Steeped in history, the capital city of Nepal, Kathmandu dates back close to over 2000 years.
The Kathmandu Valley boasts the three ancient cities of Kathmandu, Patan and Bhaktapur, which were once independent states ruled by the Malla kings from the 12th to the 18th centuries. The three cities house seven UNESCO World Heritage Sites. The valley is also home to a plethora of other exquisite monuments, sculptures, artistic temples and magnificent artworks.
Unfortunately, the devastating earthquake that rocked Nepal, in 2015, damaged several monuments and temples in Kathmandu and its surrounds. The reconstruction work of the damaged monuments and temples has already begun and they will hopefully be on display within a few years.
- Explore Kathmandu’s Durbar Square (the historic seat of royalty), home to the Hanuman Dhoka, named after monkey god, Hanuman. Also, be sure to make a stop at the Patan Durbar Square, which is located in the heart of Patan City and consists of three main chowks (square). The Sundari Chowk holds a masterpiece of stone architecture, the Royal Bath called Tushahity, which is a UNESCO World Heritage Monument.
- Discover Bhaktapur (also known as Bhadgaon), which is known as the 'City of Devotees', the 'City of Culture', the 'Living Heritage', and 'Nepal's Cultural Gem'. It is one of the three royal cities in the Kathmandu Valley. The other cities are Kathmandu and Patan.
- Marvel at the Pashupatinath Temple, one of the world’s most significant Hindu temples of Lord Shiva. It is located on the banks of the holy Bagmati River and serves as the seat of the national deity, Lord Pashupatinath (Lord Shiva).
Min 15°C/59°F Max 30°C/86°F
Min 2°C/35°F Max 25°C/77°F
October to May are good months to travel to Kathmandu, with the festival of Dassian being celebrated every year in October.
- BEST TIME TO TRAVELOctober to May
- WILDLIFEMonkeys can be found around some of the monuments and temples in Kathmandu.
- FLYING TO KATHMANDUKathmandu Tribhuvan International Airport is the only International gateway to Nepal, with flights from Singapore, Bangkok, Middle East, Bhutan and India.
- CURRENCYNepali Rupee