Care of the Land
As the world becomes more crowded and people's lives get faster and fuller, so the peace and tranquillity of the natural world becomes an increasing attraction. With growing numbers of people visiting areas of scenic beauty, it is crucial to ensure impacts on natural environments are minimised.
Conservation, which is at the foundation of &Beyond's business, is the preservation and careful management of the environment and of natural resources. This applies to the way we consume resources in our everyday lives, as well as to the protection of biodiversity within natural ecosystems. The continued existence of human life is dependent on conservation because our air, food and water requirements are inextricably linked to the state of our environment. Conservation is not a 'nice-to-have' - it is critical for the maintenance of functioning ecosystems that support all life on Earth.
Nature as Lifeblood
Biodiversity is the full spectrum of living things in a particular place, as well as the web of ecological processes that unite plant and animal communities.
In addition to maintaining the vital life-sustaining systems of our planet, the complexity and beauty of wild nature fulfils deep aesthetic, intellectual and sometimes spiritual needs among humans. At &Beyond we understand this and, through sensitive, interpretive guiding techniques, we bring this wonder and majesty alive for all our guests.
We already contribute to the sustenance of over 3.7 million acres of wildlife land and, by expanding our network, the &Beyond model seeks to place more land on a sustainable economic footing through high-yield, low impact responsible tourism.
Commitments to the Land
In order to achieve our multiple goals, &Beyond is committed to the following conservation strategy:
- To minimise environmental impacts and maximise sensitivity towards wildlife and habitats (in construction and operation)
- To facilitate sustainable conservation development projects with our neighbours
- To provide a world-class interpretative experience for our guests
- To encourage and stimulate personal commitment from our staff
- To provide financial and other support to independent wildlife conservation NGOs
- To channel profits from financially successful safari operations into projects and programmes that conserve biodiversity by securing threatened ecosystems
The &Beyond guest experience revolves around the ancient drama of the great wildlife spectacles of the world - a natural theatre.
The &Beyond model of community participation has become the standard for ecotourism within the industry.
Sustainability is not always about reduction - it's sometimes about growth.
Carlisle on Conservation
Catch up with our Group Conservation Manager, Les Carlisle, on his blog.