Yala National Park
Explore the pristine wilderness of Yala National Park, which showcases the best of the country’s wildlife.
Here, you will have the opportunity to witness colourful, painted storks perch on the shores of a lagoon alongside dosing crocodiles and marvel at the peacock's fan tail, resplendent in it's hues of blue and green, parade amidst the woods where monkeys chatter. The reserve is also home to a verdant bush jungle, where elephants roam, and a thorny scrub jungle where the star attraction of the park stealthily moves in the shadows – the proud leopard. Sri Lankan leopards are said to be a distinct sub-species from their Indian neighbours.
Leopards can be seen throughout the park, though best periods for viewing are January to July. Yala is also home to a considerable seasonal population of elephant – the dry season over May to August is the best period to view the park’s elephant. Birding enthusiasts will delight in the exceptional array of species in the park. Over 130 bird species have been recorded and include delights such as raptors (crested-serpent eagle and white-bellied sea eagle) and water birds such as the lesser flamingo, pelican, spoonbill, painted stork, rare black-necked stork, grey heron, purple heron, night heron and darter.
- Embark on exciting morning and evening safaris
- Keep your binoculars at hand as the park offers an exceptional array of birdlife
- Marvel at the jungle’s diverse population of wildlife, from elephant and leopard to crocodile and cheeky monkey
Year round destination
30°C / 86°F to 33°C / 91°F
- Best time to travelYear round
- WildlifeLeopard, elephants, monkeys, exceptional birdlife
- LanguagesSinhala, Tamil and English are all officially recognised languages.
- Flying to Yala National ParkBandaranaike International Airport, at Katunayake, is the International Airport for Sri Lanka and is serviced by flights from the UK, Middle East, India, Singapore and Europe.
- CurrencySri Lankan Rupee
This incredible 10-day Sri Lanka tour offers exceptional cultural, wildlife and beach excursions in three of Sri Lanka’s most iconic destinations.
Explore the industrial and cultural capital of Sri Lanka, with a not-to-be-missed tour in Colombo.
Embark on a wonderful, guided tour of historical Kandy, home to the Temple of the Sacred Tooth.
Ready to start planning your adventure?