Beautiful Chile is a destination of prized contrasts with dramatic landscapes that vary from the starkness of the Atacama Desert, the world’s driest, in the north and the Patagonian ice fields in the south to fertile valleys, forests as old as time, temperamental volcanoes and unspoilt beaches. These regions are set along the incredible geography of Chile, which is a wonder in itself. The country has been hailed as the world’s longest, whilst its width of just 175 kilometres, defies logic in it slenderness.
Stretching from the centre of South America right to its base, Chile is home to a vibrant melting pot of cultures that include charming alpaca herders, the rough and tumble huaso countrymen of Patagonia and the white-collar society of Santiago, all engaging and incredibly gracious in their hospitality.
Must-see attractions include the Valle de la Luna for its desolate moonscape, the vast Atacama Desert and its rust-coloured surrounds, sophisticated Santiago and its cosmopolitan atmosphere, the thriving Chilean wine country, the adventure capital of the county in the Lake District, the majestic mountains and grand glaciers in Patagonia and of course, mysterious Easter Island.
- Incredibly diverse landscapes, from icy glaciers, arid deserts, tranquil lakes and beautiful long pacific coasts and beaches, to rugged mountains, dense rainforests and emerald fjords
- Atacama Desert, the driest place on earth
- Abundant and diverse wildlife, such as the Andean flamingo, condor, Humboldt and Magellanic penguin, guiña and colocolo wildcats, puma, as well as and four species of camelid (llama, alpaca, guanaco and vicuña)
- An adventure enthusiast’s playground, with skiing, trekking, rafting, fly-fishing, horseback riding, scuba diving, surfing and birdwatching
- Vibrant, hospitable cultures displaying age-old customs and traditional attire
- International cuisine paired with world-class Chilean wines
- The mystery and intrigue of Easter Island, a remote volcanic island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean
Summer (November – February)
Average day time temperature 20°C/68°F (peaks at 34°C/93°F)
Winter (May – August)
Average day time temperature 8°C/46°F
Given that Chile covers such a large geographic distance, the climate varies. This is an average for the central region; please refer to the destination pages for more detailed information.