Tucked in between the iconic safari destinations of Kenya and Tanzania, Rwanda offers guests some of the best primate tracking on the planet – set against the backdrop of its endless green hills and soaring mountainsides.
With over half of the world’s remaining mountain gorilla population, it’s no surprise that the majority of guests visit Rwanda to track and view our highly endangered cousins. Rwanda is superb for primates in general, including the fun-loving Sykes monkey, the Golden monkey and the boisterous chimpanzee in the Nyungwe Forest. Despite a turbulent past, Rwanda is a safe and friendly destination - testament to the resilience of its people. For guests seeking a deeply enriching safari, Rwanda offers an experience that is difficult to find anywhere else.
Your adventure starts in Uganda tracking the rare mountain gorilla, then continues on to Rwanda with further opportunities to visit the gorillas.
- Nothing quite encapsulates the awe-inspiring feeling of sitting in tranquil forest surroundings with a family of magnificent mountain gorillas - the last of their kind.
- Expect bouts of laughter as the humerous antics of the Sykes monkeys will keep you entertained.
- Track the elusive Golden monkey through Nyungwe Forest National Park
- Experience the renowned Parc des Volcans, covered in lush mountain forest. It sits on the shared border between Uganda and Rwanda.
- Visit the attractive capital city of Kigali and stop to visit the Genocide Memorial for a moving reminder of what Rwanda has survived.
Long Rains are from 01 Mar-31 May, although in many places it rains lightly every day for a large part of the year.
- Best time to travelRwanda is a fantastic destination to experience year-round.
- Traveling with childrenRwanda is a good family destination, but for the safety of the gorillas tracking is restricted to persons 15 years or older
- Guest SafetyRwanda is a safe country and welcomes thousands of guests every year, but general safety precautions still apply. Avoid deserted areas, especially after dark and keep belongings close and guarded at all times. ‘Dress down’ and avoid extravagant displays of wealth.
- Flying to RwandaFlights to Rwanda are available from a number of international departure points, many of the flights will travel via Addis Ababa, Dubai or Nairobi.
- LanguageThe official languages in Rwanda are Kinyarwanda, French and English. Limited English is spoken beyond the main cities.
- WildlifeRwanda has a wonderful variety of wildlife but the main attraction is its world-famous mountain gorillas and chimpanzees.
- CurrencyUS Dollars and Rwanda Francs
Situated in the northwest corner of Rwanda, Volcanoes National Park protects the steep rainforested slopes of the magnificent Virungas mountain range
Rwanda's capital city, Kigali is the perfect starting point for an unforgettable gorilla trek experience.
International flights will land at the international gateway in Kigali and there are a variety of ways to get around within Rwanda.
See advice on photography, currency and more when considering a trip to Rwanda.
Frequently asked questions on travel within Rwanda.