Renowned as one of Africa’s greatest wildlife sanctuaries, South Luangwa is home to an abundance of game, which frequents the Luangwa River and its oxbow lagoons. The Luangwa River is the most intact river system in Africa and is the life blood of the park's 9 050 km² (3 500 square miles).
South Luangwa is also the birthplace of the walking safari – one of the best ways to get up-close-and-personal with the park’s pristine wilderness, which boasts 60 animal species and over 400 bird species.
The valley is dotted with waterholes and filled with sunbathing crocodiles and lazy hippos. While out on the plains, visitors can view large herds of elephant, some up to 70 strong, and encounter the mighty buffalo.
- The South Luangwa National Park is home to the original Walking African Safari. South Luangwa is also one of the premier game viewing destinations in Zambia and throughout Africa. Situated far from any major cities South Luangwa is a remote wilderness experience and doesn't have the mass of tourism associated with it as some other National Parks in Africa.
- South Luangwa is generally considered to be the finest park in Zambia, set in a broad valley, bordered by the Rift Escarpment and centred on the languid meandering Luangwa river.
- A really rich and diverse range of game is present and very visible, especially along the river during the dry season Jun/Nov.
May - August
Min 20°C/68°F Max 38°C/86°F
Rainfall November - April
Min 15°C/66°F Max 25°C/77°F
- Best time to travelThe best time for game viewing in Zambia is during the dry season, May to October, when animals congregate around the rivers and waterholes
- WildlifeThornicroft's Giraffe is found only in the South Luangwa and Cookson's wildebeest is endemic to the area.
- LanguagesEnglish is widely spoken.
- Flying to South LuangwaThere are good international connections to Livingstone and Lusaka, and frequent scheduled flights between these two major gateways. Generally, however, travel to the game parks is undertaken by private or scheduled charter.
- CurrencyThe currency is US Dollars
Enhance Your Experience With
- A Sundowner Cruise on the African Queen
Ready to start planning your adventure?
This charming colonial town, named after the legendary Victorian missionary and explorer Dr David Livingstone, was once the bustling capital of Zambia
The spectacular Lower Zambezi National Park spans 4 092 km² (1 580 square miles) of pristine wilderness.