Colombo is the largest city on the island and is the industrial and cultural capital of Sri Lanka. Teaming with a vibrant and intoxicating mix of cultures, religions and steeped in history, Colombo is in many ways the melting pot that best reflects a modernised Sri Lanka.
The main streets, lined with colonial buildings and ancient trees, the canal system and lakes interwoven between grand houses and high-rise buildings are the landscape of the city.
The famous Galle Road, which leads to the southern city of Galle along the Southwest coasts, is a neon pathway lined with shops and buildings just a stone's throw away from the Indian Ocean.
- Enjoy a walking tour of the capital city's historical Fort and Pettah districts.
- Learn about the city's colonial past.
- Visit historical sites such as the Dutch Period Museum and the Dutch Reformed Church.
- Sample some fiery street food.
- Recap your walk over iced cold beers at the Dutch Hospital Complex.
Min 30°C/86°F Max 33°C/91°F
As Sri Lanka is close to the equator, Colombo experiences uniform weather throughout the year - except for the two months of rain (monsoon).
- Best time to travelYear round
- LanguagesSinhala, Tamil and English are all officially recognised languages.
- Flying to ColomboBandaranaike International Airport, at Katunayake, is the International Airport for Sri Lanka and is serviced by flights from the UK, Middle East, India, Singapore and Europe.
- CurrencySri Lankan Rupee
This incredible 10-day Sri Lanka tour offers exceptional cultural, wildlife and beach excursions in three of Sri Lanka’s most iconic destinations.
Embark on a wonderful, guided tour of historical Kandy, home to the Temple of the Sacred Tooth.
Nestled in a village in the ancient kingdom of Anuradhapura, Ulagalla Resort collides a previous era with the modern comforts of the present.
In the historic port of Galle, Amangalla sits within the ramparts of the 17th-century Galle Fort, a UNESCO World Heritage Site
Ready to start planning your adventure?