Take your travels out of the mainstream
With the spin of those busy mid-year holidays just around the corner, we thought you might like to move off the travel highway in July and August, and discover some up-close-and-remarkable journeys beyond the crowds. There is a rare magic in each of these profiled offerings that span our &Beyond portfolio across Africa, Asia and South America.
From the superb game sightings of South Africa’s winter safari season, to the blissful surrounds of an East African private island; from the Himalayan splendour of Ladakh’s rain-free summer, to Chile’s adventure wonderland of desert and snow; from Tanzania’s secret gems, to the land and water treasures of Botswana, you have a world of experiences to choose from.
The perfect winter getaway
If you’re looking for the perfect winter getaway beyond the crowds, Chile has it all. From the thrill of snow sports and winter trekking, to out-of-this-world stargazing in the Atacama Desert, you’re spoilt for choice.
Chile’s Lake District: where the spirit of adventure lives
- &Beyond Vira Vira, set within a tapestry of lake, river and forest beauty, with the snow-capped peak of the Villarrica Volcano towering above the landscape.
- This is a year-round destination, with no less than 39 curated experiences on offer.
- For snow enthusiasts, there is something for the whole family:
- Expert skiers will love our ski-touring, snowmobile, snowboard and heli-skiing options
- There are ski-packages, including ski lessons, for beginners
- Snowshoeing is a fun activity that needs absolutely no experience
- Rich cultural interactions with the indigenous Mapuche community are also available
Imagine sand boarding in the Atacama Desert one day and snowboarding the slopes of Villarrica Volcano the next.
Explore the rugged beauty of this starkly dramatic landscape of moonscapes, salt flats, hot springs and geyser fields, dominated by one of the world’s most beautiful starscapes.
With the mid-year holiday break of July and August just a few months away, we’re inviting you to ‘get lost’ with us in some of Africa’s most beautiful places. Whether South Africa, Southern Africa, or East Africa is on your travel radar, we have a selection of highlights, experiences and journeys just for you.
Sunshine, blue skies, and generally mild temperatures set the welcoming winter tone in South, Southern and East Africa, with safari viewing at its captivating best. It’s also the ideal time for a private-island holiday in Mozambique or Zanzibar.
South Africa’s winter highlights
Safari prime time
Wildlife sightings come into their own throughout South Africa over this period, with dry, clear and temperate days, thinning undergrowth, and the waterholes a guaranteed drawcard. Malaria-free options include those reserves in the Kalahari and Eastern Cape.
Whale breeding season
This is THE time to catch the breeding season of the southern right whales in all its breaching glory off the western coast.
Cape Town’s secret season
While there’s an average of 10 days a month of rain during this green season, temperatures are relatively mild, and the general absence of crowds adds a rare exclusivity to the Mother City’s magnificent offerings.
Southern Africa’s winter highlights
Sensational Botswana land safaris
As the dry season progresses in the months of July and August, with little to no rain, the undergrowth dies back and many water sources dry up, with a resulting concentration of animals around waterholes and rivers.
Prime Okavango Delta water safaris
Water levels are at their highest over the Delta’s winter season, making this the ideal time for game-viewing cruises and mokoro excursions that bring you within a breath of the wildlife.
Thundering Victoria Falls
This is the perfect time to combine the breathtaking spectacle of Victoria Falls with a Botswana safari, with warm days, cool nights and the Falls still in splendid flow.
These months showcase Botswana and the Okavango Delta at their sensational best. Our mobile camping expeditions will take you beyond the queues, to the very heart of the wildlife action. And you’ll love our July-September special offer!
Indian Ocean private-island highlights
From our private islands of Mozambique to Zanzibar, idyllic conditions are the order of the day from July to September with cooler temperatures, less humidity, and the always-balmy Indian Ocean waters.
- Explore &Beyond Benguerra Island, Mozambique, an adventure wonderland
- Explore the barefoot luxury of &Beyond Mnemba Island, Zanzibar
In the waters around &Beyond Vamizi Island, Mozambique, this is a time when you can witness remarkable natural spectacles:
- Scuba dive with the gathering of female grey reef sharks at Neptune’s Arm dive site
- Watch the humpback whale migration
- Experience the final stages of the green turtle hatching season
East Africa’s winter highlights
Beyond the migration
At this time of year, the Great Migration is moving between Kenya’s Masai Mara and the northern Serengeti, while in Tanzania’s secluded Western Serengeti, there is wildlife action galore, beyond the crowds.
While the majority of southern Asia is awash in the monsoon season, and visiting crowds thin, head for India, where there are treasures that shine.
Ladakh: land of high passes
- Snow-melt opens the roads leading into the spectacular high altitude desert region of Ladakh,”Little Tibet”, in the Indian state of Jammu and Kashmir.
- Enclosed between two vast Himalayan ranges, this highland desert of peaks and valleys is a mosaic of reds, browns, greens and grey with crystal-blue alpine lakes.
- Ancient Buddhist monasteries grace high points, offering drop-away views.
- This is also the time to see the Ladakh’s rare Himalayan brown bears.
Rajasthan: land of the kings
- Monsoon magic transforms the dry and sandy landscapes of India’s largest state into a desert paradise.
- Rajasthan’s romantic city of Udaipur is a highlight destination over this period. Affectionately known as the ‘Venice of the East’, this is a picturesque city of lakes, marble palaces, hibiscus-laden gardens, fountains and pavilions.