Made famous by conservationist Joy Adamson and the film based on her book "Born Free", Meru National Park features 13 rivers and supports a wide range of diverse habitats. It is a paradise for bird watchers, as several rare bird species are found here.
A small but highly diverse park , Meru has the feeling of a far larger wilderness and was home to Elsa the lioness of "Born Free" fame.
- Rhino Sanctuary – Meru National Park incorporates a 44km² rhino sanctuary, home to over 40 white rhino, and 20 black rhino and several babies.
- History – built overlooking the site of George Adamson’s camp in Meru, the rock was the playground of Elsa the lioness of “Born Free” fame.
- Location – currently the only fully operational lodge in Meru National Park, Elsa’s guests have the entire Park to themselves. The park is arid with Doum Palms and Baobab trees, but its 13 rivers and springs also allow for thriving riverine habitats.
Min 20°C/68°F Max 34°C/94°F
Min 11°C/52°F Max 25°C/77°F
- Traveling with ChildrenKenya offers wonderful value for families, with many properties running specialised children’s programmes.
- WildlifeThe “Samburu 5”, Reticulated Giraffe, Somali Ostrich, Beisa Oryx, Grevy’s Zebra
- LanguagesMore than 40 ethnic languages are spoken in Kenya, although the national language is Swahili.
- Flying to South MeruNairobi is the main airport for international flights.
- CurrencyKenyan Shilling (KS) or US Dollar (USD)
This adventure holiday will take you to the best of Kenya. Spend time in Nairobi, and view Meru, Laikipia and the Masai Mara on this African safari.
Enhance Your Experience With
- Maasai Cultural Visits
- Game Drives & Guided Walks
Elsa’s Kopje blends seamlessly into its surrounds. Perched high on top of Mughwango Hill, this superb lodge stands as tribute to Elsa the Lioness
Situated Southwest of Kenya, covering an area of 1 510 km2, the Masai Mara is a land of breathtaking vistas, abundant wildlife, and endless plains.
Tucked away between Tsavo West National Park and Amboseli National Park, Chyulu Hills National Park boasts striking and diverse landscapes.
Ready to start planning your adventure?