IDEAL FOR MULTI-GENERATIONAL FAMILIES
SOLE-USE VILLAS AND PRIVATE GUIDING THROUGHOUT
EXPLORE HISTORICAL AND CULTURAL LANDMARKS
EXPERIENCE THE BIG FIVE AND OTHER ICONIC SPECIES
GO WHALE-WATCHING WITH THE FAMILY
ENJOY SOME OF THE COUNTRY'S TOP RESTAURANTS AND WINEFARMS
Your journey at a glance
This exclusive and luxurious 15 day family journey through South Africa, is the ideal spoil that covers all the highlights of this beautiful and colourful country.
The tour includes a wide variety of included and optional experiences for family of all ages, while staying at a selection of exclusive-use villas. Explore the country’s vibrant cities, from the colourful townships and exciting history of Johannesburg to the magnificent scenery and golden beaches of Cape Town.
Delve into the City of Gold on a Johannesburg City Tour with a specialist cultural guide which includes fascinating visits to Soweto, Apartheid Museum and to Liliesleaf Farm. Immerse yourself in a brilliant safari at Madikwe Game Reserve, and indulge in luxury at &Beyond Phinda Private Game Reserve, offering not only the Big Five but many rarer and less easily spotted species, such as the elusive cheetah and the scarce black rhino.
Appreciate the beauty of a quaint village boasting the title of gastronomic capital in Franschhoek in the Cape Winelands, with superb culinary fare and splendid wines. Scan the horizons as you glide on the ocean in Hermanus and glimpse vibrant marine life, and if brave enough, come face-to-face with a shark. Revel in the magnificent playground of Cape Town, the ultimate family adventure destination, and a spectacular natural haven with unparalleled adventure, beauty, wine, and gastronomy. Arguably the best family holiday destination in South Africa, this exceptional country entices and lures you to create breathtaking family moments and magnificent experiences.
PLAN YOUR JOURNEY
This unforgettable family journey showcases just a few of our favourite experience combinations in this iconic destination. It is merely an example from which you can use to start dreaming and creating your own family memories with one of our dedicated Travel Specialists.
A taste of what to expect…
Day 1-2: Johannesburg
- After settling in to the outstanding Atholplace House & Villa is hidden within an upmarket garden suburb in Johannesburg, head off on an extraordinary Johannesburg City Tour with your incredible specialist cultural guide Howard Geach.
- Visit the historic sight of Liliesleaf Farm, where you will enjoy an introductory talk on South Africa and its history. Liliesleaf Farm is the scene of the infamous Rivonia Raid that incriminated Nelson Mandela during the Apartheid years.
- Set off on a full-day ‘Taste of South Africa History’ tour. Listen to Howard’s fascinating explanation of South Africa, its people and languages.
- Visit Johannesburg’s oldest township where you will tour a workers’ hostel, sample local food and explore the colourful and vibrant culture of the area.
- Set off on a personalised guided tour of the Apartheid Museum, with exhibits that depict events leading up to and throughout this dark period in South Africa’s history.
- Explore South Africa’s modern Constitutional Court, one of the world’s most sophisticated courtrooms.
- After a day filled with attractions, your host will drive you back to your hotel, where you will have a chance to freshen up before dinner.
Day 2-3: Madikwe
- After a delicious breakfast, you will be driven to Lanseria Airport, where you will board a private charter flight to Madikwe Game Reserve. On arrival at the airstrip, you will be met by your ranger, who will drive you to Morukuru River Lodge in a game drive vehicle.
- Experience an incredible Madikwe safari with a diverse combination of bushveld and semi-arid Kalahari scrub, the malaria-free Madikwe Game Reserve boasts the Big Five, as well as the endangered African wild dog.
- Take advantage of your private vehicle and dedicated guide and tracker team to set the pace for your own adventure.
- Set out on a game drive that explores the beautiful landscape in search of the exceptional wildlife that makes it their home, including all the members of the Big Five, as well as the rare African wild dog.
Day 3-4: Madikwe
- Enjoy a change of perspective as you set out on a bush walk that explores the intricate details of the African landscape, from insects and plants to birds and small wildlife.
- Try your hand at catch-and-release fishing in the river, or cool off with an afternoon spent water tubing at the nearby Molatedi Dam (optional seasonal activity).
- If cooking is your thing, indulge your taste buds in some local favourites with a cooking lesson from the villa’s personal chef.
- Get a glimpse of authentic local life with a visit to the Molatedi village and school (optional).
- Imbibe the sounds and scents of the African night as you spend a night in the lodge’s secluded hide.
- Learn the rhythms of Africa as you take part in a drumming session beneath open African skies (available at an additional cost).
- Delight to the athletic displays and colourful traditional costumes of a group of local dancers (available at an additional cost).
Day 4-6: Phinda Private Game Reserve, KwaZulu-Natal
- After breakfast, you will be driven back to Madikwe Airstrip where you will board a private charter flight to &Beyond Phinda Private Game Reserve. On arrival at the airstrip, you will be warmly welcomed by your ranger, who will drive you to your home for the next three nights.
