The tear drop shaped island of Sri Lanka lies in the Indian Ocean just off the southern tip of India. With its golden sandy beaches, azure blue waters and warm tropical climate, Sri Lanka is a year-round destination for holidaymakers seeking sun, sand and sea.
The island has a rich cultural heritage that dates back to over 2,000 years which is linked to the origins of Buddhism in the country with magnificently constructed stupas and the ruin remains of ancient kingdoms. Controlled from the 16th century onwards by the Portuguese, Dutch and finally the British prior to gaining full independence in 1948, the influences of colonial powers remain visible in architecture and a number of forts across the country.
Sri Lanka is recognised as a global biodiversity hotspot with a rich variety of endemic flora and fauna and incredibly for a small island can boast of large iconic animals such as the Asian Elephant, Leopard and the largest animal to have inhabited our planet, the Blue Whale. From palm fringed beaches to scrub jungles and numerous man-made lakes in the lowlands to tropical rainforests, cloud forests and highlands laden with waterfalls at its centre, this resplendent isle is abundant in natural beauty.
Sri Lanka Tours
Embrace the very best of Sri Lanka and the Maldives on this exceptional 10-day cultural and idyllic beach adventure.
This incredible 10-day Sri Lanka tour offers exceptional cultural, wildlife and beach excursions in three of Sri Lanka’s most iconic destinations.
About Sri Lanka
- Enjoy a walking tour of Colombo’s historical Fort and Pettah districts as well as visits to sites such as the Dutch Period Museum and the Dutch Reformed Church
- Explore the Temple of the Tooth Relic (a sacred tooth of the Buddha) in Kandy
- Strap on your hiking boots and make your way to the top of the Sigiriya Rock Fortress
- Discover the ancient temples of Polonnaruwa
- Visit “the Tree of Enlightenment”, at Anuradhapura, which was said to have been brought there around the 3rd century BC
- Embark on a memorable tea tour through the flourishing plantations of Hatton
- Grab a camera to capture the unforgettable blue whale encounters in Mirissa
- Delight in a guided tour of the magnificent Galle Fort
27°C / 81°F to 32°C / 90°F
Rainfall varies regionally.
- Best time to travel Sri Lanka is a year round destination with its uniform weather and wonderful restaurants and historical sites.
- Travelling with children Sri Lanka is an excellent family destination with a variety of activities for children of all ages and plenty of adventure for the whole family.
- Guest Safety Please do not drink the tap water, always use bottled water for drinking. It is always advisable to avoid displaying valuable items in public.
- Wildlife Leopard, Sloth bear, Asian elephant, mugger crocodile, spotted deer, other dry-zone wildlife and elephants. Blue whale watching at Mirissa, endemic birding and Polonnaruwa is year-round destination for watching primates.
- Language Sinhala, Tamil and English are all officially recognised languages.
- Currency The unit of currency in Sri Lanka is the Rupee, LKR where 1 USD is approximately LKR 130.
Explore the industrial and cultural capital of Sri Lanka, with a not-to-be-missed tour in Colombo.
Embark on a wonderful, guided tour of historical Kandy, home to the Temple of the Sacred Tooth.
From scheduled flights and transfers to self-drives and public transport, find out more on how to travel around Sri Lanka.
Find all the must-know travel requirements and destination information on Sri Lanka before you embark on your adventure.
We have gathered our most frequently asked travel questions on Sri Lanka to answer any queries you may have before you travel.
Ready to start planning your adventure?