October is the beginning of summer time in Africa and one of the best times to be on Safari if you are looking for good game viewing at the end of the busy season.
A year ago I had the wonderful opportunity of visiting some of our preferred partner properties in the Okavango Delta. At the time the northern Botswana region had received limited rainfall and the water levels of the delta were extremely low. However this did mean excellent game viewing and by combining a few different areas we were able to enjoy a variety of wildlife experiences.
To experience the Okavango Delta I would suggest spending quality time and include a number of different areas. Also combines well with Victoria Falls which is a great way to start or end off your safari, and is a lovely option to include instead of the beach for a peaceful and relaxing element to your trip.
Sable Alley and Tuludi are beautiful camps in the private Khwai concession near the river so offer mekoro rides most of the year as well as game drives (and boating).
We saw plenty wildlife including wild dog and Bateleur eagle (the iconic &Beyond bird).
Both are more modern and contemporary in style. Tuludi offers lots of space, wooden decks, private pools and views over the surrounding grassy plains. A beautiful lodge to end your luxury safari!
For good game viewing and water activities most of the year, try Mapula Lodge located in the northern Okavango Delta. A comfortable and rustic tented lodge that offers an authentic safari experience and good value!
For Adventure and Night sounds, try Skybeds – experience staying out in the open under the stars. Safe and sound high off the ground, you sleep on the top platform where you can hear the wildlife from nearby waterhole.
Booked exclusively this experience is perfect for combining an outdoor sleepout with a guided walk!
Opportunity of close up sightings of elephant and other wildlife.
For the best and most exhilarating experience from the air and birds eye view over the Okavango Delta – try a helicopter flip. A very different experience to a charter flight and one I recommend for anyone going to Botswana.
For a Family experience like no other, visit a remote camp where you have exclusive use followed by a luxury permanent camp or lodge in the Okavango Delta
Every season offers something different, but if you want a safari in remote locations with water and land activities, nature all around you, and fantastic sunsets then Botswana is for you!
The dry season in Botswana is from April to October, with the rains falling from November through to March. In general, game viewing in Botswana is best between May and November. Whilst the green season has plenty birdlife and generally good game!
• Jan & Feb – the bush is alive, spectacular afternoon storms and plenty birds
• March is the best time to combine with Victoria Falls at its peak!
• April is the change of seasons with temperatures beginning to cool down
• May the flood waters start to trickle down from Angola to the top of the Okavango Delta
• June and July you will find more animals congregating around waterholes with flood waters beginning to arrive in the Okavango Delta
• August is drier with water sources beginning to dry up and plenty of action
• September brings drier conditions with summer temperatures and large herds of buffalo and elephant
• October is really hot, but great for game viewing
• November is good for photography as there is visibility, action and colour (from about mid-Nov the rains start to come)
• Dec brings more rain storms, pans are full, and it is the start of the birthing season, with the life cycle beginning again
LET ME PLAN YOUR JOURNEY
Let me help you create your perfect travel experience