Covering approximately a third of the eastern portion of the Okavango Delta, the Moremi Game Reserve combines permanent waterways with drier areas, creating a reserve filled with unexpected contrasts and diverse wildlife. Dense riverine forests are home to shy leopard and deep lagoons are inhabited by hippo, while the semi-aquatic red lechwe and sitatunga antelope can be seen wading the shallows.
Buffalo, giraffe, lion, leopard, cheetah, hyena and jackal can all be spotted on the floodplains and among the drier areas. A birdwatcher’s paradise, the rich and diverse habitat of the reserve is home to a surprising diversity of birds, with almost 500 species, from water birds to forest dwellers. However, the reserve is most famous for its African wild dog, boasting a high concentration of these rarely seen animals, with their fascinating social structure.
The elusive sable and roan antelope may be spotted venturing out of the mopane scrub to drink at selected watering holes. The beauty of these shy species, with the sable’s sweeping horns, jet black coat and bold white markings, and the roan’s larger stature and grey coat, are guaranteed to make any encounter a memorable one.
- The Moremi Game Reserve covers much of the eastern side of the Okavango Delta and combines permanent water with drier areas, creating some startling and unexpected contrasts.
- Some prominent geographical features of the Reserve are Chiefs Island and the Moremi Tongue. In the Moremi Reserve one can experience excellent views of Savannah game as well as bird-watching on the lagoons.
- There are also thickly wooded areas, which are home to the rare African wild dog and leopard.
- Although just under 5,000 square kilometres (1,900 sq. mi) in extent, it is a surprisingly diverse Reserve, combining mopane woodland and acacia forests, floodplains and lagoons. Only about 30% of the Reserve is mainland, with the bulk being within the Okavango Delta itself.
- Expect excellent birding.
Summer (October – April)
Min 20°C/69°F Max 30°C/86°F
Winter (May – September)
Min 6°C/42°F Max 25°C/78°F