Your journey at a glance
Conquer Mount Kilimanjaro on this exceptional 9-day hiking adventure to the “Roof of Africa”.
The trio of volcanic cones of Kibo, Mawenzi and Shira that reside on Mount Kilimanjaro are breath-taking and summiting this mammoth mountain is a magnificent feat.
This once-in-a-lifetime journey can be taken as a standalone tour or as a captivating add-on to an East Africa safari. Choose the route most suited to you to the pinnacle of Kilimanjaro, you will have the opportunity to rest at various campsites along the way.
The hike is led by expert guides, with years of experience climbing this majestic mountain, and you will also be assisted by a friendly crew of mountaineers to ensure your Kilimanjaro experience is truly unforgettable.
The route winds through a spectacular array of landscapes, which include verdant Afromontane forests, a heath zone of yellow helichrysum (also known as golden eternal flowers) and purple lobelia plants, alpine forests and glacial valleys, making for exceptional photographic opportunities
PLAN YOUR JOURNEY
This unforgettable journey showcases just a few of our favourite experience combinations in this iconic destination. It is merely an example from which you can use to start dreaming and creating your own adventure with one of our dedicated Travel Specialists.
A taste of what to expect…
Day 1: Arusha
- On arrival at Kilimanjaro International Airport, you will be warmly welcomed by a member from our &Beyond team and driven to Arusha Coffee Lodge.
- Spend your night at leisure acclimatising for your climb
Day 2-8: Kilimanjaro
- Machame Camp – As you climb to Machame Camp, traverse through magnificent verdant Afromontane forest and enjoy the sightings of colourful endemic flora. This route is ideal for average climbers and is a very popular route that summits Kilimanjaro. Reach your camp and have a fabulous evening conversing with fellow climbers.
- Shira Camp – Your trek starts off quite steeply as you hike to Shira Camp. The Shira Plateau landscape is stunning terrain that features tropical rainforest and lush shrubland. This stretch of the hike is known for its beauty and spectacular views of the distant Mt Meru and Kibo, the top of Kilimanjaro.
- Barranco Camp – Trek towards Barranco Camp through the alpine desert, this day is marked by walking high with very little sleep. Trek through incredible alpine desert, and if you can rouse up enough strength, make your way up to Lava Tower. Along the way enjoy a picnic lunch, and when you start to tire remember that the next time you head to this altitude is in two days’ time, a great acclimatisation day!
- Karanga Camp – Enjoy your walk to Karanga Camp and marvel at picturesque views, a short hiking day, you can enjoy a wholesome lunch once you arrive at Karanga Camp.
- Barafu Camp -Ascend to Barafu Camp through intriguing desolate desert, in the early evening capture the breath-taking views of the Mawenzi Peak before dinner, and get an early evening rest before the thrilling early morning start tomorrow.
- Mweka Camp – the summit bid – Today is the day you make your own history, and summit the magnificent Mount Kilimanjaro. Wake early before dawn and make your way to the summit. You are almost there, and your patience, perseverance and sheer fortitude will push you on. As the golden rays of sunrise strike the earth you reach the rim, and the magnificence of your surrounds are revealed. As you ascend via Stella Point, traverse a short final stint and throw your hands to the heavens, on Uhuru Peak, the roof of Africa! You have made it!
- As with all things in life what comes up must go down, so after your much-deserved celebrations your final goal of this remarkable journey is to reach Mweka Camp in approximately seven-hours before dusk.
- After a breakfast descend through the lush montane forest and say your farewells to your fellow climbers. You will be collected and driven back to you your lodge for a glorious well-deserved shower.
Day 9: Departure
Today your intrepid journey comes to an end as a member of the &Beyond team collects you from your hotel and either drives you to Kilimanjaro International Airport or to your onward safari or beach holiday.
Tailormake your journey
Add these must-do experiences
Channel your inner travel addict
You’re just 5 easy (and fun) steps away from creating your ideal Travel Dream Board.
Step 1: Select which part of the planet you wish to explore
Step 2: Clarify what kind of traveller you are
Step 3: Tick off those grand bucket list experiences that will fire your imagination
Step 4: Log in to create and add to your Dream Board
Step 5: Share & start dreaming