Your journey at a glance
Discover Peru’s signature destinations of Lima, Sacred Valley, Machu Picchu, the alluring city of Cusco and the Amazon on an unforgettable 10-day family journey.
Kick-start your adventure in the vibrant and friendly city of Lima. Renowned for its rich cultural heritage, this sprawling metropolis offers a dazzling array of family-friendly attractions, including interpretative tours of the National Museum and the Museum of Natural History. Lima has been hailed as South America’s culinary capital and will provide a delectable introduction to Peruvian cuisine.
Next, discover the Sacred Valley, where ancient Incan farming terraces are still cultivated by the region’s inhabitants of today. The wondrous landscapes of the valley lend themselves to an array of outdoor activities such as mountain biking, trekking, horseback riding, river rafting, paddle boarding, and zip-lining. Introduce your children to the local residents and learn about their ancient traditions, or take a trip to the historic salt mines to discover the Incan salt mining process. Hop aboard the luxurious Vistadome train, designed to provide panoramic views of the dramatic landscapes, as your adventure extends to an exploration of the ancient citadel of Machu Picchu, a bucket-list experience that you and your family will never forget. A shroud of mystery surrounds these ruins. Some speculate that it was established as a university, while others claim that it was built as a retreat for royalty. Your private guide will give you his interpretation, and you can decide.
The next leg of your adventure takes you and your loved ones to the Incan capital of Cusco. This enchanting destination greets visitors with an invitingly festive atmosphere. Bustling markets, brimming with authentic curios, and beautiful architecture, inspired by both the Incans and Spanish colonialists, add to the charm of the city.
The last stop in this diverse itinerary is at the Amazon, the rainforest that will enchant any wildlife lover.
2 nights Lima | 2 nights Sacred Valley | 1 night Machu Picchu | 2 nights Cusco | 2 nights Northern Amazon
10 Days | From USD 9,525 per person
Please keep in mind that this tour can be tailormade by speaking to one of our Travel Specialists. Do note that there may be a significant difference in the high season tariffs.
- All nights of accommodation mentioned in the program
- Private transportation in the best available vehicles
- Private, English speaking local guides
- Meals as indicated in the program
- Entrance tickets to Machu Picchu and all sites mentioned in the itinerary
- Vistadome train from Cusco to Aguas Calientes and vice versa
- Domestic air tickets and local airport tax
- Taxes included, where applicable
What's not included
- International airfare / airport taxes
- Early check in or late check-out charges
- Items of personal nature like laundry, phone calls, etc.
- Any video/still camera fee during the trip
- Excess baggage
- Visa or reciprocity fee expenses. Please check your nearest embassy
- The itinerary is based on a minimum of 3 guests
- Rates are valid until 23 Dec 2018/9; should a booking fall over 29 March – 1 April 2018/9 (Easter) or 28 – 29 July 2018/9 (national celebrations) the rate will change and we reserve the right to re-quote
- The rates quoted are subject to change without warning if there are any increases in Peru
- &Beyond trading terms apply
Plan your journey
This unforgettable journey showcases just a few of our favourite experience combinations in this iconic destination. It is merely an example from which you can use to start dreaming and creating your own adventure with one of our dedicated Travel Specialists.
