A land of breath-taking contrasts, Botswana’s natural wonders range from the vast salt pans of the Makgadikgadi, with its granite outcrops and twisted baobabs, to the sandy plains of the Kalahari and the lush oasis of the Okavango Delta. Vast elephant herds splash and spray in the cool waters of the Chobe River and an annual migration of zebra meanders through the Linyanti and Savute areas. The rock paintings of the San Bushmen survive untouched in the Tsodilo Hills, while their way of life continues undisturbed in the remote Kalahari.
Nowhere else on the planet can you float between reeded channels in a dugout canoe while around you antelope splash through crystal clear water. Yet Botswana also offers excellent land-based game viewing. The Chobe National Park is home to the world’s largest herds of elephant and offers regular sightings of predators, and rare and endangered animals. There is something for everyone in Botswana – photographers will seek out the star beauty of the Kalahari Desert and birdwatchers will flock to the Moremi Game Reserve.
- Vast stretches of untouched, unfenced wilderness with unrivalled game viewing
- One of the largest game populations in Southern Africa
- Annual zebra migration
- The Big Five as well as the rare and endangered African wild dog
- Over 600 indigenous bird species
- Home to the world’s largest inland delta and UNESCO World Heritage Site, the Okavango Delta
- The largest elephant herds in the world in Chobe National Park
- Over 3 500 San rock paintings at the World Heritage Site of the Tsodilo Hills
Few places in Africa offer as much to visitors as Botswana. A favourable exchange rate, superb accommodation and infrastructure, coupled with a safe and stable environment make this a great country to visit.
Botswana is a great destination for a family safari. Some lodges cater for specific age groups and arrange exciting activities for youngsters. However, the recommended age for children on safari is six years and older, and some lodges do not take children under 12. &Beyond can advise you about the best family travel options.
Summer (October – April)
Winter (May – September)
Rainfall: October/November – March