As the second largest island of the Bazaruto Archipelago, Benguerra offers exceptional opportunities to witness a slice of the very best of Mozambique’s exceptional marine life and experience an abundance of island adventures. Characterised by its towering sand dunes, inland lakes and idyllic beaches, Benguerra was declared a National Park in 1971.
It is home to over 140 bird species and the pristine waters surrounding the island, as well as the exceptional archipelago, are host to the rare dugong and one of the most pristine coral reefs in the world.
Guests visiting the island can awake to the sounds of fishermen trading their daily catch from their traditional sailing dhows and can embark on a series of adventures such as dhow cruises, diving, snorkelling and exhilarating catch-and-release deep-sea fishing.
- Situated in a protected marine conservation area
- Home to Africa’s only population of the rare dugong
- Exceptional diving opportunities
- Catch-and-release deep sea fishing and fly-fishing for game fish
- Golden sandy beaches on the coastline
- Forests, wetlands and freshwater lakes in the interior
Summer (Dec - Feb)
Min 25°C/77°F Max 34˚C/93°F
Winter (Jun - Jul)
Min 21°C/70°F Max 27°C/80°F
Hot and sunny weather year round, with little or no rainfall through most of the year.
- Best time to travelYearround
- Travelling with ChildrenGreat family destinations. There are activities for children of all ages and plenty of adventure for the whole family.
- WildlifeDive under azure waters to catch a glimpse of manta rays, reef and Zambezi sharks, dolphins, turtles and the endangered dugong
- LanguagesEnglish is widely spoken throughout South Africa.
- CurrencyThe currency is Mozambican Metical
Enhance Your Experience With
- Scuba Diving
- Castaway picnic
- Horse riding safaris - Island view safari ride
- Saltwater flyfishing / deep sea fishing
- Helicopter sightseeing
- Dhow Cruise
- Island Drives
An exquisite piece of paradise in the middle of the Indian Ocean, &Beyond Benguerra Island is a magical destination where time stands still and legends come to life.
Ready to start planning your adventure?