A World Heritage Site, Victoria Falls is one of the world’s greatest natural spectacles and the stuff of legends, romance and myth.
Long before the Scottish missionary and explorer Dr. David Livingstone ‘discovered’ the Falls in 1855, the local Batonga people had named them Mosi-oa-Tunya, ‘the smoke that thunders’. Livingstone named them for his queen.
Today, the village rightly claims the title of Adrenaline Capital of Africa, home to a seemingly endless variety of adventure sports from bungee jumping to canoeing and white water rafting.
- Victoria Falls, or Mosi-oa-Tunya (Tokaleya Tonga: the Smoke that Thunders), is a waterfall in southern Africa on the Zambezi River at the border of Zambia and Zimbabwe
- The world's largest waterfall, and one of the most spectacular sights of Southern Africa
- World Heritage site and one of the seven natural wonders of the world
- Considered one of the world greatest natural spectacles
- Adrenaline Capital of Africa
- Endless variety of adventure sports
- Drift with the current and watch the life on the banks of the Zambezi slowly settle in for the night on a sunset cruise
- Sway to the slow rhythm of Africa perched high above the vegetation on an elephant back safari
- Travel back in time and savour the elegant ritual of high tea at the beautiful Edwardian-style Victoria Falls Hotel
Min 14°C/58°F Max 38°C/86°F
Min 5°C/41°F Max 20°C/68°F
- Best time to travelYearround
- WildlifeThis area is not really known as a wildlife destination, although fair numbers of wildlife do reside in Victoria Falls National Park.
- LanguagesThe official language of Zimbabwe is English. Other languages spoken include Ndebele and Shona.
- Flying to ZimbabweDaily scheduled flights link neighbouring countries with Zimbabwe. Domestic flights link Harare, Bulawayo and Victoria Falls. There are daily flights from Johannesburg to Victoria Falls and other destinations in Zimbabwe.
- CurrencyUS Dollars and South African Rands are accepted however, notes dated before 2003 are no longer accepted.
Enhance Your Experience With
- Game drives
- Bush Walks
- Fishing at Lake Kariba
- White water rafting
- Rafting and river-boarding combo
- Bungi jumping
- Gorge swing
- Zip line
- Flight of Angels
- Tour of the Falls
- Boma Dinner
- Sunset Cruise
- Victoria Falls canopy tour
Ready to start planning your adventure?
Set on a private concession with spectacular views of the mists rising over the majestic Victoria Falls and the steeply carved gorges of the Zambezi.
Zambezi Crescent Victoria Fall River Lodge is close enough to the magnificent Victoria Falls to see the spray in the distance.
The elephant stronghold of Hwange National Park is a game-rich area that was once the royal hunting grounds of the Ndebele warrior
Matusadona National Park is a place of remarkable beauty, where scenic landscapes range from flat plains to rugged mountains.