muted colours are best for game viewing. Game drives are generally conducted in the early morning and the late afternoon, which can be cold, especially in winter. The temperature often warms up during the day, so it is best to dress in layers.
The most practical items to pack for your Botswana safari are:
- Clothes in khaki, green, beige and neutral colours
- Long-sleeved shirts that offer protection from the sun and mosquitoes
- Shorts or a light skirt
- Jeans or safari trousers for evenings and cooler days
- Jackets and sweaters for early morning and late afternoon game drives
- A lightweight waterproof jacket in case of rain
- Swim and beachwear
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Sunscreen, sunglasses, a hat, insect repellent, moisturiser and lip salve
- Binoculars and camera equipment
The luggage allowance on small flights is usually limited to a maximum of 20 kg (44 lbs), which includes hand luggage, so please bear this in mind when packing.
Most lodges and camps provide a same-day laundry service for your clothes.
If you would like to purchase safari clothing, luggage or accessories to prepare for your trip, please visit www.andBeyondsafarishop.com where a wide selection of quality products is available for your convenience.