The country's capital is a bustling metropolis that is unexpectedly neat and orderly - though this is perhaps less surprising when one considers it was a German territory for many years.
This is the main port of call for most tourists and all travellers pass through the city at least once. Windhoek lies in a pretty valley, with buildings very much in the German architectural style.
The German presence can be strongly felt in the food, restaurants — and, of course, the beer.
- Capital city and the entry point to Namibia for tourists
- Explore the township area of Katutura on a bike tour
- Learn about the pre-independence apartheid history of Windhoek
- Experience the harmonious blend of African and European cultures and the friendliness of its people
- Enjoy one of the cleanest capitals in Africa
- Tour the Old Windhoek cemeteries and view the graves of German officials, settlers, civilians and members of the Witbooi clan
Min 20˚C/68˚F; Max 40˚C/104˚F
Min 0˚C/32˚F; Max 23˚C/73˚F
Rainfall: October - April
- Best time to travelYear Round
- Traveling with ChildrenNamibia is a wonderful destination for a family safari. However, the recommended age for children on safari is six years and older and some lodges do not accommodate children under 12.
- LanguagesEnglish is widely spoken in Namibia
- CurrencyThe currency is Namibian Dollar (NAD); South African Rand (ZAR) cash is accepted
- Flying to NamibiaThere are frequent flights from Johannesburg and Cape Town to Windhoek. Scheduled flights from Maun and Victoria Falls to Windhoek are also available.
Enhance Your Experience With
- A fun-filled morning of retail therapy on a hosted shopping experience
- Experience the breathtaking sights and attractions of Windhoek on a comprehensive city tour
The Namib Desert is a world of vast spaces, endless horizons, dramatic desertscapes and jagged mountain heights.
Haunting and evocative, the Skeleton Coast is named for shipwrecks and famed for its diverse landscapes.
This charming little seaside town on Namibia’s western coast is an ideal place to relax.
Ready to start planning your adventure?