The picturesque and sacred city of Anuradhapura was Sri Lanka's political and religious capital, flourishing for 1 300 years before being abandoned following an invasion in 993 AD.
Formed around a cutting from the Buddha's BO tree, "The Tree of Enlightenment", which was said to have been brought there around the 3rd century B.C. Anuradhapura houses some of tallest dagobas (mound-like structures), remains of palaces, monasteries and temples that include the renowned temple of the Holy BO Tree.
- Visit “the Tree of Enlightenment”, which was said to have been brought there around the 3rd century B.C
- Enjoy a sightseeing adventure to the city’s various dagobas (mound-like structures), remains of palaces, monasteries and temples.
Min 30°C/86°F Max 33°C/91°F
As Sri Lanka is close to the equator, Anuradhapura experiences uniform weather throughout the year - except for the two months of rain (monsoon).
- Best time to travelYear round
- LanguagesSinhala, Tamil and English are all officially recognised languages.
- Flying to AnuradhapuraBandaranaike International Airport at Katunayake is the International Airport for Sri Lanka - serviced by flights from the UK, Middle East, India, Singapore and Europe.
- CurrencySri Lankan Rupee
A spectacular 13-night itinerary including some of India’s most magnificent architectural wonders as well as some of its iconic wildlife sanctuaries.
This 9 night itinerary, combines the discovery of the 400-year old Galle Fort, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Nestled in a village in the ancient kingdom of Anuradhapura, Ulagalla Resort collides a previous era with the modern comforts of the present.
An important and established Buddhist site, Kandy was formerly known as the city of Senkadagalapura.
Jetwing Vil Uyana is situated among reed beds and paddy fields and over the first man-made lake since the era of Parakramabahu I.
Ready to start planning your adventure?