The picturesque and sacred city of Anuradhapura was Sri Lanka's political and religious capital, flourishing for 1 300 years before being abandoned following an invasion in 993 AD.
Formed around a cutting from the Buddha's BO tree, "The Tree of Enlightenment", which was said to have been brought there around the 3rd century B.C. Anuradhapura houses some of tallest dagobas (mound-like structures), remains of palaces, monasteries and temples that include the renowned temple of the Holy BO Tree.
- Visit “the Tree of Enlightenment”, which was said to have been brought there around the 3rd century B.C
- Enjoy a sightseeing adventure to the city’s various dagobas (mound-like structures), remains of palaces, monasteries and temples.
Min 30°C/86°F Max 33°C/91°F
As Sri Lanka is close to the equator, Anuradhapura experiences uniform weather throughout the year - except for the two months of rain (monsoon).
- Best time to travelYear round
- LanguagesSinhala, Tamil and English are all officially recognised languages.
- Flying to AnuradhapuraBandaranaike International Airport at Katunayake is the International Airport for Sri Lanka - serviced by flights from the UK, Middle East, India, Singapore and Europe.
- CurrencySri Lankan Rupee
Ready to start planning your adventure?
Nestled in a village in the ancient kingdom of Anuradhapura, Ulagalla Resort collides a previous era with the modern comforts of the present.