Eat well and travel often. And when you travel, let go of your rules and restrictions. Indulge, try everything (twice) and really experience the destination and savour its robust and exciting flavours.
Luckily for our health-conscious guests, the food we serve is as wholesome as it is irresistible. Our food philosophy is simple. &Beyond food exudes the essence of each destination’s richness, history and soul. Fresh, locally-produced food is our aim, purchased wherever possible from the surrounding communities or harvested in our lodge shambas (vegetable gardens).
Our food is nutritious and natural — not drowned in sauces or over-processed. It is served with tradition and imbued with ritual and a sense of place. It is shared with joy and every meal is a celebration. Never gimmicky, over-fussy, decorated or over-presented, the food in each of our lodges is a perfectly-crafted, extraordinary gastronomic experience for our guests.
Though today’s health-seeking travellers do very much want to experience the local delights and unique dishes, they are opting more for those that are clean, wholesome and organic. Meals that are prepared with ingredients that are nourished by the earth, untouched by chemicals and bursting with vibrant flavour.
So in honour of clean eating and reconnecting with the earth and its plentiful bounty, today’s #Recipesof&Beyondcome straight from our beloved Kenyan shamba. At &Beyond Kichwa Tembo Tented Camp, Head Chef George and his culinary team delight guests with their ‘garden to table’ philosophy, using fresh fruits, vegetables and herbs that are grown in the thriving shamba centrally situated in the lodge’s al fresco courtyard.
Here are two of George’s favourite healthy recipes. Bon appétit!
(And if all this health talk is making you crave a bit of a diet cheat, then have a look at these sweeter, far more sinful #RecipesofandBeyond).
Roasted red pepper & pear soup
75 ml olive oil
3 medium chopped onions
3 medium chopped carrots
1 kg chopped red pepper
1 ½ litres chicken stock
3 medium pears
4 thyme sprigs
- Place oil, onions, carrots and red peppers in a roasting tin.
- Roast for 30 minutes at 200°C then place in a pot.
- Add stock and boil.
- Add pear and thyme and simmer for approximately 25 minutes until tender.
- Remove thyme and liquidise.
- Season to taste with salt/pepper and garnish with a sprinkling of feta cheese and chopped parsley.
Curried zucchini & cauliflower soup
2 cups diced onions
¼ cup olive oil
¼ cup diced garlic
4 cups diced zucchini
4 cups diced cauliflower
3 teaspoons mild curry powder
Salt and pepper
2 litres good chicken stock
1 cup thick plain yoghurt
- Sauté onions in oil until almost brown.
- Add garlic to soften.
- Add zucchini and cauliflower.
- Add spices and chicken stock.
- Simmer for 20 minutes on low.
- Blend and then add the yoghurt just before serving (do not cook the yoghurt).
- Garnish with fried leek strands, crispy onions or fried fresh herbs such as basil or parsley.