Your journey at a glance
Explore Africa on a magnificent 8-day journey filled with spectacular scenery, fascinating history, thrilling Big Five safaris and the ultimate beach vacation.
Delve deep into the heart of KwaZulu-Natal’s picturesque Battlefields, with their poignant reminders of the dramatic conflicts of the war between the local Zulu tribe and British colonial forces.
After your step back in time, experience a true African safari at diverse &Beyond Phinda Private Game Reserve, renowned for its excellent Big Five sightings, as well as close encounters with the elegant cheetah.
Your thrilling wildlife adventure culminates with the ultimate relaxation on the pristine beaches of the subtropical coastline, enjoying snorkelling and kayaking, as well as guided walks through the magnificent landscape and fascinating visits to the local community.
2 nights Rorke’s Drift Battlefields | 2 nights &Beyond Phinda Private Game Reserve | 3 nights Maputaland
8 Days | From ZAR 43,937 per person
Please keep in mind that this tour can be tailormade by speaking to one of our Travel Specialists. Do note that there may be a significant difference in the high season tariffs.
- Meet & Greet
- Medical Evacuation Insurance
- Munyawana Conservancy Fee and Park Fee
- Accommodation inclusions
- Costs include VAT, transfers to and from the lodge airstrip
- Car Rental for 8 days in Group B Vehicle on super cover including contract fee
- Super cover inclusions and exclusions apply for the car rental
- Scheduled pickup and drop off transfers at Coastal Cashews
- Administration Fee
What's not included
- Travel Insurance is not included. However, should you be interested, we can introduce you to our recommended partner, Global Rescue.
Read MoreGlobal Rescue has been operating across the globe for a number of years, and is an independent service provider to &Beyond, with no legal affiliation to our company. Should you wish to procure travel insurance products through Global Rescue, such services or products will be governed by terms and conditions solely determined by Global Rescue. It is wholly your responsibility to be fully acquainted with Global Rescue’s terms and conditions contained on its website regarding the use of its services or its products prior, to, and after, your purchase.
- Rates subject to a minimum of 2 guests travelling
- Kindly note that this itinerary is valid until 30th October 2019 due to the Bidvest Car rental contract being valid until this period
- The operator may reroute the itinerary or accommodate in similar lodges in case of non-availability
- Single traveller supplement will be quoted on request
- Child rates will be quoted on request
- Validity periods are as specified above - should a booking fall over two rate periods the rate will change and we reserve the right to re-quote
- Additional suggested activities not included in the rate
- The rates quoted are subject to change without prior warning if there are any increases in bed levies, park fees, fuel, sales tax or VAT, third-party services or any other circumstances beyond our control in the countries featured in this quote
- Rates are subject to change.
- Our high season typically covers travel between July and September as well as Christmas, New Years and Easter.
- andBeyond Trading Terms apply
Plan your journey
This unforgettable journey showcases just a few of our favourite experience combinations in this iconic destination. It is merely an example from which you can use to start dreaming and creating your own adventure with one of our dedicated Travel Specialists.
A taste of what to expect…
Day 1: Fugitive’s Drift
- Arrive in Durban and make your way to Fugitive’s Drift Lodge set on a hillside above the Buffalo River Gorge.
- Steeped in history, this celebrated lodge is situated on the site of the original Rattray homestead — home of the renowned Battlefields storyteller David Rattray.
- Spacious suites include comfortable rooms boasting spectacular views of the wide plains.
- A delicious fusion of local and contemporary meals are served in the elegant dining room, adorned with Zulu War memorabilia.
Day 2: Fugitive’s Drift
- After a delicious breakfast, the day is yours to embark on exciting activities and excursions.
- Fugitives Drift is renowned for delivering battlefield tours that bring the battles of Rorke’s Drift and Isandlwana to life.
- Choose to sink into the cool depths of the sparkling swimming pool, positioned on the lip of the Buffalo River Gorge
- Enjoy guided walks, horse rides and mountain biking off the beaten track through the Fugitive’s Drift reserve, fly-fishing and visits to the Rorke’s Drift Arts and Crafts Centre and Talana Museum.
Day 3: &Beyond Phinda Private Game Reserve
- This morning after breakfast you will be driven to &Beyond Phinda Private Game Reserve, known for its abundant wildlife, diversity of habitats and a wide range of safari activities, where you will spend 2 nights.
- A landscape made up of seven distinct ecosystems &Beyond Phinda is often referred to as ‘Seven Worlds of Wonder.’
- This fascinating variety of landscape and vegetation shelters an abundance of wildlife, including not only the Big Five but many rarer and less easily spotted species, such as the elusive cheetah or the scarce Black rhino.
- Enjoy exciting day and night game drives and interpretative walking safaris, gaining insight into the bush and discovering creatures you would not normally see on a game vehicle.
Day 4: &Beyond Phinda Private Game Reserve
- Sink into one of the inviting sofas on the deck and indulge in a creamy cappuccino while you watch the sunrise. Relish a sumptuous breakfast and get ready for a day filled with thrilling activities, some of which are at an additional cost.
- A range of Phinda Adventures options includes black rhino tracking on foot, a Zulu Village Tour, Spending a night under the stars, rhino notching, turtle nesting trips (in season)
- Enjoy a Specialist Walking Safari or if booked ahead, experience a life-changing elephant or rhino conservation activity.
Day 5: Maputaland
- Today you drive to Thonga Beach Lodge where you will spend 3 nights.
- Set amongst the foliage of a lush coastal forest above a secluded bay, just metres from the beach, spacious suites are hidden in the dune forest and raised on wooden stilts.
- All have private balconies and ensuite bathrooms. Look forward to relaxing on the untouched beaches of the subtropical coastline, taking glorious walks into the sunset, and a variety of marine and cultural adventures.
Day 6: Maputaland
- Wake up this morning and bound into the ocean to explore some of the exquisite dive sites near the lodge.
- Enjoy a glorious day in the sun and swim, soak up the views from the sitting room or sip on cocktails at the “ocean” bar.
- Make a splash and go snorkelling and scuba diving, and meander through enchanting lush foliage on forest walks.
- Enjoy turtle tours (in season), fishing and bird watching or enjoy open-ocean adventures which include swimming with dolphins, and snorkelling with manta rays and giant turtles.
Day 7: Maputaland
- Enjoy a delicious breakfast, then visit the Mabibi Community. Interact and engage with the friendly locals and learn about their traditional plant medicines, and discover herbs for healing at a witch doctor.
- Chat to children at the community school and sip a chilled beer while learning local lingo at a festive shebeen.
- End off your day at Lake Sibaya, Southern Africa’s largest freshwater lake. Sip sundowners on its shores or explore beautiful scenery by guided kayak, with the great possibility of spotting hippo and crocodiles en route.
Day 8: Your journey comes to an end
After breakfast, we wave a fond farewell before you will be driven back to King Shaka International Airport in Durban for departure.