Your journey at a glance
Embark on this exciting 9-day itinerary that explores the glorious landscapes of southern Chile, including various destinations that are well off the beaten track. Once you cross the Bío-Bío River, the spectacular Lake District begins some 500 km (310 miles) south of the Chilean capital of Santiago. From this point on, temperatures are lower, the air more humid, and snow-capped volcanoes and ancient forests drape the landscape.
However, this region is not only about nature, but there are also significant cultural attributes that make this terrain really interesting. The Mapuche Indians form Chile’s largest ethnic group, and it was in this area that they fiercely defended their land against the Incas and the Spanish, proving themselves courageous and daunting opponents. Neither empire advanced beyond this area, such was their resilience. German settlers arrived to the region in the 19th Century, and their stamp is particularly visible in-and-around Puerto Varas. Marvel at Chile’s natural and cultural wonders while traversing this breathtaking region.
2 nights Santiago | 1 night Puerto Varas | 2 nights Huilo Huilo | 3 nights Lake District
8 Days | From USD 5,800 per person
Please keep in mind that his tour can be tailormade by speaking to one of our Travel Specialists.
- Welcome and assistance service at all airports
- Accommodation inclusions as per the itinerary
- All transport as mentioned
- Domestic air tickets
- Administration fees – where applicable
What's not included
- International airfare/airport taxes
- Early check-in or late check-out charges
- Items of personal nature like laundry, phone calls, etc.
- Any video/still camera fee during the trip
- Excess baggage
- Visa or reciprocity fee expenses. Please check your nearest embassy
- Itinerary based on a minimum of 2 guests
- Validity periods are as specified above; should a booking fall over two rate periods the rate will change and we reserve the right to re-quote
- Rates are not valid over the festive season from 20 December 2018 – 15 January 2019
- &Beyond Vira Vira will be closed in May & June, so travel to the lodge on this tour during this time will not be possible
- The rates quoted are subject to change without warning if there are any increases in Chile
- &Beyond trading terms apply
Plan your journey
This unforgettable journey showcases just a few of our favourite experience combinations in this iconic destination. It is merely an example from which you can use to start dreaming and creating your own adventure with one of our dedicated Travel Specialists.
A taste of what to expect…
Day 1: Santiago
- On arrival at Santiago’s International Airport you will be warmly welcomed by a member of the andBeyond team, who will assist you through passport control & baggage claim. You will then be driven to your hotel in Santiago
- In the afternoon, enjoy a tour dedicated to highlighting the contrasts between the older, more centrally located areas, and the modern uptown stretch of Santiago. The adventure will be conducted in chronological order, allowing you the opportunity to understand the origins of the city, and the urban sprawl over the past 200 years, when Santiago morphed from town to great metropolis
- Focal points will include Cerro Santa Lucía, where the city was founded in 1542, the Plaza de Armas, the Central Market, Estación Mapocho (a former railway station), and La Moneda, the Presidential Palace. The second half of the tour will take you to the residential areas of Providencia and Ñuñoa, and the cosmopolitan financial district of Las Condes, before reaching La Dehesa which lies at the foothills of the Andes, and offers a superb vantage point for a panoramic view of the city.
Day 2: Wineries tour
- After breakfast, your guide will meet you for a full day’s discovery of some of Chile’s finest wineries. Blessed with perfect terroir and climate, Chile has established itself as a major producer of high quality, value for money wines
- This tour focusses on small, independent wineries in the central coastal region. Wineries located between Santiago and the coast are producing some of the most interesting wines in the country
- Each morning a thick cool fog blankets the land, giving way to bright sunshine in the afternoon. These are ideal conditions for grapes such as Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, and Pinot Noir. Not only are these wineries creating a high quality product, they are also adhering to ecologically sound practices. Surprisingly, Chile has by far the largest average winery size of any wine producing nation
Day 3: Puerto Varas
- After breakfast, you will be collected for your domestic flight to the southern city of Puerto Montt. Upon arrival at Puerto Montt, you will be welcomed by a local andBeyond representative, who will drive you to the charming town of Puerto Varas
- Tucked between scenic Lago Llanquihue and the snow-capped Osorno and Calbuco Volcanoes, the enchanting village of Puerto Varas blends a rich German heritage with the stunning natural beauty of southern Chile’s Patagonia region
- The quaint town centre features delightful wood-shingled homes, a public plaza teeming with rose gardens and unparalleled access to world-class adventures such as kayaking, canyoneering, rock climbing, fishing, hiking and skiing
- The best way to see the city of Puerto Varas is to walk from one end to another and observe its unmistakable German-inspired architecture, modern residential and beautiful gardens
- One of the highlights is the colourful and impressive Church of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, which was founded in 1853 by German and Swiss settlers who came to populate southern Chile
- Two natural viewpoints are Phillipi and Calvario hills, from both an overall view of the city, around the notion and extension of Llanquihue lake and lush vegetation that borders is obtained
- Admire the Bay of Puerto Varas that can only be seen in all its glory as a backdrop and see if the weather permits the imposing Osorno volcano which with its daily snowmelt feeds Llanquihue lake
Day 4 - 6: Huilo Huilo Biological Reserve
- You will be met by a lodge representative and driven north to the Huilo Huilo Biological Reserve
- The Huilo Huilo Biological Reserve is located in the middle of the Chilean Patagonian rainforest, under the majestic Andes Mountain Range.
- Your stay will be a fascinating journey through the many wonders of this reserve, where you will learn about the area, the Huilo Huilo Foundation and their commitment to sustainable tourism.
- You will have two full days to pick and choose from the fun-filled adventures including trekking, educational walks, mountain biking, horseback riding, canopy tours, 4X4 excursions, snow adventures (available from July to October, subject to weather conditions)
Day 6 - 9: Lake District
- Be spoilt for choice with myriad adventures hosted by knowledgeable and engaging guides at &Beyond Vira Vira, including horseback riding, trekking, fly fishing, whitewater rafting, kayaking, skiing, and scenic helicopter flights. The list is seemingly endless with fly fishing, mountain biking, and a variety of water sports. All excursions are specifically tailored according to your interests and fitness levels
- Dine on sublime cuisine with the ‘farm-to-table’ concept of producing everything required for the award-winning restaurant at &Beyond Vira Vira
- Gain insight into the fascinating local Mapuche people
- Gaze up at the magnificent blanket of stars whilst relaxing in one of the two lodge hot tubs, enjoy wellness retreats, therapies and massages in the spa, and balance your chakras with daily yoga classes
- Curl up with a good book in the library, and for a spot of retail therapy, peruse beautiful items in the &Beyond Shop
Day 9: Departure
- Today, we wave a fond farewell as you are collected after breakfast and transferred to Temuco Airport for your flight to Santiago International Airport
- Upon landing, an andBeyond representative will be waiting to assist you with the connection to your international flight onwards