Ngorongoro Crater Conservation Area
The Ngorongoro Crater in Northern Tanzania, once a gigantic volcano, is the largest intact caldera in the world. Some maintain that before it erupted, it would have been higher than Mt Kilimanjaro, the highest peak in Africa.
Endangered black rhino are protected within its rim, giant tusked elephants wander the forests, black-maned lions stalk the grasslands, and flamingoes crowd the soda lakes. An estimated 25 000 large mammals are resident in this bowl of plenty, including a population of approximately 6 000 resident wildebeest, 16 highly endangered black rhino and around 70 lions.
Cheetah move in and out of the Crater, while leopard are most often encountered in the spectacular Lerai Forest.
&Beyond Ngorongoro Crater Lodge, consistently recognised as one of the world’s most luxurious and elegant places to stay, sits right on the edge of the Crater, offering unbeatable views of one of the natural travel wonders of the world.
- The world’s only intact caldera - 610 metres (2 000 feet) deep and covers 260 sq kilometers (100 square miles)
- The rim of the crater is at an altitude of 2 400m (7 900 feet)
- A UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Wildlife haven, with a very high game concentration on the Crater floor.
- Breathtaking views.
- Fresh springs and large soda lake within the Crater.
- See Maasai herdsmen graze their cattle side by side with predators and prey.
- The Lerai Forest is one of the best places in Africa for leopard sightings.
20°C/68°F Max: 30°C/86°F
Min: 19°C/66°F Max: 25°C/77°F
Long rains: April to May (Monsoon)
Short rains: November to mid December
- Best time to travelYear round
- Traveling with ChildrenThere are activities for children of all ages and plenty of adventure for the whole family.
- WildlifeWithin the shelter of its walls the Crater is home to one of the highest resident game densities in Africa.
- LanguagesThe national language in Kenya and Tanzania is Swahili, although English is widely spoken.
- Flying to TanzaniaThe gateway to Tanzania is Dar es Salaam. Limited international scheduled flights also fly directly to Kilimanjaro. Daily scheduled domestic flights link these gateways with Tanzania's wildlife areas.
- CurrencyUSD & Tanzanian Shillings
Travel far off the beaten path to the remote west of Tanzania and the untouched Katavi National Park.
Roam the epic vastness of the Selous Game Reserve then lounge on the flawless beaches of private &Beyond Mnemba Island.
Explore the Serengeti, stand on the edge of the panoramic Ngorongoro Crater, then indulge in barefoot luxury on Mnemba Island.
Enhance Your Experience With
- Scenic Helicopter Flight Around Mount Kilimanjaro
- Crater Floor Banquet
- Olduvai Gorge and Shifting Sands Tour
- Maasai Delight with Pre-dinner Drinks
Ready to start planning your adventure?
Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Guests can be forgiven for losing track of which era, or even continent, they are experiencing at &Beyond Ngorongoro Crater Lodge.
Lake Manyara National Park offers a wilderness experience in diverse habitats, from its Rift Valley soda lake to woodlands and steep mountainsides.
The Serengeti National Park is one of the world’s most celebrated wilderness areas, and is renowned as the site of the annual Great Migration.