While game viewing remains central to the itineraries of most guests, each of our lodges also offers them unique culinary experiences.
During one of my recent stays at &Beyond Sandibe Okavango Safari Lodge in Botswana, I was treated to a variety of wonderful dishes. This got me chatting to their executive chef, Murray Weakley who was kind enough to share a few of the recipes I enjoyed particularly.
Chilled Carrot, apple and ginger soup
1.5kg Carrots – roughly chopped
1kg Apples – cored and roughly chopped
1 knob Ginger – peeled and chopped
6 tins Coconut Milk
- Place all the ingredients except the salt in a large pot and simmer for roughly 1 hour, until the carrots start to break apart.
- Place in the blender in batches.
- Blend, strain and season.
- Place in the fridge to chill until ready to serve.
Slow-braised pork belly
Parsnip puree, roast parsnip, peaches, charred onion & cashew nuts
For the pork belly
3kg Pork Belly
2 tins Apricot Jam
1 cup Soy Sauce
1 cup Red Wine Vinegar
1 cup Water
- Place the pork belly in a deep roasting dish, and cover with the remaining ingredients.
- Cover with foil and place in the oven for 2.5 hours.
- To make the apricot glaze, take the liquid the pork belly was cooked in, and thicken with maizena.
For the parsnip puree
1 punnet Parsnips
- Chop the parsnips, and place in a large pot with the milk.
- On a low heat, let the parsnips cook in the milk for about 1 hour. They should be very very soft.
- Strain the milk.
- Place the parsnips and the butter into the blender and blend until smooth.
- Season with salt
For the Cashew Nuts
2 cups Cashews
- Toast the cashews in the oven for about 10 minutes
- Roughly chop and season with salt
2 tins Peaches
2 punnets Parsnips – halved and blanched
1kg Baby Onion – halved, blanched and roasted
2kg White Sugar
1l Sparkling Wine
20ml Lemon Juice
1 Egg White
- Bring the water and Sparkling Wine to the boil and stir in the sugar to dissolve.
- Remove from the heat and add the lemon juice.
- Allow cooling completely.
- Whisk the egg white until stiff and beat into the chilled mixture.
- Place into the ice-cream churner, and churn until set.
LET ME PLAN YOUR JOURNEY
We can’t wait to welcome you to the world of &Beyond and would love to tailor-make your journey to one of our iconic destinations.