Selous Game Reserve
Secluded and off the beaten track, the Selous Game Reserve offers visitors a slice of undisturbed wilderness, teeming with a spectacular array of fauna and flora. It was declared a World Heritage Site due to its dramatic landscapes and great diversity of wildlife.
The Selous is one of the few big game reserves to allow hiking, offering wildlife enthusiasts the chance to explore Tanzania’s pristine landscapes on foot.
It is amongst the largest protected areas in Africa and is relatively undisturbed by human impact.
- In the Selous walking is encouraged and the area itself makes for some of the best walking experiences in the world.
- Boat safaris are at their best in the Selous, where wildlife can be viewed from a new perspective.
- Perfect place for fly-camping under a mosquito net with the African night sky for a ceiling.
- This is the go-to reserve for all out-of the vehicle safaris in Tanzania.
- The Selous is Africa’s largest game reserve and a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- The Rufiji River is one of the largest water systems in East Africa and runs through a vast area of the Selous.
Min 20°C/68°F Max 30°C/86°F
Min 19°C/66°F Max 25°C/77°F
- Traveling with ChildrenWe recommend traveling with children 8 years old an above. The age restriction extends to a minimum of 12 years for walking and fly-camping activities.
- WildlifeThe Selous is home to the world’s largest population of African wild dog
- LanguagesThe national language in Kenya and Tanzania is Swahili, although English is widely spoken
- Flying to TanzaniaThe gateway to Tanzania is Dar es Salaam. Limited international scheduled flights also fly directly to Kilimanjaro. Daily scheduled domestic flights link these gateways with Tanzania's wildlife areas.
- CurrencyUSD and Tanzanian Shillings
Escape on a romantic beach holiday and view the wildebeest migration on this spectacular African safari to Tanzania and Zanzibar.
This African safari offers the opportunity to view the wildebeest migration and unwind on beach holiday – pure honeymoon bliss.
Beho Beho is an intimate wilderness retreat that offers its guests exceptional wildlife encounters through a variety of safari adventures.
The Ngorongoro Crater in Northern Tanzania, once a gigantic volcano, is the largest intact caldera in the world.
Lake Manyara National Park offers a wilderness experience in diverse habitats, from its Rift Valley soda lake to woodlands and steep mountainsides.
Ready to start planning your adventure?