Stretching over 300 kilometres in length and covering an area of 5 000 square kilometres, the man-made Lake Kariba, filled between 1958 and 1963, is a veritable inland sea located on the mighty Zambezi River.
Flanked on all sides by pristine nature reserves, this exceptional water mass is a testament to human ingenuity and not only contributes to the people of Zimbabwe and Zambia but also to a flourishing diversity of game, fish and birdlife.
Many a memorable moment can be shared on the lake from fishing for the powerful tiger fish off a houseboat, as the sun displays its final colours before melting into the horizon, to game viewing by boat or on an interpretive guided walking safari. Not-to-be missed is the annual tiger fishing competition held in September.
- Africa's largest man-made dam
- The lake is studded with islands and flanked by mountains
- It's Zambia’s undiscovered riveira
- Offers spectacular views, stunning sunset, great fishing, boating opportunities
Min 14°C/58°F Max 38°C/86°F
Min 5°C/41°F Max 20°C/68°F
- Best time to travelYear round, whether it is summer, autumn, winter or spring - Zimbabwe is an excellent year round destination to experience.
- WildlifeEnjoy the opportunity to view elephant, buffalo and African wild dog. Other highlights include sable, soan antelope, hippo, nile crocodile, lion, leopard, kudu, zebra, impala, waterbuck, giraffe, wildebeest, African wildcat, serval, honey badger, civet and spotted hyena. Birdwatchers are spoilt for choice as they can experience an excellent array of birdlife.
- LanguagesThe official language of Zimbabwe is English. Other languages spoken include Ndebele and Shona.
- Flying to South AfricaCharter flights are operated on a private basis and are an efficient way of travelling between the major tourist areas of Victoria Falls, Hwange, Masvingo and Kariba.
- CurrencyUS Dollars and South African Rands are accepted everywhere; however, notes dated before 2003 are no longer accepted. Also, high denomination notes may not be accepted. We recommend small denominations of USD in cash.
Enhance Your Experience With
- Game drives
- Fishing at Lake Kariba
- Sunset cruise
Perched high on a hilltop, overlooking the enchanting Lake Kariba, lies the exceptional Bumi Hills Safari Lodge.
A World Heritage Site, Victoria Falls is one of the world’s greatest natural spectacles and the stuff of legends, romance and myth.
The elephant stronghold of Hwange National Park is a game-rich area that was once the royal hunting grounds of the Ndebele warrior
Ready to start planning your adventure?