Embark on a journey to the ancient city of Anuradhapura. This picturesque destination was once the religious capital of Sri Lanka.
The picturesque and sacred city of Anuradhapura was Sri Lanka's political and religious capital, flourishing for 1 300 years before being abandoned following an invasion in 993 AD. Formed around a cutting from the Buddha's BO tree, "The Tree of Enlightenment", which was said to have been brought there around the 3rd century B.C.
Anuradhapura houses some of tallest dagobas (mound-like structures), remains of palaces, monasteries and temples that include the renowned temple of the Holy BO Tree.
- Visit “the Tree of Enlightenment”, which was said to have been brought there around the 3rd century B.C
- Enjoy a sightseeing adventure to the city’s various dagobas (mound-like structures), remains of palaces, monasteries and temples.
Min 30°C/86°F Max 33°C/91°F
As Sri Lanka is close to the equator, Anuradhapura experiences uniform weather throughout the year - except for the two months of rain (monsoon).
- Best time to travelYear round
- LanguagesSinhala, Tamil and English are all officially recognised languages.
- Flying to AnuradhapuraBandaranaike International Airport, at Katunayake, is the International Airport for Sri Lanka and is serviced by flights from the UK, Middle East, India, Singapore and Europe.
- CurrencySri Lankan Rupee