Explore Sri Lanka
The tear drop shaped island of Sri Lanka lies in the Indian Ocean just off the southern tip of India. With its golden sandy beaches, azure blue waters and warm tropical climate, Sri Lanka is a year-round destination for holidaymakers seeking sun, sand and sea.
The island has a rich cultural heritage that dates back to over 2,000 years which is linked to the origins of Buddhism in the country with magnificently constructed stupas and the ruin remains of ancient kingdoms. Controlled from the 16th century onwards by the Portuguese, Dutch and finally the British prior to gaining full independence in 1948, the influences of colonial powers remain visible in architecture and a number of forts across the country.
Sri Lanka is recognised as a global biodiversity hotspot with a rich variety of endemic flora and fauna and incredibly for a small island can boast of large iconic animals such as the Asian Elephant, Leopard and the largest animal to have inhabited our planet, the Blue Whale. From palm fringed beaches to scrub jungles and numerous man-made lakes in the lowlands to tropical rainforests, cloud forests and highlands laden with waterfalls at its centre, this resplendent isle is abundant in natural beauty.
Sri Lanka Tours
This 9 night itinerary, combines the discovery of the 400-year old Galle Fort, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
About Sri Lanka
- Enjoy a walking tour of the capital city's historical Fort and Pettah districts
- Learn about the city's colonial past
- Visit historical sites such as the Dutch Period Museum and the Dutch Reformed Church
- Sample some fiery street food
- Recap your walk over iced cold beers at the Dutch Hospital Complex
27°C / 81°F to 32°C / 90°F
Rainfall varies regionally.
- Best time to travelIt’s a year round destination with its uniform weather and wonderful restaurants and historical sites.
- Traveling with childrenSri Lanka is an excellent family destination with a variety of activities for children of all ages and plenty of adventure for the whole family.
- Guest SafetyPlease do not drink tap water, always use bottled water for drinking. It is always prudent to avoid displaying valuable items in public.
- WildlifeLeopard, Sloth Bear, Asian Elephant, Mugger Crocodile, Spotted Deer, Other dry-zone wildlife, Elephants. Mirissa, Kalpitiya and Trincomalee, Endemic birding and Polonnaruwa: A year-round destination for watching primates.
- LanguageSinhala, Tamil and English are all officially recognized languages.
- CurrencyThe unit of currency in Sri Lanka is the Rupee, LKR where 1 USD is approximately LKR 130.00.
Colombo is the largest city on the island and is the industrial and cultural capital of Sri Lanka.
An important and established Buddhist site, Kandy was formerly known as the city of Senkadagalapura.