The breathtaking mountainous region of Damaraland is situated on the eastern side of the Skeleton Coast National Park and southwest of Etosha National Park.
An assortment of desert-adapted wildlife such as elephant, rhino, zebra and lion eke an existence in this near-barren landscape. A not-to-be-missed attraction is the picturesque Brandberg, Namibia’s highest mountain, which is home to thousands of ancient rock paintings – most notably The White Lady.
The rocky outcrops of Twyfelfontein feature exceptional Bushmen engravings, which are considered to be some of the best preserved etchings on the continent. Visitors to Damaraland can view one of its more unusual habitats – the Petrified Forest, which dates back millions of years and offers a haunting landscape of gigantic fossilised trees, some up to 30 metres (100 feet) in length.
- Damaraland is one of the most scenic areas in Namibia, a huge, untamed, ruggedly beautiful region that offers the traveller an adventurous challenge
- Here there are prehistoric water courses with open plains and grassland, massive granite koppies and deep gorges
- The Brandberg - Namibia's highest mountain and home to the famous 'White Lady' Bushman Painting
- This is the prime region for desert adapted megafauna, like elephants and rhino.
- Twyfelfontein is a rocky site situated in the Kunene Region of north western Namibia. The site contains around 2,000 rock carvings
- Namibia's only world heritage site
- The site is one of the largest and most important concentrations of rock art in Africa, and was proclaimed a National Monument in 1952
- One of the most prominent collections of rock paintings and engravings in Namibia can be viewed at Twyfelfontein
Min 20°C/68°F Max 40°C/104°F
Min 0°C/32°F Max 23°C/73°F
- Best time to travelYear Round
- Traveling with ChildrenChildren over the age of 12 welcome.
- WildlifeMarvel at the exceptional desert-adapted elephant and black rhino
- LanguagesEnglish is widely spoken in Namibia.
- Flying to NamibiaThere are frequent flights from Johannesburg and Cape Town to Windhoek or Walvis Bay. Scheduled flights from Maun and Victoria Falls to Windhoek are also available.
- CurrencyThe currency is Namibian Dollar (NAD); South African Rand (ZAR) cash is accepted.
A romantic African holiday in Namibia traveling from the remote Namib desert to the beaches at Swakopmund and the famed dunes of Sossusvlei.
Experience the tranquillity of the Namib desert and Sossusvlei on this four-day holiday escape to Africa.
Enhance Your Experience With
- Scenic Flights
- Guided Walks
- Game/Nature Drives
- Star Gazing
- Twyfelfontein, Organ Pipes and Burnt Mountain excursions
Ready to start planning your adventure?
The delightful Mowani Mountain Camp lies hidden amongst towering boulders in Namibia’s breathtaking Damaraland region.
The Namib Desert is a world of vast spaces, endless horizons, dramatic desertscapes and jagged mountain heights.
The cleanest capital in Africa, Windhoek boasts a seamless blend of African and European culture, friendly people and a fascinating history.