A taste of what to expect…
Day 1 - 3: Lima
- Embark on a guided city tour of Lima’s historic downtown, starting with a visit to the main plaza and the surrounding monuments. These include the Cathedral of Lima, an architectural masterpiece built in 1534; the Presidential Palace where the colourful changing of the palace guard offers an excellent photo opportunity; the Archbishop’s Palace, City Hall, the Desamparados train station, and the Moorish-style houses and balconies that line Lima’s old streets
- In the afternoon, hop on a bicycle for a leisurely Biking Tour. This is a perfect introduction to Lima’s most charming and trendy neighbourhoods including the famous promenade locally known as “El Malecon”. Explore cool and arty hotspots, pristine parks, cosy plazas, Barranco’s old town, and the best kept secrets of Miraflores – inspiring old and new architecture, and breathtaking cliff-side views of Lima Bay
Day 3 - 5: Sacred Valley
- Nestled at the foot of verdant hills the beautiful Río Urubamba Valley, known as El Valle Sagrado, the Sacred Valley resides
- Boasting a magnificent natural setting, the Sacred Valley of the Incas can be appreciated for its rich flora and fauna, bird watching, and adventure sports as well as its archaeological wealth
- Visit Awanacancha, a project that preserves ancient textile-making techniques. Continue to the fabric dyeing area where there is a display of various natural dyes and how they are applied to the textiles. Peruse the fabric dyeing area featuring a display of various natural dyes and how they are applied to textiles, and watch a weaving demonstration. You will have the opportunity to purchase the finished products from their boutique store
- Spend time at an interactive animal farm where your children can feed unusual animals such as llamas, alpacas, vicuñas and guanacos
- Continue to the local village of Pisac, famous for its colourful market which attracts travellers from all over the world. Try your hand at bartering for local sweaters, ponchos, wall hangings, jewellery, local handicrafts, and unique souvenirs
- Choose between a variety of exciting activities on your 2nd day in the Sacred Valley of the Incas. These include river rafting, mountain biking, horseback riding, quad biking (ATV), kayaking, paddle boarding & via ferrata (rock climbing) and ziplining
Day 5: Machu Picchu
- Visit the town of Ollantaytambo, with its Inca streets of stone, traditional square homes, and small markets. Explore its ruins and hike up to an Incan temple for a majestic view of the town
- After your fascinating explorations, you’ll depart from Ollantaytambo Train Station to Machu Picchu on the Vistadome train. Watch the valleys, mountains and quaint villages pass by as you look through the train’s large, panoramic windows
- Explore the fascinating citadel of Machu Picchu for three hours accompanied by your expert guide. Discover the myths, stories and theories shrouding this mysterious masterpiece. Your guide
will lead you through the site, providing archaeological and historical information on key areas of interest, including Intihuatana (the Sun Dial), the Sacred Plaza, and the Temple of the Sun
- Surrounded by the cloud forest, you’ll see the heights of the mountain Wayna Pikchu (Huayna Picchu) rising over the site, and Inti Punku (the Sun Gate) once a fortress of Machu Picchu and the entrance point to the Machu Picchu Inca trail
Day 6 - 8: Cusco
- You will have the option to do a variety of hikes including: Machu Picchu at sunrise, Huayna Picchu, Inti Punku (the Sun Gate), Inca Bridge or Machu Picchu Mountain. Your guide will be able to advise on which is the most suitable for your preferences
- Embark on a guided city tour of historical Cusco, magnificently preserved, and resplendent with colonial architecture. It showcases the apex of indigenous Quechua culture. Beautiful Spanish colonial buildings are juxtaposed with Incan walls lining the square, and a contemporary thriving nightlife flourishes
- Visit notable sites in this archaeological capital of South America, once the Incan capital. Visit the Main Square, the Cathedral, the churches of La Compañía and Santo Domingo. Your morning tour will end with a visit to the impressive fortress of Sacsayhuamán, built overlooking the city of Cusco
Day 8 - 10: Amazon
- Meet with your Amazon guide to decide on the afternoon excursion. Our recommendation is a guided walk along the trails of this protected natural area, where you will discover the Amazon Basin. This trek offers an excellent introduction to the jungle environment, winding past impressive trees such as the Shihuahuaco medicine tree, and the strangely beautiful strangler fig. This is also a wonderful opportunity for bird watching and observing exotic insects
- Enjoy a twilight river excursion, a guided afternoon boat ride on the Madre de Dios River. Witness the transformation from day to night, where animals and birds of the daytime give way to species specially adapted to the night
- Visit Lake Sandoval in the Tambopata National Reserve. Glide in a wooden canoe, across a beautiful, mirror-like oxbow lake that is home to the endangered giant river otter, as well as red howler monkeys, red-bellied macaws, anacondas, side-neck turtles, and black caimans (crocodiles)
- Explore the remarkable Inkaterra Canopy Walkway and Anaconda Walk. Your treetop tour begins by
ascending the first tower to 29 m (95 ft). Then you’ll walk through the lush rainforest canopy on a suspension bridge network linking eight observation platforms. Look out for bright toucans, woodpeckers, trogons, monkeys and the three-toed sloth
Day 10: Departure
- A ¾ hour return trip by boat on the Madre de Dios River takes you to Puerto Maldonado, where you will visit the Butterfly House. Peru boasts the greatest variety of butterflies in the world, with 3 700 known species
- Here, your Peruvian journey comes to an end, and we wave a fond farewell as you are taken to the Puerto Maldonado International Airport for your flight to Lima. Upon landing in Lima, we will assist you with your international flight connection