- The reserve encompasses an impressive 28,555 hectares (70,560 acres) of protected wildlife land in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. Showcasing one of the continent’s finest game viewing experiences, the reserve is home to Africa’s Big Five (lion, leopard, elephant, buffalo and rhino), as well as 436 bird species.
- &Beyond Phinda Homestead is an elegant and homely sole-use villa, ideal for both families and small groups with four private bedrooms and spacious bathrooms, and comes with your own dedicated ranger, tracker, chef and butler.
- Set off on twice-daily game drive in your private vehicle expcloring the reserve’s diverse landscapes in search of the Big Five, as well as the elusive cheetah and the rare black rhino.
- &Beyond has an incredible WILDchild programme for the kids that is filled with fun, interactive activities. Choose to relax or join the children as they set off on fishing and tracking expeditions with your dedicated ranger or unleash their creative side by painting the game drive vehicle.
Day 6-8: Phinda Private Game Reserve, KwaZulu-Natal
- Enjoy a half-day outing to the vast sandy beaches of the nearby coastline on a Maputaland beach trip. Soak up the sun, splash in the warm waters of the Indian Ocean, play beach games, take a leisurely stroll along the coastline or snorkel in the balmy waters of a protected marine reserve.
- If you are visiting between November and February, set off on a thrilling night-time turtle adventure along the beaches of Sodwana Bay in search of the enormous leatherback and loggerhead turtles that emerge from the Indian Ocean to lay their eggs in the sand (optional).
- During your stay, choose to set off into the bush on foot on a tracking adventure that teaches you how to follow animal tracks, recognise middens and scratching posts and read the signs of the bush.
- Explore a nearby Zulu village and gain insight into how the local people combine the modern way of life with rural traditions.
- If you choose, come face to face with a rhino as you assist in a rhino notching conservation experience that sees this majestic beast tranquilised from a helicopter, while a team of conservation workers and veterinarians mark his ears and take samples (subject to availability and at an additional cost).
Day 9: Cape Town and the Winelands
- After breakfast, you will be driven back to the airstrip, where you will board a private charter flight to Cape Town International Airport. A member of the &Beyond team will be waiting to welcome you and help you on board a helicopter for your flight to Franschhoek in the Cape Winelands.
- Soar over the famous Victoria & Alfred Waterfront and fly above the famous beaches of Clifton, Camps Bay, the quirky penguins at Boulders Beach and vast golden secluded beaches.
- Enjoy magnificent views of Table Mountain, the Cable Car travelling to the summit of the mountain, Robben Island, the Twelve Apostles and enjoy aerial views of the coastline from Llandudno to Hout Bay.
- Fly above famous Chapman’s Peak and admire the landmarks of Noordhoek, False Bay and Cape Points before landing at Franschhoek.
- The quaint delightfully charming town of Franschhoek boasts a pretty street flourishing with top notch restaurants, exquisite antique shops, elegant cafes and a glorious atmosphere of bonhomie. On the periphery of the quaint charming village Franschhoek boasts sublime, prestigious wine farms and vineyards.
- Spend the next two nights at the beautiful La Clé des Montagnes in the Winelands.
Day 10: Stellenbosch, Cape Winelands
- Set off on an unusual tour of the picturesque Stellenbosch Winelands.
- You will be chauffeured to the beautiful town of Stellenbosch, where you will select a bicycle and helmet, for your wine tour in Cape Town.
- From there, set off on a leisurely cycle tour of the area, stopping at the exquisite wineries and a renowned brandy distillery.
- Experience decadent and daring pairing combinations as you visit one of the smallest estates in the valley, sample local meats and cheeses while looking out at beautiful views of the vineyards find the ideal combination of gourmet pizza and wine and try the unusual pairing of chocolate with some of the finest brandies in the world.
Day 10: Hermanus, Cape Whale Coast
- Today, you will be collected for your journey to beautiful Hermanus, in the renowned Cape Whale Coast region, stopping en route at the enchanting Hemel en Aarde Wine Valley.
- Be captivated on an off-the-beaten track wine tasting experience amidst the spectacular Cape Whale Coast. The Hemel-en-Aarde (Heaven on Earth) Wine Route, is a dazzling journey offering a fabulously memorable alternative to exploring South Africa’s first-class wines including chardonnay and pinot noir.
- Spend the next two nights at the magnificent Grootbos Garden Lodge where a wide varity of activities are on offer
- Enjoy guided walks including fynbos nature tours and milkwood walks, nature, marine and coastal drives, including the Walker Bay Nature Reserve, De Kelders Cliff Walk, Klipgat Cave combined with seasonal land-based whale watching (whale watching especially during June – December).
Day 11: Hermanus, Cape Whale Coast
- Set off for an exhilarating ocean experience. On offer are two incredible adventures of either unforgettable whale watching activity or a thrilling shark cage diving experience; however, if the choice is too difficult you can opt to do both!
