Matusadona National Park
Situated on the southern shores of Lake Kariba, Matusadona National Park is a place of remarkable beauty, where scenic landscapes range from flat plains to rugged mountains.
One of several protected wildlife areas on the shores of the Lake, Matusadona is bounded on the west by the Ume River and on the east by the Sanyati River. Remote and isolated, the park receives fewer tourist numbers and provides an exclusive game viewing experience. Well known for its large herds of buffalo, they frequently congregate along the shoreline in the dry season.
Other frequently encountered wildlife includes elephant and hippo, as well as waterbuck, sable and roan antelope. The reserve is also rich in birdlife, with many species of herons, storks, plovers, bee-eaters and geese, as well as the ubiquitous fish eagle, inhabiting the river banks.
- Matusadona National Park is situated on the shores of Lake Kariba
- The Park comprises some 1,400 square kilometers of diverse flora and fauna.
- The grass found on the shoreline is a rejuvenative grass - needing only fluctuating lake levels to replenish its nutrients. With this ready food source, buffalo, waterbuck, zebra, and even impala have thrived and with them the predators.
- Matusadona is an Intensive Protection Zone (IPZ) and home to several relocated rhino.
- Animal species are found in abundance
- Excellent bird watching
Min 14°C/58°F Max 38°C/86°F
Min 5°C/41°F Max 20°C/68°F
- Best time to travelYear round
- WildlifeAnimals found in abundance include elephant and buffalo.
- LanguagesThe official language of Zimbabwe is English. Other languages spoken include Ndebele and Shona.
- Flying to Matusadona National ParkThere are daily flights from Johannesburg to Victoria Falls and other destinations in Zimbabwe. Charter flights are operated on a private basis and are an efficient way of travelling between the major tourist areas of Victoria Falls, Hwange, Masvingo and Kariba.
- CurrencyUS Dollars and South African Rands are accepted however, notes dated before 2003 are no longer accepted.
Explore the best of Zimbabwe on this luxury African safari, enjoy game drives, sunset cruises and exclusive tours from Bulawayo to Victoria Falls.
This ultimate African safari, in the adventure holiday destination of Zimbabwe, will take you to Lake Kariba, the Bumi Hills and Victoria Falls.
Enhance Your Experience With
- Game drives
- Bush walks
- Fishing at Lake Kariba
Situated on a private concession on the shores of Lake Kariba, Changa Safari Camp boasts tastefully furnished, spacious tented suites.
A World Heritage Site, Victoria Falls is one of the world’s greatest natural spectacles and the stuff of legends, romance and myth.
The elephant stronghold of Hwange National Park is a game-rich area that was once the royal hunting grounds of the Ndebele warrior
Ready to start planning your adventure?