An important and established Buddhist site, Kandy was formerly known as the city of Senkadagalapura. It served as the last capital of the Sinhalese kingdom before falling to the British in 1815.
This beautiful, laidback capital is only 115 kilometers inland yet boasts exceptional cultural and historical attractions, set amidst forested hills. Kandy is known as a pilgrimage destination for the Temple of the Tooth relic (a sacred tooth of the Buddha) and also for the Kandy Esala Perahera, an important 10 day religious festival.
- View the Temple of the Tooth Relic (a sacred tooth of the Buddha)
- Stroll amidst the beautiful surrounds of the Botanical Gardens in Peradeniya – The Kew of Kandy – started out as a royal pleasure Park in 1747.
Min 18°C/64°F Max 28°C/82°F
As Sri Lanka is close to the equator, Kandy experiences uniform weather throughout the year - except for the two months of rain (monsoon).
- Best time to travelYear round
- WildlifeMonkeys, birdlife
- LanguagesSinhala, Tamil and English are all officially recognised languages.
- Flying to KandyBandaranaike International Airport at Katunayake is the International Airport for Sri Lanka - serviced by flights from the UK, Middle East, India, Singapore and Europe.
- CurrencySri Lankan Rupee
Ready to start planning your adventure?