- Whale Watching: The ultimate whale coast experience, these giants of the sea won’t be the only things you’ll see on this exceptional 2½ hour adventure. Your boat will launch in the quaint harbour of Kleinbaai, in Gansbaai, which will make its way toward the Pearly Beach area — which is home to the southern right whale.
- Shark Cage Diving: Perfect for the ultimate daredevils and pure nature enthusiasts start your day early in the charming coastal village of Gansbaai, at the Great White House. Surrender your fears and delve deep into the ocean, coming face to face with a curious shark, fear not – you are protected in your submerged cage.
- Depart on an Eco Marine Trip to Dyer Island and look for interesting sea birds such as African Penguins, Terns, Cormorants, Petrels and Oystercatchers. A narrow channel known as Shark Alley separates Dyer Island and Geyser Rock, home to a colony of 60 000 Cape Fur Seals.
Day 12-13: Cape Town
- Today, you will travel to Cape Town in style with Cape Town Private Tours, and if you wish, will be picked up in a chauffeur-driven vintage World War II motorcycle with a sidecar.
- Revel in magnificent views of the Cape as you are driven to your hotel at Cape Town’s Victoria & Alfred Waterfront, the One&Only Cape Town.
- Vibrant, cosmopolitan and an eclectic mix of old and new, this laid-back city is as much at home with its 17th century castle – whose cannons have never been fired in anger – as it is with its sleek skyscrapers and trendy malls.
- Explore the scenic city of Cape Town on a family adventure that begins with a ride on the revolving cable car up to the top of iconic Table Mountain. Marvel at spectacular views over the city and the entire Cape Peninsula as you stroll along its flat top or, if the weather is not favourable, explore the smaller peak known as Signal Hill.
- Get kitted out with a wetsuit and snorkelling gear and spend the afternoon in the water, frolicking with Cape fur seals. Don’t forget your camera to capture ideal shots.
- Head into the dunes to master the basics of sand boarding (or bum boarding for the very little ones) and embark on an off-road quad bike adventure (younger kids can comfortably sit behind parents) winding your way through scrubby bush and shifting sands.
Day 13-14: Cape Town
- Meander the street of Bo-Kaap, the oldest Malay settlement in South Africa where brightly coloured houses vie for space with mosques and shops. Lunch and dinner is at the Bo-kaap Kombuis Restaurant, where spicy and fragrant dishes are savoured over spectacular views of Table Mountain and the city below.
- Optionally, explore the spectacular landscapes of the West Coast riding a powerful quad bike along designated trails.
- Board a luxury yacht for a half-day cruise on the ocean waters.
- Cruise the beautiful Cape coastline, marvelling at rich marine life and magnificent views of the shore, with its golden beaches and soaring mountains.
- Be spoiled by a full crew and a dedicated stewardess serving a selection of snacks, as well as local wines and beers.
- Enjoy your last night in Africa with the family by having the chef at your villa prepare your favourite local meal or enjoy dinner at the restaurant at the One&Only.
- After breakfast, a chauffeured luxury vehicle will take you back to Cape Town International Airport, where your adventure with us will end.
- Accommodation as specified in the itinerary
- Meals, drinks and laundry as specified
- Private charter flights as specified in the itinerary
- Private/Scheduled transfers as specified in the itinerary
- Private/Scheduled sightseeing and excursions as specified in the itinerary
- Private game viewing activities as specified in the itinerary
- National parks, concession and landing fees where applicable
- Emergency medical evacuation insurance
- Domestic departure tax, fuel and safety levies from airports and airstrips
- Welcome and assistance service at all airports
- Administration fee
What's not included
- Travel Insurance is not included. However, should you be interested, we can introduce you to our recommended partner, Global Rescue.
Read MoreGlobal Rescue has been operating across the globe for a number of years, and is an independent service provider to &Beyond, with no legal affiliation to our company. Should you wish to procure travel insurance products through Global Rescue, such services or products will be governed by terms and conditions solely determined by Global Rescue. It is wholly your responsibility to be fully acquainted with Global Rescue’s terms and conditions contained on its website regarding the use of its services or its products prior, to, and after, your purchase.
- Itinerary based on a minimum of 6 guests (4 adults & 2 children); please contact us for a quote specific to your group’s configuration
- Minimum nights stay may apply at some of the properties over certain dates
- Costs of lunches & dinners not included in Johannesburg, Franschhoek and Cape Town (except for one lunch in Cape Town)
- Whale Watching is seasonal (only available from June to December)
- Validity periods are as specified above; should a booking fall over two rate periods the rate will change and we reserve the right to re-quote
- The rates quoted are subject to change without warning if there are any increases in bed levies, park fees, fuel, sales tax or VAT, third-party services or any other circumstances beyond our control in South Africa
- Rates are subject to change
- &Beyond trading terms apply
Channel your inner travel addict
You’re just 5 easy (and fun) steps away from creating your ideal Travel Dream Board.
Step 1: Select which part of the planet you wish to explore
Step 2: Clarify what kind of traveller you are
Step 3: Tick off those grand bucket list experiences that will fire your imagination
Step 4: Log in to create and add to your Dream Board
Step 5: Share & start dreaming