Tanzania is Africa’s visual masterpiece. It is a country of natural splendour, astounding wildlife, seductive beaches, charming ancient towns, archaeological sites and geological wonders.
Africa’s highest mountain, Mount Kilimanjaro, rises from lush, grassy plains and towers over the land. Its snow-capped peak is a sight to behold. Climbing Kilimanjaro is surprisingly easy and standing on the roof of Africa is a life-changing experience. The ideal bush and beach destination, visitors can witness the mighty herds of the Great Migration thundering across the Serengeti plains and end their unforgettable safari with a serene beach holiday on Zanzibar, the intoxicatingly beautiful and exotic Spice Island.
This African safari will take you to charming Lake Manyara, the Serengeti (to view the wildebeest migration) and the magnificent Ngorongoro Crater.
Escape on a romantic beach holiday and view the wildebeest migration on this spectacular African safari to Tanzania and Zanzibar.
Travel far off the beaten path to the remote west of Tanzania on this African safari and enjoy its unspoiled and secluded East African landscapes.
Explore the Serengeti, stand on the edge of the panoramic Ngorongoro Crater and then indulge in beach holiday on andBeyond Mnemba Island.
Ascend the highest mountain in Africa on this once-in-a-lifetime, 9-day Kilimanjaro hiking tour.
This African safari offers the opportunity to view the wildebeest migration and unwind on beach holiday – pure honeymoon bliss.
This African safari and adventure holiday is unlike any other! Indulge in truly memorable East Africa experiences including the wildebeest migration.
- Marvel at panoramic views and abundant resident game in the famed Serengeti
- Follow the Great Wildebeest Migration
- Float silently over the endless plains on a balloon safari
- Experience the pristine coral reefs and sheer wall dives off the coast
- Take in epic Rift Valley scenery and dramatic escarpment views
- Stroll through a UNESCO world heritage site in Stone Town in Zanzibar
- Stand on the high rim of the scenic masterpiece of the Ngorongoro Crater
Long rains in the winter, short rains in the summer
- Best time to travelWatch giant Nile crocodiles sunning themselves on the banks of the Grumeti River; birdlife is at its best with breeding plumage; vast wildebeest herds drop their young in the Serengeti; large flocks of pink flamingos on the shores of Lake Manyara.
- Guest SafetyIt is advised you check with your tour operator or hotel concierge - they will know if there are any potentially unsafe areas along your travel route. It is wise to avoid deserted areas, particularly at night.
- WildlifeAnimals range from several antelope species, elephants and buffaloes to predators like lion, cheetah, leopard, wild dog and hyena.
- Flying to TanzaniaThe gateway to Tanzania is Dar es Salaam. Limited international scheduled flights also fly directly to Kilimanjaro. Daily scheduled domestic flights link these gateways with Tanzania's wildlife areas.
- LanguageThe national language in Kenya and Tanzania is Swahili, although English is widely spoken.
- CurrencyUSD and Tanzanian Shillings
The Ngorongoro Crater in Northern Tanzania, once a gigantic volcano, is the largest intact caldera in the world.
Lake Manyara National Park offers a wilderness experience in diverse habitats, from its Rift Valley soda lake to woodlands and steep mountainsides.
The gateways to Tanzania are Dar es Salaam and Nairobi in Kenya. (Limited international scheduled flights also fly directly to Kilimanjaro).
Tourism plays an important role in Tanzania's economy and the country is very much geared towards tourists.
Common questions about travel in Tanzania.