Our commitment to operate with minimum impact on the land under our custodianship is supported by our three over-arching Vision 2020 goals that focus on the reduction of our direct carbon footprint, our sustainable use of water, and our countdown to zero plastic water bottles.
Annual lodge audits
In line with these undertakings, each of our lodges is subjected to an annual intensive sustainability audit to determine their individual environmental impact covering aspects such as water usage, renewable energy sources, waste production and management. This enables us to formulate lodge-specific stratagies to address their particular impact challenges.
Efficient building practices
The elements of responsible water usage, energy-efficient measures, waste management and sustainably sourced materials are clearly evident in our lodge new-build and rebuild practices.
Vision 2020: Care of the Land objectives
01: REDUCING OUR DIRECT CARBON FOOTPRINT BY 8% BY:
1.1. Reducing reliance on non-renewable energy
- Ratio of 43% renewable to 57% non-renewable energy at all generator based lodges
1.2. Set up a discipline of measurement:
- 100% of our lodges are audited with a minimum group average audit score of 95%
- Average Group Stats accuracy score of 95%
1.3. Building for efficiency
- 100% of all new builds will have been signed off against a sustainability checklist by the Sustainability Manager
02: SUSTAINABLE USE OF WATER BY:
2.1. Reducing water use from source
- Maximum group water usage per head = 500 l
2.2. Increase re-use and effective water management
- 57% of all lodges to be installed with above-ground wastewater treatment plants
03: ZERO PLASTIC WATER BOTTLES BY:
3.1. Installation of bottling plants at 100% of &Beyond lodges
3.2. Making use if regional recycling initiatives