Your journey at a glance
Immerse yourself in iconic destinations on this 10-day bucket list itinerary that whisks you away to the gorilla haven of Rwanda, spectacular wildlife in an ancient volcanic crater, and losing yourself in the barefoot paradise of the Spice Island Zanzibar.
Your journey begins in Rwanda, where you will trek one of the world’s most extraordinary species in Volcanoes National Park, made famous by primatologist and conservationist Dian Fossey.
The next leg of your adventure lures you to the famous Ngorongoro Crater. Spend a day in this World Heritage Site, an extinct caldera that is home to over 70 000 animals, including the Big 5 and endangered black rhino.
Your journey culminates on Mnemba Island, a tiny island covered in white coral sand. Surrender to absolute tranquillity on serene sunset strolls, gift yourself holistic wellbeing with yoga and massages, explore the kaleidoscopic underwater world, and gain insight into marine conservation initiatives being made by &Beyond and the Island team.
Gain a deeper understanding of the magnificent diversity and unique cultures of East Africa, and explore the two significant heritage sites of Ngorongoro Crater and Stone Town.
Stay in three of the most architecturally unique and interesting lodges in East Africa, and create unforgettable memories on this itinerary that explores a trio of captivating regions.
10 Days | From USD 14,738
Please keep in mind that this tour can be tailormade by speaking to one of our Travel Specialists. Do note that there may be a significant difference in the high season tariffs.
- Accommodation inclusions as per itinerary
- Meet and Greet at Kigali International Airport
- All scheduled transfers:
- Kigali International Airport/Kigali Serena /Bisate Lodge/Kigali International Airport
- Emergency medical evacuation insurance
- Administration fee
- andBeyond trading terms apply
- Gorilla Permit - Rwanda, Crater Fees, Tourism Development Levy, Concession Fee, Park Fees, Tourism Development Levy / Infrastructure tax
What's not included
- International flights and applicable airport departure taxes
- Meals not specified (including lunch and other meal stops between properties on overland sectors)
- &Beyond Mnemba Island is closed from 8 April – 20 May 2020
- Drinks where not stipulated in itinerary
- Items of a personal nature: fax, telephone, etc.
- Laundry in Kigali
- Meet and Greet not included on the Bisate Itinerary
- Gratuities for guide/driver/hotel staff
- Air transfers as specified, including Departure Taxes
- Any scheduled commercial flights and related taxes;
- Any extras and additional activities not mentioned in the itinerary. Optional activities not included in the price:
- Historical or cultural tour of Kigali
- KOPE Lion conservation experience at Ngorongoro Crater
- Crater Rim Walk
- Empakai Hike
- Private yoga at Mnemba Island
- Wellness treatments
- Any new Government Taxes, levies, fuel or industry increases which are beyond our control;
- For adding another Gorilla Trek we shall charge $1500 per person per Gorilla permit
- Travel Insurance is not included. However, should you be interested, we can introduce you to our recommended partner, Global Rescue.
Read MoreGlobal Rescue has been operating across the globe for a number of years, and is an independent service provider to &Beyond, with no legal affiliation to our company. Should you wish to procure travel insurance products through Global Rescue, such services or products will be governed by terms and conditions solely determined by Global Rescue. It is wholly your responsibility to be fully acquainted with Global Rescue’s terms and conditions contained on its website regarding the use of its services or its products prior, to, and after, your purchase.
- Rates are subject to change.
- Our high season typically covers travel between July and September as well as Christmas, New Years and Easter.
- &Beyond trading terms apply
PLAN YOUR JOURNEY
This unforgettable journey showcases just a few of our favourite experience combinations in this iconic destination. It is merely an example from which you can use to start dreaming and creating your own adventure with one of our dedicated Travel Specialists.
A taste of what to expect…
Day 1: Kigali
- On your arrival at Kigali International Airport a representative will meet you and drive you to your hotel.
- History, architecture and culture collide in Kigali, the perfect starting point for an unforgettable gorilla trek – one of Africa’s most fascinating wilderness experiences.
- Enjoy an optional Cultural or Historical tour of Kigali that includes sensory stops at the city market, a well organised, whirling space selling a variety of vegetables, fruits, cereals, wood, home products, textiles and handcrafted goods. (This activity is at your own expense)
- Relax and recoup before your journey to Volcanoes National Park the following day.
Day 2-3: Volcanoes National Park
- This morning you will be collected from your hotel and driven to Bisate Lodge at Volcanoes National Park.
- Volcanoes National Park (Parc National des Volcans) protects the steep rainforested slopes of the magnificent Virunga Mountain range.
- Rare mountain gorillas and golden monkeys reside on the lush slopes of Rwanda’s Virungas.
- Track a family of Mountain gorillas through their natural habitat, or follow equally rare golden monkey troops as they frolic through the trees.
- Enjoy stunning views of the magnificent Virunga volcanoes
- Take a hike up to the grave of renowned primatologist and gorilla activist, Dian Fossey.
- Explore local communities
Day 4: Ngorongoro Crater
- Wake early this morning for your drive to Kigali where you will connect to your flight to Manyara airstrip in Tanzania. Here you will be welcomed by your &Beyond Ngorongoro Crater Lodge guide, for your scenic drive to the lodge.
- One of the most famous African landscapes, discover a landscape of dramatic contrasts,
- With the natural riches of the Crater and unique architecture it’s easy to believe that you have entered a realm of pure fantasy.
- Enjoy your evening at the lodge, with the spectacular view of this World Heritage Site.
Day 5: Ngorongoro Crater
- Today you head in to Ngorongoro Crater, famed as an ancient caldera and unique ecosystem encompassing teaming game and interesting interactions.
- Spend a day in the Crater, looking for big tuskers and the endangered Rhino, or if you feel like stretching your legs, do a Crater Rim walk or book a full day Empakai Hike.
- We highly recommend participating in a KOPELion conservation experience, or meet the lion guardians that work with communities in this area. Be sure to book this activity in advance.
- Watch the sun setting over the Crater rim to the powerful sights and sounds of Maasai warriors.
Day 6: Zanzibar
- Leave the lodge early for your drive to Manyara airstrip to connect to your flight to Zanzibar via Arusha
- On your arrival in Zanzibar, you will be welcomed by your &Beyond driver who will take you to Muyuni Beach – where a boat will be waiting for a short 10 minute hop to Mnemba Island.
- Be utterly mesmerised at this idyllic island paradise, your home for the next four days.
Day 7-9: Zanzibar
- Unwind in absolute tranquillity and do as little or as much as you would like to.
- We recommend indulging in a private yoga class or wellness treatment in the privacy of your banda.
- Explore the spectacular underwater world and go diving or snorkelling.
- Sail into the billowing orange hued sky on a sunset dhow cruise.
- Curl up with a good book in your beach banda or simply gaze at in the shimmering ocean.
- Enjoy a spot of retail therapy and peruse beautiful items in the Beach Shop.
Day 10: Departure
- Wave a fond farewell as you depart your island paradise.
- After breakfast hop on a boat to Muyuni beach where your driver will be waiting to take you to Zanzibar International Airport for your international flights onward.